Chat about Equipment Info
 #39501  by mikepand

I am a "bob"................

My Carvin T100 blew for the 4th time. Piece o' shit that it is. I can't even stand the thought of paying to get the thing fixed again...............
I would like another rack mountable guitar oriented Tube amp. (is there really a difference?)

Any suggestions?

Should I go Crown or something like that?
Or should I just get an old Fender Head?

I'm really not very knowledgeable about this stuff so any ideas and or information would be much appreciated.

I use a Tone Tubby 2X12 cab. Presonus Blue Tube Pre-Amp. POD Pro. Alesis Compressor. Fender Strat.

thanks,
Mike

#39531  by strumminsix

by a huge rack system and piss off your band :lol:

do you want bobby gear or sound?

there are lots of good custom and boutique amps today:
fargen, heritage, victoria, etc

i'm a bobby in my band and can't sound like bobby with bobby gear.

#39532  by Tennessee Jedi

Is the cold war over?
Détente has broken out!
:cheers: :peas:

#39534  by mikepand

Yes , I 've seen all of bob's gear. I may be not knowledgeable but I am certainly aware of his rig....(but you knew that didn't ya, you lent me the book! Thanks though)

Maybe I shoulda been more specific.

I'm really not too concerned with being a Bob clone (unless someone wants to buy me a Modulus). I am more concerned with a clean tube sound as I do use this rig for my other band where I do play lead and do a bunch of JGB stuff. Though i will never call myself a Jerry, maybe with an ass-load of more practice I can. Maybe I'm a Berry? or a Job? I'll just be me.ha.

I will look into those boutique amps. thanks.

Actually played a whole gig on a big stage once with a mesa amp. Hated it. It had a big grunge sound which was fun but the clean I could not get to where I am accustomed to it being. Bright and full. I imagine this amp would be diferent, i'll look into it more, see if I can't find a place I can try one out.......

I'm not at war with anyone that I know of.
but I am always open to it. haha.

thanks guys. I appreciate the help and humor.

Mike

#39535  by myoung6923

Yeah - no war in this neck of the woods either

#39536  by strumminsix

what are you using as your preamp?

what era bobby do you find most pleasing?

#39537  by mikepand

hahahaha. good stuff this is.

I love the late 70's Bob sound but I am impartial to the late 80's DEAD sound. But Bob wasn't heard very well I don't think in the 80's and I don't really play much of that whammy bar -slinky style he developed. I am more of a rocker. I do play my inverted chords but I am all over the place at times too. I try to do important Bob stuff but I don't confine myself. I'm not concerned with sounding exactly like Bob......

I use a Presonus Blue tube. I also have an Art Tube Pre that I've used.
Nothing fancy but I do love that Blue Tube since I've had it.

Any solid states out there worth there salt?

Can I use a crown or similiar power amp?

Just weighing options............thanks again for the help....

#39541  by strumminsix

I'm now in hybrid Bobby mode...

All tube pre, rect & tube amp (good 70s sound)
Parker guitar w/whammy bar & piezo to get a thin sound.

I'm a tube freak. No glass, no class I always say.

I cannot get that right 'feel' w/SS amps. I've tried.

However, the TubeWorks poweramps came the closest.
Very tube like tone and response. I've got 2 actually.
If you are interested lemme know and we can work it out.

#39545  by Emoto

mikepand wrote:...Actually played a whole gig on a big stage once with a mesa amp. Hated it. It had a big grunge sound which was fun but the clean I could not get to where I am accustomed to it being. Bright and full. I imagine this amp would be diferent, i'll look into it more, see if I can't find a place I can try one out.......
I think all(?) of the Boogie amps have a large number of power and pre-amp tubes and overlapping controls that affect them and how they react. This means that it can really take a very long time to dial one in for the sound you want. You'd have to be some kind of amazing genius to be able to do that with a Boogie you've never used before at a gig, so it isn't surprising to me that you didn't get a sound you liked. I don't know if the manuals have changed since I bought my Mk III 20+ years ago, but I found that I really had to read the manual to get full control over the sound; there is so much that you could never figure out otherwise.

I'm not versed in the currewnt amps, so maybe there is something better out there these days, but a Boogie that is well controlled can make beautiful sound. Still, I would love to know what you end up with and how you make your choice.

#39552  by mikepand

Thanks Emoto thats a very good point. I did actually have a few hours in the room to play with it but didn't dig it. But you may be right on that. That also kind of even pushes me further away as I am not the type to spend days dialing in amps. I am much more of a plug and play guy. I'm one of those thats really wants to be a gear head, I just don't have the time.

I'll tell ya tho...I loved that Carvin amp. It was great when it worked. Caught fire 2 times and just lost power 2 times. Just opened her up and the fuse is good. Very bad.

And I should re-say that whole Bob thing becuse I do try and have to sound like Bob in certain situations. But I also need that versatilty....which is why I like the POD Pro. I only have 4 custom tones that I use. although I did download the "Casey Jones" tone from Line 6 and have used it for lead in my other band.

My backup amp which I also use in small spaces (which I get funny looks for from gearheads) is a Yamaha DG-100 2X12, Celestion speakers. One of the finest amps I have ever played. Warm sounding and it's all digital. Oh wait, that's my main amp now! Ouch.

Hey Strum I am def interested in the Tubeworks. Talk to me.

m

#39554  by mikepand

Nobody ever mentions Vox?

How come?

I had a soundman who recorded with me and we used to use his Vox for quite a bit. Really nice clean sounding amplifier.

Here is that Yamaha if you haven't seen one .

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Con ... 3D,00.html

#39558  by strumminsix

mikepand wrote:
Hey Strum I am def interested in the Tubeworks. Talk to me.

m
It's a 160W solid state poweramp designed to emulate tubes. It does it nicely, actually. It requires 2U of rack space but is very shallow and light.

Get some opinions on it and let me know!

#39559  by Scary Pete

mikepand wrote:Nobody ever mentions Vox?

How come?

I had a soundman who recorded with me and we used to use his Vox for quite a bit. Really nice clean sounding amplifier.

Here is that Yamaha if you haven't seen one .

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Con ... 3D,00.html
No one really wants to pay $600 for a 15 watt amp. Most of us are in bands and need more watts.