rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #37151  by Scary Pete
 Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:36 pm
I'm looking for a pedal to get really good blues effects with a les paul. I've been looking at the Boss BD-2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J31gzQacGBk for a video review). Is there anything else someone can recommend for me since, we probably all have somewhat similar taste. I'm not trying to spend too much. I'll probably be browsing ebay for it.

edit: by the way, i dont know if this is the right section

 #37155  by strumminsix
 Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:51 pm
Please try to describe exactly what you want.

Rhythm or lead?

When I think blues I think a low wattage tube amp starting to break up.

 #37158  by bucketorain
 Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:38 pm
i have a BD-2. i really like it...i also have the boss super overdrive, but use it less. if you can get hold of a Tube Screamer, that's what SRV used....

 #37165  by Scary Pete
 Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:27 pm
strumminsix wrote:Please try to describe exactly what you want.

Rhythm or lead?

When I think blues I think a low wattage tube amp starting to break up.
Lead
bucketorain wrote:i have a BD-2. i really like it...i also have the boss super overdrive, but use it less. if you can get hold of a Tube Screamer, that's what SRV used....
Ibanez TS-808 or TS9?

 #37172  by strumminsix
 Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:52 pm
Can't help without more info....

 #37192  by Tennessee Jedi
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:29 am
I love the BD-2.Its not some over the top pedal.I get a semi sorta LIVEDEAD vibe with one and I use another for some more gainy Jerry settings.
:cool:

 #37197  by bucketorain
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:38 am
Scary Pete wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Please try to describe exactly what you want.

Rhythm or lead?

When I think blues I think a low wattage tube amp starting to break up.
Lead
bucketorain wrote:i have a BD-2. i really like it...i also have the boss super overdrive, but use it less. if you can get hold of a Tube Screamer, that's what SRV used....
Ibanez TS-808 or TS9?
you can find good gear info on http://guitargeek.com

here is SRV's rig circa 1984



[img][img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... v_1984.gif[/img]

[/img]

 #37200  by tigerstrat
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:25 am
the speakers in the Vibroverbs were JBL K-120 [edit]make that K-130, 15"![/e].

Try out the Full-Drive FD2 overdrive- kinda pricey but so are Rolls Royces.
Last edited by tigerstrat on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

 #37201  by strumminsix
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:28 am
Dave Barber makes excellent ODs.

 #37203  by tigerstrat
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:31 am
wait a sec- the Wah comes before the OD pedals?? I highly doubt that.

 #37205  by bucketorain
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:38 am
tigerstrat wrote:wait a sec- the Wah comes before the OD pedals?? I highly doubt that.
i have my wah 1st in the chain, doesn't every one?

 #37208  by tigerstrat
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:25 am
bucketorain wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:wait a sec- the Wah comes before the OD pedals?? I highly doubt that.
i have my wah 1st in the chain, doesn't every one?
Not Hendrix; not me. But I have to admit I don't use wah very often. I like the Hendrix sound with a fuzz fed into the wah.

 #37211  by strumminsix
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:32 am
I don't use a wah but I do use Envelop & Phaser.

I run it: Env > OD > Phas

Delicious!!!!!!!

 #37214  by tigerstrat
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:17 am
well F@% me:
Image

and now I can't find the circa 67-68 pic I saw about a year ago where he clearly had the Octavia 1st in chain.

 #37219  by BlobWeird
 Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:20 pm
I have my envelope right after my volume pedal. But maybe someone can help me arrange my pedals. Right now I have Git>Volume>Envelope>Noise Suppressor>EQ>Blues Driver>Amp

I am gonna start puttin in the DS-1 or MXR dist+ and also the Ibanez AD9. What would be a good order for all of these? I really am clueless as to this so I just kinda picked a random order haha. I read somewhere on here envelope goes first but thats about all I know.