Place for the rest of the music

#42455  by strumminsix

Again, Csus4.

#42457  by DenverEd

I've always played the F (Csus4). It provides a nice mirror to the G C (Gsus4) thang.

#42463  by strumminsix

Oh, this is a J vs B thing me thinks....

Bobby hits the Cs4 not Jerry.

#42464  by Tennessee Jedi

Hey -anyone else fret that 3rd fret C barre like Jerry ? I do all my A string barre chords that way - I guess 'cause I'm hobbit sized.
Using the 1st finger and the pinky ?
Wonder what the deal-eo is with that ?
Any theories ?
Strum ?
:smile:

#42513  by mttourpro

Ah, one of those "easy" songs that overly complicated. I'm not so sure the GD really did it the same way with any real consistency. It is definitely a song that gets played a lot of different ways by bands, especially in terms of rhythm.

As for the F chord in the C chord part of the verse. It is there. No doubt.

As for G>Gsus vs G>C, I play the C.

As for the rhythm, I think there's a consistent difference in the rhythm from the beginning/verses and the end of the song.

The other thing that often gets messed up is the chords of the chorus. I played it wrong for ten years. Lots of folks play

D C G C D
Move

it's really

D Amin G C D

as for the "Bams", hit on the 2,3 at the last two lines of the first solo and hit 4,5 at the last two lines of the second.

Fun tune to play for sure.

#42517  by Tennessee Jedi

Sorry Pro
I dont hear it - the F thing.
Garcia (at least in the above version ) stays on a C chord.
I dont really dont think it mimics the G/C part.
Of course what the other instruments do is up to them.
:smile:

#42521  by mttourpro

Yeh, after I posted that I kinda thought more about it. I definitely do play the C and Fs, but I don't play guitar.

I have played that tune with a lot of different bands and it's definitely true to say none of them played it quite the same way. :D

#42528  by strumminsix

BlobWeird wrote:Strummin is right though. If you listen, Bobby is hittin the Csus4. He is doin the same rhythm thru both parts. G G G Gsus4 G.. Then for the verse it seems, to my ears from Bobby, to be C C C Csus4 C.
Bingo!

#42529  by Chuckles

Along with his single note noodling fills, Bobby also would sometimes move up and down in 6ths, which brings the F in.

#42530  by strumminsix

Chuckles wrote:Along with his single note noodling fills, Bobby also would sometimes move up and down in 6ths, which brings the F in.
Huh? 6th of G=Em, C=Am

#42532  by Chuckles

I mean playing double-stops a 6th apart over the C, something I once picked up from listening to Bobby (can't remember the show). I may not be using the correct technical lingo, but this illustrates what I mean:

_____C_______________________________G_
1|---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X|
2|---5---6---8---X---8---6---5---X|
3|---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X|
4|---5---7---8---X---8---7---5---X|
5|---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X|
6|---X---X---X---X---X---X---X---X|

#42553  by JackORoses

Thanks for all the help guys, i've pretty much got it sounding pretty decent now.