rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info

 #37221  by tigerstrat
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:57 pm
BlobWeird wrote:I have my envelope right after my volume pedal. But maybe someone can help me arrange my pedals. Right now I have Git>Volume>Envelope>Noise Suppressor>EQ>Blues Driver>Amp

I am gonna start puttin in the DS-1 or MXR dist+ and also the Ibanez AD9. What would be a good order for all of these? I really am clueless as to this so I just kinda picked a random order haha. I read somewhere on here envelope goes first but thats about all I know.
Your volume will give you a lot more control at the end of your chain, and the noise sppressor should probably NOT come before your OD and EQ.

 #37222  by Tennessee Jedi
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:03 pm
Yo Blob
After kinda winging it for years,I took someone here advice with the pedal order.I go-
1)Oc-2
2)Qtron
3)BD #1
4)BD #2
5)Boss Rv-3?
Really loving it!
I like to think I get that 1/22/78 Other One/Close Encounters sound with the Oc-2 and Q tron in that order.
Good luck Mi Amigo! :cool:

 #37223  by BlobWeird
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:08 pm
alright so just a rough sketch then maybe somethin like this:

GUITAR>WAH>OD>DIST>DELAY>EQ>NOISE SUPP>VOLUME>AMP

??? Yes no maybe?

 #37225  by Tennessee Jedi
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:31 pm
Not too sure about EQ , Noise thingy,but delay usually goes last.
Not too sure about the volume pedal,either...
sorry my man :cool:

 #37237  by bucketorain
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:55 pm
Tennessee Jedi wrote:Yo Blob
After kinda winging it for years,I took someone here advice with the pedal order.I go-
1)Oc-2
2)Qtron
3)BD #1
4)BD #2
5)Boss Rv-3?
Really loving it!
I like to think I get that 1/22/78 Other One/Close Encounters sound with the Oc-2 and Q tron in that order.
Good luck Mi Amigo! :cool:
Tennessee Jedi, let me know when you are finished with your RV-3...i would love to have one...

this is what i have going on now...

all effects boss made unless specified

guitar
crybaby
oc2
pitch shifter
super overdrive
blues driver
mxr dist +
comp sustain
eq
dd3 (delay)
tremelo
flanger
phase

FENDER BLUES DELUXE AMP

i took out my boss autowah, (FOR SALE OR TRADE BRAND NEW!)
i also took out my chorus pedal (FOR SALE OR TRADE BRAND NEW)

 #37241  by tigerstrat
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:29 pm
BlobWeird wrote:alright so just a rough sketch then maybe somethin like this:

GUITAR>WAH>OD>DIST>DELAY>EQ>NOISE SUPP>VOLUME>AMP

??? Yes no maybe?
Blob, fwiw here's how I would arrange what you have there:
GUITAR>WAH(seems to be the consensus, but I also love it post-DIST)>DIST>EQ(or after od)>OD>DELAY>>VOLUME>AMP. I would not use the NOISE SUPP> but if I had to I'd put it after the delay.

 #37249  by BlobWeird
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:56 pm
tigerstrat wrote:
Blob, fwiw here's how I would arrange what you have there:
GUITAR>WAH(seems to be the consensus, but I also love it post-DIST)>DIST>EQ(or after od)>OD>DELAY>>VOLUME>AMP. I would not use the NOISE SUPP> but if I had to I'd put it after the delay.
Alright Ill give it a try. Gotta use the suppressor though. Its way too noisy otherwise. Im upgradin my cables and everything though so that might do the trick.

 #37262  by Scary Pete
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:07 pm
As of now I'm going to wait until my guitar finally gets shipped to my house and I can play it with my current overdrive pedal (set the best i could to a good blues tone).

amp>wah>od
+wireless system
=
no more outlets in my room!! NOOOO

 #37263  by Emoto
 Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:30 am
The thing about effects order is to experiment and see how you like the way one affects the next in the chain. I always have my volume pedal as the last thing in the chain before the amp so that all effects get full volume; this makes them more stable in how they respond, as some will respond differently to high volume than to low volume and I like repeatability and predictability with my effects.

 #37265  by Tennessee Jedi
 Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:25 am
Yo TigerDude
Cool shot of Jimi.
The 1st pedal is a Vox wah
The 2nd is the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz
The 4th is the Octavio.
Whats the 3rd pedal?
Looks like a volume pedal.
I'm guessing its the expression pedal that goes with a Uni-Vibe?
Any Ideas?
Jimi @ WoodStock kicked ass.
Too bad his band was in the psychedelic toilet for that gig!
The worst is When the bass guy trys to play along with the Star Spangled Banner-and its like he cant hit a right note.
Conga man did bring his "A" game though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

 #37270  by mrMix
 Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:22 am
I have a Lovepedal Eternity and love it as my main OD It plays well with others, true bypass and cleans up at the volume nob/pedal. If I want the Jimi type blues I kick on my Lovepedal COT 50 and stack it with the Lovepedal E.

Here's my "current" setup for use with Dead/Blues and some jazz

Guitar>Volume Pedal>Wah>Envelope filter>A/B box
Path A - Direct to BF Clean (Treb 8, Bass 2)
Path B - OD1>OD2>Delay To Amp (Treb 5 Bass 3 Mid (depend on guitar)

Of course this will change again .... always searching for the sound.

 #37288  by tigerstrat
 Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:23 pm
Tennessee Jedi wrote:Yo TigerDude
Cool shot of Jimi.
The 1st pedal is a Vox wah
The 2nd is the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz
The 4th is the Octavio.
Whats the 3rd pedal?
Looks like a volume pedal.
I'm guessing its the expression pedal that goes with a Uni-Vibe?
Any Ideas?
Jimi @ WoodStock kicked ass.
Too bad his band was in the psychedelic toilet for that gig!
The worst is When the bass guy trys to play along with the Star Spangled Banner-and its like he cant hit a right note.
Conga man did bring his "A" game though. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can see the blue-grey Uni-Vibe and controller last in chain. The Octavia silvery spaceship is barely poking out behind his heel but appears to me to be 3rd in chain.

 #37293  by Tennessee Jedi
 Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:49 pm
Arent the Octavias wedge shaped and big?And grey?
Looking at it closer maybe it is the Uni-Vibe.
Jimis getting his Freak on for sure!
:cool: :cool:

 #37296  by KCJones
 Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:15 pm
Best efx IMHO is NO efx. If you like the sound of your amp clean, crunch, or overdrive, if it has that capability, then go with it bare for the Blues. Especially with the beautiful tones from your Les Paul. If you don't like any channel sounds of your amp with no efx then you might want to consider a new amp. If you like your clean channel but don't like the overdrive, get a overdrive pedal then. I think its real real easy to kill the tone of an amp that you really like just because you think you need pedals. Thats an easy trap to fall into, one that took me years to figure out.

 #37299  by strumminsix
 Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:23 pm
KCJones wrote:Best efx IMHO is NO efx. If you like the sound of your amp clean, crunch, or overdrive, if it has that capability, then go with it bare for the Blues. Especially with the beautiful tones from your Les Paul. If you don't like any channel sounds of your amp with no efx then you might want to consider a new amp. If you like your clean channel but don't like the overdrive, get a overdrive pedal then. I think its real real easy to kill the tone of an amp that you really like just because you think you need pedals. Thats an easy trap to fall into, one that took me years to figure out.
Very much agree...

However, an FX box should not kill good tones. If it does, toss it!