#44167  by bucketorain

thanks for the vid Benny. I think this is the tab for that riff you are showing us at the end.

E|-------------------------------
B|-------------------------------
G|------------------9--8---------
D|-----------9--11--------11--9--
A|--7--8\11----------------------

#44174  by bucketorain

bodiddley wrote:So what are the chords for the jamming/solo parts? Is it the same as the intro? Emaj7/A/Emaj7?

Anyone know of a real nice slow version to practice a long with? I feel like I'm finally getting a handle on the basicss but most versions go too fast for me to keep up with.
I used to play this song all the time and last night I played it again and I rember playing the jam as a E - Bm and or Em7 - Bm and varitions in between.

TAB

#44963  by jladarkstar

Excellent job performing this song, shakedown, it was a great help. Would it be possible for someone to post a tab of the melody following the C#m chord (starts around 1:15 of the video)

Much thanks to everyone who contributes to this site - it is greatly appreciated :o

#44986  by Dozin

bucketorain wrote:thanks for the vid Benny. I think this is the tab for that riff you are showing us at the end.

B|-------------------------------
G|------------------9--8---------
D|-----------9--11--------11--9--
A|--7--8\11----------------------

When I do the chorus G & C with the lick it's like this

E|--7---8---
B|--8---8---
G|--7---9---
D|--10--10--
A|----------
E|----------

E|-----------------------
B|-----------8--7--------
G|-----------------9--7--
D|--7--8--9--------------
A|-----------------------
E|-----------------------

#45003  by Pete B.

I did a Vid for the Eyes intro/outro Emaj7 jam that was intended to demonstrate the benefits of knowing the scales that overlay with the chord forms ala the CAGED system.
I basically use ascending/decending triplets to try to show playing vertically within one form, moving from one form to the next, and moving horizontally through a coupla forms.
I did this one on a 7-stringer with no fret markers, uhh... sorry 'bout that!
I want to do a followup showing the EMaj7>Bm, EMaj7>Bm>A, and G#m, jams for soloing out of the CAGED positions. I have the backround tracks ready, just need to git'er'done one of these days.
Pete B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR8f0Do9tAQ

#45004  by Tennessee Jedi

Pete For Prez
:smile:

#45062  by old man down

Got up early today, like 4:30 am, broke out my nylon string, and began playing eyes. Very similar to shakedowns. Even both 7th fret and 4th fret Emaj7ths. But for the lower 4th fret Emaj7 you really don't need the bass note and so it is an easy, lazy, fall off to the lower Emaj7th from the A just a fret above. I use a whole barre on all of these chords so that my index finger, right before the hand joining knuckle, carrys the weight of the chords by anchoring down the high E string for my reference point. It all becomes child's play in this way.

I play the chords and then try to get the Jerry noodles going. (What was in the video is really Bob's part.)

I really think this song was an eye opener for Jerry to work some really correct chromaticism. This is especially apparent when you go to the Emaj7 jam followed by the Bm jam.

For these two jams to be linked you are using an E major scale for the Emaj7 and then when the Bmin chord occurs you switch to the A major scale. You keep going back and forth between these two scales.

Here's where the correct chromaticism comes in:

9th fret E major scale
e|*| |*|*
B|*|*| |*
G|*| |*|
D|*| |*|
A|*| |*|*
E|*| |*|*

You mess around with the E and B strings and as you're coming down the key shifts to A major and you then have:

9th fret A major scale
e|*|*| |*
B|*|*| |*
G|*| |*|
D|*| |*|*
A|*| |*|*
E|*|*| |*

So, the high E string gets a descending run of all four notes as you go from the E major scale to the A major scale.

Although the E major scale has a hand shift to the lower 8th fret on the G string (not shown) for most manuevering, still you can see how closely related these two keys are, the E and the A major scales.

If you really play around with these two scales, all over the neck, you will quickly grasp what attracted Jerry to this intertwining. Not only that, but you will instantly hear the key shift on the not-in-common notes, especially if you imagine the Eyes jam.

It's too early and arduous for me to list all the other occurances of the chromaticism but the really neat thing is that you are playing inside the key the whole time since the chord change happens just an instant before the "wrong" note would be played, the chromatic run note.
 #93503  by Billbbill

capntripps9 wrote:why wont my links post right?
You need to use the youtube anchors and put only what is after the "=" sign between them.

On the topic I, and I believe most here, go to B dorian (e mixolydian) over the Bm. Sounds like you're changing up somewhat but you only mention E ionian. Not really sure if you're doing anything different over the Bm...
 #93505  by capntripps9

ahhh yes you are right, something i need to work on, thanx man....learning when to chg scales is one of the (many) things i have trouble with...
 #93509  by dleonard

Don't overthink it. The change from E ionian to B dorian (or E mixo --> same notes) is ONE note. The 7 note (Eb) goes to the flat 7 (D)
 #93513  by Billbbill

dleonard wrote:Don't overthink it. The change from E ionian to B dorian (or E mixo --> same notes) is ONE note. The 7 note (Eb) goes to the flat 7 (D)
Right - a cool thing you can do as well is not play EITHER Eb or D and riff for a bit as the rest of the notes are the same.
 #106970  by Jon S.

Thanks for the video, I definitely appreciate the reality check on the lick! Follow-up question: is there a tab anywhere to the middle part changes that the Dead did at times like this show? Thanks.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/K7Njx95g/G ... 12-2-.html