#35452  by ssrythm

I've been very happy since the good folks on here who have been willing and able have been submitting vid instruction, but WOAH! I've been trying to wrap my fingers and mind around the bobbyisms, and I'm learning a lot. Pete, if you would be so kind, could you sit down and put together some clips of Bobby licks...not necessarily any one tune from one era...but just general licks that hackers like me can work on one by one to incorporate into my bad-habits style. I feel like before I can make optimal use of what you are laying down, I need to work on some broken down stuff so that I might be able to string some of this together. Yeah, I guess I'm asking for mini lessons, cause if I could come to you and learn, I'd beat your friggin door down. Thanks for all you are doing.

#35455  by hotasaPistol

I second that Emotion

I'll never be a lead player and I love all things Bobby and rhythmn oriented

thanks for all the hard work Pete!

:cool:

#35462  by gratephulphish123

i third, as a guy in a band with only three members i gotta learn bob and jerry styles and up till late i haven't studied any bob stuff, i'm getting better with bobs crazy barre forms but any additional help would be great

#35485  by Tennessee Jedi

Pete B
No Man
LET IT GROW !!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
The parts I make up are weak at best.Have never figured any of the song too any satisfaction.
Maybe someday?

#35494  by Pete B.

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Pete B
No Man
LET IT GROW !!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
The parts I make up are weak at best.Have never figured any of the song too any satisfaction.
Maybe someday?
Hey Guys, Oh Man, this youtube vid thing has become my favorite new hobby! I have a few other tunes in mind... I'll also try to work up some more Bobby-isms at some point. I like to be able to have a good vocabulary of both Bobby and Jerry stuff to draw on.
I have never learned "Let It Grow" fluently, but I would direct you to our man TigerStrat, as he and his group do a notably spot-on version of this tune.
I will add it to my list of Bobby "chordal minefields" to learn to step through without getting blown up!
Thx,
Pete B.

#35503  by tigerstrat

ha! thanks Pete. It did sort of click at the last show... one of those all-too-rare instances where suddenly you feel as if the music is lifting you up, instead of the other way around, and you can just soar for awhile.

hey I just realized I now can join the YT revolution going on 'round here! I finally installed a DVD burner on the PC so I can now directly upload our Sony camcorder's mini-DVDs. However it might be quite a while before I'm able to set Isla down long enough to futz with making a viddy... off I go to get a bottle ready... :drink:

#35504  by oconnors_35

Hey Pete B!

I also love the youtube vids, I get more from watching someone than I do from tabs, although it's best to have both.

Your videos are really clear, sometimes jdarks videos are too dark or he is too far away or he is moving too much.

If you are taking requests, how about "Deal"?

Thanks,
SeanO

#35507  by pappypgh

"Deal" is a funny one....many people do not play it correctly. The chords are easy enough, but some people miss the passing chords, or play them both as E...here's what the chords are (I know that no one has asked for 'em, but I just wanna see if there are others not on the same page!):

Intro........A

Verses.....A...C#7...F#m.A.D.F#dim.
A...(A-Ab-G)F#7.B...D(7)...
A...C#7...F#m.E.D.F#dim

Chorus.....A...G.D.(2X)

The passing chords to which I was referring are the A & the E after the F#m in the first & third lines, respectively.

SUCH A FUN SONG TO PLAY!!!

Pappy

www.theCAUSEjams.com

#35516  by BlobWeird

I dont hear that second A in the first line at all. I stick to the F#m E D7 F#dim thing and it sounds perfect to me.

#35518  by pappypgh

BlobWeird wrote:I dont hear that second A in the first line at all. I stick to the F#m E D7 F#dim thing and it sounds perfect to me.
Blob - I understand. I went through the same thing w/ my keyboardist. Put on any GD version you have. You'll see. If Tour Pro could hear the difference, anyone can!! Hhahah....

Seriously tho - it's there. Watch any video of JG or Bobby playing it. Or put on any version...it's an A the first time and an E the second time... I would not steer you wrong.

Pappy

www.theCAUSEjams.com

#35523  by strumminsix

pappypgh wrote:"Deal" is a funny one....many people do not play it correctly.

Intro........A

Verses.....A...C#7...F#m.A.D.F#dim.
A...(A-Ab-G)F#7.B...D(7)...
A...C#7...F#m.E.D.F#dim

Chorus.....A...G.D.(2X)
99% agree... I can hear your passing chords but usually avoid them. I always thought it was the bass or a Jerry single run.

BTW, semantics but I always think of it as a D#dim as I have had to remind bass players to sharpen it.

Oh, and I play it off the 5th fret by literally just sharpening the D of a D7 chord which diminishes it.

And we here the 7ths differently. . But very close..

|| A / C#7 / | F#m (A) D7 D#dim ||
|| A / / (Ab-G) F#7 | B / D D7 ||
|| A / C#7 / | F#m (E) D7 D#dim ||

#35525  by pappypgh

SS - you're on it...the 7ths are merely a matter of taste...I play them sometimes, not all the time... and yes the D#dim...heheh...same notes as an F#dim, but I guess it all depends on where you play it. The "book" says F#dim, as they play it on 2nd & 3rd frets, thus making the "top note" an F#....but I smell what yer cookin'.

As far as the passing chords go - well they are prominent from both Bob & Jer if you listen. Phil plays A the first line and E the second line. That's what first turned my ear to it when I used to do E both times. Then someone (with WAY more musical knowledge than I) showed me that A in the first line. Once I really listened, it was definitely there. He told me to think of it as the first line "posing the question" and the third line "answering the question"...much like in 1/2-Step, where the bridge's 1st line ends with Dm > B7 > E7 and the last line ends with Am > D7 > G. You can almost hear the first line "asking that question, musically" and the last line "answering it".

Pappy

www.theCAUSEjams.com

#35535  by strumminsix

Right on! Regarding the F#dim7 vs D#dim7 I know they are the same note and there is probably a proper expression and I'm sure yours is it but mine makes it easier to tell the band what to do and why 8)

Nice usage of question and answer! Love it!

Hey Pappy, ya ever notice people playing GDTRFB wrong too? Most people hit that C#m late!

#35542  by pappypgh

strumminsix wrote:Right on! Regarding the F#dim7 vs D#dim7 I know they are the same note and there is probably a proper expression and I'm sure yours is it but mine makes it easier to tell the band what to do and why 8)

Hey Pappy, ya ever notice people playing GDTRFB wrong too? Most people hit that C#m late!
Well, FIRST of all....those diminished chords can be called any of the 4 notes, followed by a diminished - it all depends on where yer playin' 'em and in what context.

SECOND....where else can you put that C#m in GDTRFB?!! Now I'm thinkin' I'M doing it wrong!!! :D

Pappy

www.theCAUSEjams.com

#35544  by strumminsix

pappypgh wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Right on! Regarding the F#dim7 vs D#dim7 I know they are the same note and there is probably a proper expression and I'm sure yours is it but mine makes it easier to tell the band what to do and why 8)

Well, FIRST of all....those diminished chords can be called any of the 4 notes, followed by a diminished - it all depends on where yer playin' 'em and in what context.

SECOND....where else can you put that C#m in GDTRFB?!! Now I'm thinkin' I'M doing it wrong!!! :D

Pappy

www.theCAUSEjams.com
Ya, but there is always somebody smarter than me w/theory that corrects me on things like that!

The C#m is in the right spot BUT it the change skips a beat and comes at ya quicker than most people expect in a folk song.