Chat about Equipment Info
 #40042  by deadguise

Weir used to play through a boogie head sitting on a 2x12 cabinet in front of the drum riser (1977-78?). Was it because neither Jerry nor Phil wanted him on their side of the stage? Anyway, I remember a few shows where he had equipment malfunctions and would smack the top of his boogie amp in frustration. Has anyone else ever seen him do this?

#40044  by strumminsix

deadguise wrote:oop wrong Forum...
Fixed!
 #40054  by tigerstrat

deadguise wrote:Weir used to play through a boogie head sitting on a 2x12 cabinet in front of the drum riser (1977-78?). Was it because neither Jerry nor Phil wanted him on their side of the stage?
I believe the Boogie Mark I wide-body head was his preamp for the entire year of 1977. Most of the 1978 pics show that Peavey head, and I think the use of the IVP that has been discussed in a couple other threads as the "late 70's sound" couldn't have begun much before 1979.
deadguise wrote:Anyway, I remember a few shows where he had equipment malfunctions and would smack the top of his boogie amp in frustration. Has anyone else ever seen him do this?
Played with an excellent "Weir" the other night who used a Mark III 60-watt non-reverb combo with the Eminence Black Shadow 150w speaker (as opposed to the EV's found in most Mark III's including my own) and some kind of large Korg multi-effect pedalboard unit and he just nailed a lot of great Bob sounds. I think I really like the simple 60watt/2x6L6 Mesas as opposed to the simul-class 2x6L6+2xEL34 deals.

#40277  by mttourpro

That is a classic. Bob "fixes" it alright...I've had that show on video since they played it, as it was actually a pay-per-view on cable. I believe they were considering the idea of making many/all the shows ppv around that time. For some reason it never happened.

#40422  by mikepand

On kicking amps :
I had an amp tech ask me (right after I had purchased my malfuntioning Peavey Classic 50).......

"but did ya kick it?"

evidently this is a tried and true repair option.

My reply was:

"no but I'm gonna come down there and kick YOU!"

I got a brand new amp that day.

#40503  by weirimpressed

lol nice gotta remember that