Chat about Equipment Info

#35934  by strumminsix

Laytonco wrote:Hey SS, is "phase shifter" the same thing as a "phaser?" In other words, does the pahser I have in my UE400 suffice? Also, I want some sort of Leslie emulator and I know they're out there. What's the best?

Peace,

Gil
AFAIK, Phase & Phaser & Phase Shifter are interchangeable. The one in the UE400 is the Ibanez Phase Tone circuit, IIRC. So yes, it's decent but if you like it is what matters. Personally, I didn't care for it but that's not to say it's bad since I don't care for the Phase 90 either.

Ooh a good Leslie emulator is tough to come by practically. IMO you need a good stereo setup for this to sound right. Are you looking for the whole leslie or just the horn???

#35936  by b weird

Hey thanks for starting this thread, up untill now all the pedal talk sounded like Greek, now I'm beginning to understand. Hopefully buy the beginning of next week I'll have a Wah pedal to mess with... Peace.

#35946  by Laytonco

Ooh a good Leslie emulator is tough to come by practically. IMO you need a good stereo setup for this to sound right. Are you looking for the whole leslie or just the horn???
I'd actually like a pedal that emulates the sound. Already I just about fill my VW Bus with my own rhythm guitar gear. Can you imagine me pulling out the Leslie Cab? The band would fir me! Or shoot me!

Peace,

Gil

#35952  by tigerstrat

DLS RotoSIM pedal rocks the leslie sound. you set the slow and fast speeds and you also control how quickly it ramps between the two speeds. my 2 sinse

#35955  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:DLS RotoSIM pedal rocks the leslie
sound.
Maybe you need to start a pedal review for Rotary Horn pedals???

BTW, catalinbread serrano picoso is now on my board, review in 2 weeks!

#36037  by hotasaPistol

Thanks to all especially Strummin and Shakedown...I appreciate the links and the education....
I have also aquired a used TS 7 tubescreamer that I am having analogman modify for me....
the link to the page detailing all the different effects, purposes and how and why and what they do was like a lightswitch in my pea brain....
My other dumb question regards the envelope filter....my one compadre who owns our little local music store says that the mini q tron is his favorite envelope and when I mentioned the emma to him he said he never heard of it....so the dumb question is are they equivalent and then if so it just boils down to personal taste....I suppose...

I am a rhythm player looking for Weir type gear and am thinking of going with a phaser and envelope to go with the tube screamer and my other jammin' buddy is going to give his extra delay.....seems to me like that is a good start...
much obliged as usually and am always open to more advice from you all
:smile:

#36038  by tigerstrat

hotasaPistol wrote:at the mini q tron is his favorite envelope and when I mentioned the emma to him he said he never heard of it....so the dumb question is are they equivalent and then if so it just boils down to personal taste....I suppose...
My 2 cents, sound quality wise, they are equivalent, but the EMMA "dbob" takes up far less space than the std. Q-Tron on the pedalboard or rack, and is much more versatile/tweakable than the Mini-Q, which may actually still be a little larger than the EMMA. I have an original MuTron so I don't have a horse in this race!

#36145  by Rev_Roach

thanks for the responses everyone.

about a week ago i visited a few guitar playing friends and was able to goof around on their equipment (unfortunately i dont have any musician friends where im living right now.) What I learned pretty much matches the group consensus here: I should get a good tube amp before bothering with effects pedals.

Playing on a Fender Hotrod Deluxe I just loved the tone, with or without effects. I also tried messing around with effects on a solid state, and it was fun, but the tone never reached out and grabbed me the way it did on the tube.

My plan: Get a tube amp (probably either Fender Blues or Hotrod), and then get OD, delay, envelope, most likely in that order.

#36212  by jahozer

hotasaPistol wrote: My other dumb question regards the envelope filter....my one compadre who owns our little local music store says that the mini q tron is his favorite envelope and when I mentioned the emma to him he said he never heard of it....so the dumb question is are they equivalent and then if so it just boils down to personal taste....I suppose...

:smile:
The newer mircro q is nicely sized. The mini Q is awefully big for being called "mini".
I am perfectly happy with mine and absolutely nail jer's boowow boowow sound. Other pedals have more variation to them, but for me I get lost in the settings of them and like the reliability of clicking it on and having that sound. And its shear greasy mutronesque bliss.
Add a little distortion and play a little differently and you get many other sounds, bear down on a pentatonic for a Zappa type lead, or flick out some ninth chords for some good ol funk, etc.

Bobby's envelope is a little more quacky, so you just turn the Q knob up a bit to drive the envelope open more. Jerrys kinda was just riding under fully opening up all the way. Play with it and you will know what I mean.
but man for about 80 bucks, you get "that" sound with the mirco q.

#37254  by rowan

I'll give my two cents for what it's worth. I actually have two rigs, a rack setup with a Carvin power amp, pre amp and TC Electronics G major and BOSE setup that I used for smaller gigs. For the Bose, believe it or not I bought a cheap Digitech RP80. I've bought and had all the stuff, envelope filters, Qtrons, compressor, wahs, Line6 PodXT, all that stuff. And, it sounded great, but you know what, it was a major PIA to lug it everywhere, and there was always some issue I was having. I've spent thousands of dollars in effects over the years and at this point, am just looking for sounds that are good and an easy setup.

So, to make a long story short, I bought this RP80 and spent probably 10 hours with it, fiddling. Has to the easiest effects pedal to program, simple, fast and for under $100, a great value. With a set of headphones on, I twiddled and combined with downloading some other peoples settings (if you visit the Digitech "patch" site you can download my settings btw), I got about 10 sounds that are perfect for a variety of what the Dead played. I plug this thing into my Bose (which sounds incredible by the way, expensive but well worth it in my book), or right into the mixer, and viola! Great sound and no issues. Now you old schoolers out there are going to say I'm crazy, but the quality of the digital effects now is tremendous and for VERY little money you can get a superb sound (if you have the time to twiddle). Line6 is also good, but frankly, a lot of overkill - too many amp tones etc, most unusable. My experience with a lot of the "all in ones" is that you have to take the time to twiddle and find the sounds you like. Once you have it set, you're good to go.

For those of you who are all about the Jerry sound - after much research, money and pain, the absolute key for any good sounding guitar is the pickups. Yes, the body is important and the neck, blah, blah, but if you have an axe that you are comfortable playing and are looking for the Jerry sound, replace your humbuckers with DiMarzio Super IIs, and you've got it. Seriously folks, I had over 40 guitars, and I can honestly say it comes to good quality pickups.

For you gearheads, my main two axes are an older Carvin that I changed out all the pickups on and a 2005 PRS 25th Anniversary McCarty Hollowbody Spruce. The Carvin I had for years and made the mistake of buying the PRS, when all I had to do was replace with pu's with DiMarzio Super 2 humbuckers - they are the key to the Jerry sound folks - spot on. So I did that, then put in the single coils - a YJM in the neck and a Cruiser in the middle. I like Dimarzios - good sound and great value. This makes for a very flexible setup that allows you to play Dead, Floyd, U2, Blues, Country pretty much anything. The Super IIs are definitely hotter than the others tho, and you'll hear a volume uptick when you switch over. At this pt, the PRS just hangs on the wall. It's a great guitar, but the Carvin, I just learned on it and the neck is faster and just feels better to me.

For now, the tube amp rig is packed away and soon be on Ebay. Again, I'm a once a week player, with wife and kids, so simple, small, inexpensive, but good, is the key for me.