Chat about Equipment Info

#38249  by tigerstrat

1965: Farfisa Combo Compact (same as Strawberry Alarm Clock & early Floyd)
early 1966-early 1969: Vox Continental (the aforementioned Raiders used this, as did the Animals, etc)
late 1967-1972: Hammond B-3 + Leslie, leased on an inconsistent basis for the first few years.

TC had to play the Vox when he came aboard!! While Pig played the B-3.

Pig

#38267  by Tennessee Jedi

Yo Dudeabides
Europe 72 may not have that much of the Pig on it.
The Dead freshened up the vocals and added keys to the album before releasing it.
I cant remember the guys name who did the overdubs - I get all the Jerry sidemen mixed up.Saunders? Seals?
I have a weakness for cheesy 60s psychedelic music - and their keyboards too.Nothing says Far Out better than cheesy keys...
Pig was perfect for the band.He gave them all room to grow as they did.He always leaves me wanting a little more,which is better than overkill.
Plus the fact that they already were kind of a 3 guitar band - Phil being Phil - and the sound could be quite full..... :cool: :cool: :cool:

#38271  by BuddhaG

I understand that it is a matter of seniority, but TC should have been playing the better organ when he came aboard. I would have loved to hear a B3 cutting through the mix on Dark Stars from 69. The Vox could barely be heard and usually only when Jerry took a few moments to regroup.

If TC was on the B3 I think DS from this era would have been a hell of a lot more intense, if that is even possible.

That said, I love pigs playing before TC joined in. I have heard some supremely primo shit from pig in 67-68. I think you do not listen to enough primal dead, Doc Watson, not that I hold it against you.
 #38274  by tigerstrat

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Yo Dudeabides
Europe 72 may not have that much of the Pig on it.
The Dead freshened up the vocals and added keys to the album before releasing it.
I cant remember the guys name who did the overdubs - I get all the Jerry sidemen mixed up.Saunders? Seals?
I have a weakness for cheesy 60s psychedelic music - and their keyboards too.Nothing says Far Out better than cheesy keys...
Pig was perfect for the band.He gave them all room to grow as they did.He always leaves me wanting a little more,which is better than overkill.
Plus the fact that they already were kind of a 3 guitar band - Phil being Phil - and the sound could be quite full..... :cool: :cool: :cool:
Merl Saunders overdubbed keys on Skullfuck, not E72. E72 had a bunch of overdubbed vocals on it, but not keys.

That said, on E72 Pig's B-3 takes a definite backseat to Keith's piano, and much of the time Pig was laying out or playing percussion.

#38275  by Tennessee Jedi

Oopsy.
Me spaced out - again.
:D

#38304  by thedudeabides

Ok, sorry i've been absent in the thread, I thought it died :D But I certainly feel a lot more informed now, so thanks a bunch guys! I've always been amazed how even the most insignificant bands in the 60's and 70's were somehow able to afford hammonds and leslies, which weren't cheap back then either. @ Tigerstrat, now that you mentioned how they leased it, this seems to make more sense. I'm sure many bands did this. And Tennessee Jedi, i feel ya on the weakness for the cheesy psychedelia :lol: Nothing like it, especially that real early floyd. great stuff. I understood that E72 had vocals overdubbed to make those lush perfect harmonies (the boys weren't THAT good), but when you see footage from the Tivoli Copenhagen show on youtube, etc., Pig is clearly there behind the organ. Pig's organ is ancillary to Keith's piano work for sure, but the little nuances are just excellent imho. Granted he was nothing like Merl or Melvin, but a great musician in his own right nonetheless.

Where can I hear more TC? I don't know much about him. I have probably subconsciously heard a bunch.

Thanks again guys!

#38332  by tigerstrat

thedudeabides wrote: Where can I hear more TC? I don't know much about him. I have probably subconsciously heard a bunch.
Nov 68 to Jan 70, and a guest appearance 4/28/71 ... Live Dead(Jan-Feb 69), Aoxomoxoa, the Fillmore West box set, the 11-8-69 DP, the 2/11/69 release... Prior to that, his contributions to 68's Anthem is mostly sound effects.

#38357  by thedudeabides

Wow! You know your history. Thanks a bunch!

#41110  by Henry

Just thought it would be worth to revive this thread... just bought two Rhino box sets from the '72 European tour, "Steppin' Out" (England) and "Rockin' the Rhein" (Dusseldorf, Germany, which happens to be the place where I was born so I just had to get it) and I find them WAY better than Europe '72 and they have a lot of Pig playing organ on them. Sure, he was no virtuoso, don't expect flashy solos like Brent, but what he did always fit in nicely in a "less is more" kind of way and also complements Keith's piano playing quite well, in those days Keith would not yet overplay the way he did in later years. Those two are fun to listen to, if you would like to hear what Pig could do on a good night, check them out. Lots of great guitar by Jerry as well!

#41198  by I'm on the Bozo Bus

FWIW.....
Sirius is doing a special this Sunday 4:00 Eastern I think titled "The Grateful Deads Origins as a Cover Band".
Gans is the host, however they have not advertised who else will be on the show....if anyone.
This "Show" does happen every Sunday, sometimes it is a call in with folks opinions, sometimes it is "Family" members trying to recall the exact time Jerry left the stage to take a leak during "SPACE / Jam" in 1972 (sic). BTW.. That was a joke....
This is not a thread hi-jack, I would assume that as this topic is Pig's organ.... That just doesn't sound right.... Perhaps they will cover the topic.
PEACE,
Phil

#41200  by tigerstrat

Q: What's worse than lobsters on Keith's piano? :lol:

#41201  by Tennessee Jedi

I dont know Tiger - What is worse than lobsters on Kieth's piano ?

:shock:

#41203  by Tennessee Jedi

Dont leave us hanging !

#41251  by frankielee

Pig contributed nothing on AoxaMoxoa---On the back of the album where it gives the names of band members and what they play it reads
Ron McKernan-PigPen...I got to see him a time or two and when he came out and sang the stage was his. He had a great presence...I also enjoy his playing in the early Keith days.