#3862  by yem

im new here so i figured i might as well get to know more about everyone around...so what is your favorite cover tune the dead do....mine is either mr. fantasy (cant get enough of brent) or big river

#3865  by jck_strw

The Dead did cover songs?

#3867  by amyjared

Great question and welcome to the forum! Mine change, but the three that pop into my mind are Visions of Johanna, Gimme Some Lovin and Werewolves. I used to like Me and Bobby McGee a lot, also.

#3869  by strumminsix

Easy Answers.....

:lol: (pun inteded since these 2 jumped at me before I even finished reading the thread)

Hard to Handle (PIG!!!)
GDTRFB
Around & Around (something about that modulation from A > C)

Honorable mention to the once seen Stayin' Alive jam>MAMU (w/ah, ah, ah, ah inbetween the verse lines)

#3875  by Crowhead

Dylan's Desolation Row.
The poetry is unreal and it was as though Bob was writing it to/for/about Deadheads.

#3879  by fum84

i like big river alot. but when jerry played dear prudence it was breath taking.

#3885  by tigerstrat

Morning Dew
Baby Blue
Viola Lee Blues
and Turn On Your Lovelight

#3887  by jck_strw

Sing Me Back Home
GDTRFB
Peggy-O
Morning Dew

#3888  by AugustWest

I don't count traditonal songs as covers (peggy-o, Jack-a-roe, ect.) no actual rational behind that, it's just my little rule.

Sooo......... for me that leaves.

Dylan songs (belongs to me, Johanna, Queen Jane, Mobile, Desolation)

MORNING DEW, Katie Mae, Viola lee, Lovelight, Midnight Hour

And my personal fav. G-L-O-R-I-A GLORIA!

Side note: JGB had some wicked cool covers as well.

#3938  by Billbbill

This is somewhat akin to picking my favorite ice cream, but I'll take the Morning Dew with the Hot Fudge and whipped cream.
 #3959  by phreaker

word billbill, morning dew all the way.

is it just me, or have i heard the dead play "okie from musgokie"

funny tune for a like the dead to play.

i also really like baby blue...esp. early ones with pig on the keys, man.

big river and mama tried as well.

#3985  by Shaggy

I'm a big fan of the bluesy R&B Pigpen sang numbers mainly when it comes to covers:

Hard To Handle
Big Boss Man
Good Lovin
Midnight Hour
 #3987  by jck_strw

phreaker wrote:is it just me, or have i heard the dead play "okie from musgokie"

funny tune for a like the dead to play.
Nope, not just you. It's on 4-27-71. The Beach Boys were the surprise guests that night. Great show overall.

#3988  by jfaulhaber

As far as intensity and longevity you can't ignore the DEW.... There really wasn't ever a moment in the dead's long history when DEW got shelved.. not only that, if they did play it, it was always in a crucial spot setlist wise... jerome musta loved that number....

i guess it DOESN'T M A T T E R!!!!!!!!!!

..... love it....
 #4001  by yem

i know im gonna get some heat for this but i was at the phil & friends show 11/29/05 and at least in the state i was in the love light>rolling in my sweet arms> love light was by far one of the most moving pieces of music i ever had the privlege of hearing live
(and i have seen dylan, phish, joe satriani(sp?), mmw, big leg emma, people of earth, little feat, donna the buffalo, etc. at least once)
from what i've seen everyone on here absolutely can't get enough of pig's love lights (neither can I) but check this out

www.archive.org
select live music archive
search for phil & friends 11/29/05 the shit rocked!!!!!