#39948  by Dozin

I totally agree with the statement. Brent was a huge part of Bobby's diminishing roll. Brent added so much more than Keith did. His huge B3 sounds and sympathizer fills. Brent really filled in where Bob use to be.

Healy started messing with Bob really in the midi years where he admittedly mentioned snuffing out Bob because of the noise.

#39971  by deadguise

Dozin wrote:
Healy started messing with Bob really in the midi years where he admittedly mentioned snuffing out Bob because of the noise.
Yeah, most likely when Bobby started practicing how to play slide at shows.

#39973  by strumminsix

If you listen carefully you will note that from about 77 on Bobby gets lower and lower in the mix.

Jerry commented on it with some IEM mix that used to float around saying something like what a great disservice it did to the band since it was Weir's playing and progressions that were symbiotic to alot of his leads...

#40225  by jenkins

Apparantly Healy keeping Bobby low in the mix was a pretty big problem for the rest of the members of the band.
It is what lead to Healy being fired from the GD.

This is a quote from Phil's book:

"Dan, an amateur guitarist, had special problems with Bobby. Bob's guitar would disappear from the mix from time to time, and strange electronic effects would be applied to Bob's guitar. If Bob tried to say anything from the stage, Dan would drown his voice in artificial reverb so nothing said was comprehensible. When this started happening during songs, Jerry and I decided to listen back to recorded mixes to see what else was going on. We discovered far too many dubious mixing decisions for comfort, so we called a band meeting. We dithered about it for a while, admitting to ourselves that we were cowards who abhorred confrontation; no one wanted to be the one to tell Dan he was fired. SO, wimps that we are, we had Cameron, our manager do the deed."

This was in late '93.

#40229  by Tennessee Jedi

Too bad it took too long to fire the guy.
Man that would piss me off...
:x

#40297  by High Peaks

Healy is doing sound for DSO this tour. I wonder if he will drown out Eaton!!!!

Anyway, I really think that the 70's was my personal highpoint for Weir's playing. Starting in about 73,74 and lasting until about 80-81. I also have some pretty good soundboards up until 80-81 that have Weir pretty high in the mix. That was definitely a mixture of Healy and Brents inspired playing

#40299  by Tennessee Jedi

Yeah I hear ya on the 70s Bob and agree 'cause you can really hear what hes doing.
That being said I dont mind the 80s and onwards bob sound 'cause he was keeping it fresh.Cant blame the guy for wanting to change stuff up after all those years.Glad he didnt go with the status quo.
Even his wang bar stuff.
Not too thrilled about his slide work either but he gets props for trying and taking chances.
Another thing about Brent taking Bobs space.
As the years went on Brent was doing more and more Jerry licks.
I went to WithOut a Net to work on Help,and found Brent was covering some of Jerrys stuff.
Had to go to Blues for the clear Jerry moves.
I kinda like it though.Like when Brent does the Jerry riffs on say Fire and plays the riffs right along with Jer.
Miss both them cats....

:smile: