#47324  by tigerstrat

Henry wrote:One Bob song I really like, even though not written by him, is "New Minglewood Blues", particularly the 80s version that starts on the I chord, especially those that really rock hard... always makes me smile.
That one is called "All New Minglewood Blues", a Grateful Dead title, and you probably could give Bob credit for the rearrangement and additional lyrics. The older one (pre-'79, I believe) version was called "New, New" and is pretty much a straight cover of the last version that Noah Lewis cut.

#47331  by Django

When I was young I thought the line from 'Walk in the Sunshine' was "de-sex your wristwatch'!
That puzzled me, maybe Tigerstrat gave me the influential Zappa connection I needed. :?

Later I learned what deep six referred to. Just another of the many folk sayings I first heard from the Dead.

Estimated Prophet is my current favorite.

#47348  by bucketorain

no has mentioned:

Mindbender (Confusion's Prince),

#47349  by tigerstrat

bucketorain wrote:no has mentioned:

Mindbender (Confusion's Prince),
Do we know that Bob had a part in writing it? iirc correctly its a duet vocal between Phil and Jerry, but I could easily be wrong.

#47351  by strumminsix

I can hear Bobby singing in Mindbender.
(i think)

#47352  by tigerstrat

strumminsix wrote:I can hear Bobby singing in Mindbender.
(i think)
Maybe its a full trio then. I don't think Bob actually sings solo lead on a GD original (other than one verse of You Don't Have To Ask) until Other One in late '67.
 #119697  by Willow333

Walk in the Sunshine is one of Weir's greatest masterpieces. Anyone who doesn't respect the work and general meaning is LOST. We will pray for you and what's up with the gay comments- not cool. Peace out :cool:
 #119699  by Jimaroe

I can't order them, but here goes:
Cassidy (home of one of the greatest lyrics of all time: "Catch colt draws a coffin cart")
Playin
Me and my Uncle >Mexicali (layin back in old saloon)
Other One
Feel like a stranger (so let's get on with show)
Jack Straw (who doesn't like to share the women and the wine)
Estimated
Corrina (let the flaming commence)
Good Lovin
 #119702  by mrMix

strumminsix wrote:
Jimaroe wrote: Corrina (let the flaming commence)
Love it! It's a helluva jam too!
I think i have a recording of Bobby with Les Claypool doing Corrina>Jam>Terrapin - very very good!
 #119708  by Jimaroe

mrMix wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
Jimaroe wrote: Corrina (let the flaming commence)
Love it! It's a helluva jam too!
I think i have a recording of Bobby with Les Claypool doing Corrina>Jam>Terrapin - very very good!
Man, I agree. I'm sure y'all have seen the Tri studio Corrina acoustic jam. I love it. I also love the footage on the new DVD release pack. The show escapes me, it's later I wanna say early 1990's but its sick. Shake it up now!!
 #119709  by mgbills

In the '80's the only good things I could say about Bob were:

1) Estimated
2) The Other One
3) Cassidy
4) Sugar Mag

Today I would add to my top 10:
5) Playin'
6) Mexicali
7) GSET
8) Lazy/Sup
9) Jack Straw
10) Throwing Stone or Let it Grow.

But I like most others except:
:? Looks Like Rain - Love the Jerry parts, the sappy lyrics make me want a potty break
:? Esau - Couldn't believe they pulled this at the Edgefield. Why? Does this song have a redeeming quality?
:? Corrina - Ug. :drink: Haven't suffered it since roughly ...late 80's (?) 90's (?)

Just listened to the Acoustic TRI Corrina - Ok...that is cool. Maybe it was the Technica sound from the waning Dead days.
 #119718  by mijknahs

1. New Potato Caboose
2. Black Throated Wind
3. Greatest Story
4. Lazy Lightning
5. Estimated Prophet
6. Samson & Delilah
7. Let it Grow
8. Music Never Stopped
9. Playing in the Band
10. Jack Straw
 #119720  by Phil Lesh101

mijknahs wrote:1. New Potato Caboose
That isn't a Bob Weir song. Words by Robert Petersen, music by Phil Lesh
 #119722  by mijknahs

Phil Lesh101 wrote:
mijknahs wrote:1. New Potato Caboose
That isn't a Bob Weir song. Words by Robert Petersen, music by Phil Lesh
But Bob still sang it. Bob didn't write the lyrics or music of Mama tried, Big River, etc. but they're still "Bob songs".