#47522  by tigerstrat

In place of the Gm9 I'll take a BbM7, as long as the bass and/or keyboard play G there. :smile:

And I'll stick with 1,2,3and's for the bridge Em & C. The 3-4 works OK but not as gracefully imo. But I'm relieved for awhile there, I had read these posts as saying 4-3, which is FUBAR.

And how about the little chromatic lick Jerry plays over the end of the first line in each verse- is that priceless or what??

#47524  by pappypgh

tigerstrat wrote:And I'll stick with 1,2,3and's for the bridge Em & C. The 3-4 works OK but not as gracefully imo.
TS - it IS 3-4. That's as graceful as it gets. It's what Weir, Phil & Keith all play. Jerry fanning over it may be what is causing your confusion. Grab a different version (or a couple of 'em, that's what I did...it will help). The count is 100% 3-4. There's no halves about it.
You may have one where they just fucked it up (it DID happen ever now & again!! ;) ) Anyhooo - just check it out. You'll see Pete was correct.

#47547  by Pete B.

What is the cord played at the end of this line?

But you really get me hi-iiigh. ???

#47548  by strumminsix

Pete B. wrote:What is the cord played at the end of this line?

But you really get me hi-iiigh. ???
D7 to Am then D7 to Fmaj7

Still waiting on "keep on trying but I"...

#47551  by pappypgh

I just play a D7....I think that D - Am - D - Fmaj7 may work, but you'll notice no one is playing chords behind that (Supplication riff). It's Phil with the drummers. You just hang on a D7, then the lead player comes in noodling in D.

The "I keep on trying but I..." seems like it starts on an Em7 the first half, then goes to G the 2nd half.

#47557  by Pete B.

O.K here's what I've got going so far on this one...

The intro, etc, is based on listing from this Live version:
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1977-1 ... eok.flac16

These are just some of my current thoughts on the tune. I'll try to get an up-to-speed version posted later.
~pb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbEJWfrEv2k[/youtube]
Last edited by Pete B. on Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#47561  by jonarobb

Pete,

If you listen to the 76' rehearsals on LMA you can clearly hear Jerry do the intro line with a simple Cmaj7 arpeggio and G arpeggio. He starts the line on the low E string, 7th fret (C), he grabs the G major arpeggio from the A string 10th fret. That D hang note that you're playing at the 10th fret, high E string with your pinky before resolving to the Fmaj7, that wouldn't be correct for the 76-77 versions. Jerry does end up on a D but it's the G string, 7th fret after fleshing out a piano style G major arpeggio noted above....

#47564  by Pete B.

I made a version specific edit to the yt above (I just assumed eveybody knew the "normal" way to play it 8) ).

I know, the Boys play it alot of different ways on the many versions i've listened to.
I have at least 3 ways to play the intro worked up.
There are a lot of cool licks and chordal jams in this one.
I'm in the process of playing along with a drum track set to 7/4 (using a digitech jamMan).
Repatition training, if you will (for vocal, too).
As they say...
Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time!
:cool:

#47565  by jonarobb

Pete B. wrote:I made a version specific edit to the yt above (I just assumed eveybody knew the "normal" way to play it 8) ).

I know, the Boys play it alot of different ways on the many versions i've listened to.
I have at least 3 ways to play the intro worked up.
There are a lot of cool licks and chordal jams in this one.
I'm in the process of playing along with a drum track set to 7/4 (using a digitech jamMan).
Repatition training, if you will (for vocal, too).
As they say...
Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time!
:cool:
Very cool. I'm guilty of loving the earlier versions. That is a great recording though. Garcia is so upfront in the mix!

#47598  by Tennessee Jedi

Cool vid Pete B. !
:D

#47601  by strumminsix

Great vid, Pete!

#47603  by pappypgh

All I can say is thank GOODNESS for Bob Weir for writing such a kick-ass tune that is causing us such agony!!! I LOVE IT!

I wish someone KNEW Weir and could get him to get in on this thread!!! HAHA!!!

#47620  by tigerstrat

pappypgh wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:And I'll stick with 1,2,3and's for the bridge Em & C. The 3-4 works OK but not as gracefully imo.
TS - it IS 3-4. That's as graceful as it gets. It's what Weir, Phil & Keith all play. Jerry fanning over it may be what is causing your confusion. Grab a different version (or a couple of 'em, that's what I did...it will help). The count is 100% 3-4. There's no halves about it.
You may have one where they just fucked it up (it DID happen ever now & again!! ;) ) Anyhooo - just check it out. You'll see Pete was correct.
I guess you guys are right about that count. It's often easier to play instinctively through a rhythm than to count it out accurately, especially a syncopated one in an odd siggy. I think you are probably right about my focus on Garcia's non-chordal part smearing my perception a little bit; however he wasn't so much fanning through the change in my referenced version (2/26/81, not F'd-up by any stretch), but arpeggiating through it.

Gm9 :cool:

#47621  by pappypgh

tigerstrat wrote:I think you are probably right about my focus on Garcia's non-chordal part smearing my perception a little bit; however he wasn't so much fanning through the change in my referenced version (2/26/81, not F'd-up by any stretch), but arpeggiating through it.

One man's fanning is another man's arpeggiating! :lol:

BTW - There is NO Lazy Lightning on 2/26/81! What are you talkin' about?! I have a GREAT copy of that show...Chicago, Uptown Theater. Good Althea! Good Truckin'! No Lazy Lightning. :-?

#47622  by Tennessee Jedi

Small world Pappy - I was just thinking "What Good shit can I send to Pappy ?".
How bout Uptown Theater run - 2/26/81,2/28/81,2/29/81.
There is no L Lightening either.

:smile: