#201  by cosmic_charlie

I love this song. I never really paid attention to it until a couple of years ago. When I really paid attention to the lyrics for the first time I was blown away.

#6087  by HOWEYMAN

This tune is great one. Always loved it. Bobby really belted it out on this one.

#35099  by old man down

Skull & Roses

e|------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------------|
B|----b12r10----8------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------8v------------------|
G|---------------------9---------------7---7---------7---9-------|-------------7--------7---9----7----------9v-----------|
D|-----------------------------7h9--------------9-----------------|----8/9---------9-------------------------------7h9---|
A|--------------------------------------------------------------7--|---------------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------------|

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Me and my uncle went ridin’ down,
e|--------------------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------8-------------------8-------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------|
G|----9--------9---9p7h9---------9p7----7------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------------9\8----9\8-----5---|----4/5v--------5v-------5v------5v--------5v------|
A|--------------------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------|

------------------------------------------South Colorado,-----------------West Texas bound.
e|----------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------10--|
B|---------------------8v----------------------------------|-------------------------------------8---8---8h10/12----------|
G|----9p7---7---9----------7----9---7-------------------|------------7--7--7---9----7h9---------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------------9\8-----7\5---|----7/9----------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------------------------------|

--------We stopped over-------------------------------------------in Santa Fe,
e|--------------------------12----12---12----12----10----------10---|---b19r17-----15p0----------------|
B|----------------------------------------------------------12----------|---------------------------15p0-----|
G|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|

-------That being the point,------------just about half way,
e|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---b16r14-----12----12------------------------------------------14---12-----14------14----12---14v------|
D|-----------------------------14---14----12----14---12--------------------------------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------------------------------------12-------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

-----Hey, and you know it was the hottest part of the day.
e|---------------------7--7------7----|---7------------0----------------------|----------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------7--7------7----|---7------------0----------------------|----------------------------------------------|
G|---12---------------7h8------8----|---8------------0----------------------|----------------------------------------------|
D|----------12h14----7--7------7----|---7------------2-----------2----2----|---0----------0----------0----------0-------|
A|---------------------9--9------9----|---9------------2----------------------|------2p0-------2p0--------2p0-------2p0-|
E|---------------------7--7------7----|---7------------0----------------------|----------------------------------------------|

--------And I took the horses--------------------------up to the stall,
e|--------------------------------3----3---|----------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------0----0---|----------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------0----0---|----------------------------------------------------|
D|----0------------------0-------0----0---|----------------------------------------------------|
A|------2p0-----0h2-------------2----2--|---------------------------5/7----5h7----5---7---|
E|----------------------------3---3----3---|----------------------------------------------------|

--------Went to the barroom,-----------ordered drinks for all,
e|---------3------3-----------|------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------0------0-----------|------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---------0------0-----------|------------------------------------------------------------|
D|---------0------0-----------|----5-------------------------------5----7---7---7----9---|
A|---------2------2-----------|---------7\6----5----6---6---7----------------------------|
E|----3----3------3-----------|------------------------------------------------------------|
Last edited by old man down on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 10 times in total.

#35100  by bucketorain

I mean no offense by this at all, but it was funny in the early eighties when Bobby used to say in a most feminine way "take off my dusty shirt". you could almost picture him kicking back his leg when he sang it...

but yes this song is very entertaining.

#35107  by gratephulphish123

this is far and away my favorite of bob's cowboy songs, the story never seems to get old and jerry's solo is consistently blistering. what key do you guys play the solo in typically i'm stumped?

#35121  by kevo

gratephulphish123 wrote:this is far and away my favorite of bob's cowboy songs, the story never seems to get old and jerry's solo is consistently blistering. what key do you guys play the solo in typically i'm stumped?
E

#35127  by st. stephen

better Em/G...
=)

#35132  by ronster

Play lead in key of G

Nice post Old Man

I always loved this tune but heard Bobby play it way to often.

#35133  by bodiddley

gratephulphish123 wrote:this is far and away my favorite of bob's cowboy songs, the story never seems to get old and jerry's solo is consistently blistering. what key do you guys play the solo in typically i'm stumped?
Agreed, and the most played GD tune ever...yet I never get sick of it....Big River is up there on my list too.

#35135  by Tennessee Jedi

Old Man down
Will check out these tabs tonight with my git box.Thanks man!
For one of the "Easier"tunes I'm real embarrassed :oops: that I dont know it that well.The Jerry licks you supplied might change that.
My favorite Cowboy song the Dead do?
Mexicali.
1)'Cause I love Jerrys licks on that one!
2)I always thought it was a cover tune!And it turns out its a Bob Jem!
Ace is one great album. :cool: :cool: :cool:

#35143  by BuddhaG

Agreed with all said above. I think big river, mamu, around & around, other songs like that (I think you get the picture) can get really annoying after hearing them so many times.

BUT when the boys are on and Jerry is rippin' hard lines on 'em they are actually some of my favorite Bob tunes to listen to.

I think they had some trouble all being on one page with that crazy polka rhythm to Mexicali but when it worked then it really worked. Jerry's playing on that one makes me giggle like a little boy sometimes.

#35159  by BlobWeird

old man down wrote:
. . That day on the pony, just about half way,
Coulda swore it was That being the point, just about half way? Anyone?

#35161  by Tennessee Jedi

Yeah Blob
I agree thats what I hear too.
The pony thing is more western though,so I dont know? :cool:

#35199  by old man down

I thought the lyric was "That day in the border, just about half way."

Thought that for, hmmmm, 30 years. LOL

But I thought you'd all laugh at me for that.

Picked up these lyrics from various sources off the web, so don't pay any attention to 'em.

Anyway, I've got a few hours to kill sitting here in San Jose International Airport, waitin' for a plane.

Guess I'll continue the transcribing...