Place for the rest of the music
 #34769  by Fever Roll

I have searched far and wide for a good tab of this song but only found one crummy power tab that doesn't include the intro.

I've never tabbed anything out by ear and I always just look up stuff that I want to learn but I think I figured out the first 5-6 seconds of this:

e|-------------------------------------
B|-------------------------------------
G|-----------------------5-------------
D|-----------------5-6-7---7-6-5---7-5-
A|-----3-4-5---7-8---------------8-----
E|-3s5---------------------------------

Please help me learn to play this beautiful Garcia/Grisman piece!

#34776  by Fever Roll

I saw that but I'm looking more for the lead work as tablature. I'm sure it's possible to figure it out based on the chords but I'm a novice at playing by ear.

I just want to be able to play that guitar intro before the mandolin comes in.

#34828  by BlobWeird

Well I never tried to figure out the studio version of it but I do have a good portion of one intro tabbed out. Its from a Pure Jerry release, Its either from 7/29/77 or 7/30/77.

E|------------------------------------------------
B|------------------------------------------------
G|------------------------------------------------
D|----------------2--3----5/7--7--5-----5/7\5-----
A|--0--3--4--5-----------------------8------------
E|------------------------------------------------

E|----------------------------------------------
B|----------------------------------------------
G|-------------------5h7p5-------------9--7-----
D|--3--0----5--6--7---------7--7----7-----------
A|----------------------------------------------
E|----------------------------------------------

E|-----8--7----6--7--8--5----------------
B|-------------------------6-------------
G|--5-------------------------5--6/7-----
D|---------------------------------------
A|---------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------

E|-------------------------------
B|----------------6--------------
G|-------5--5--7-----7-----5-----
D|--5/7-----------------5--------
A|-------------------------------
E|-------------------------------

And thats about as far as I got with it, as with most of my tabs haha. But still its a good start. This is certainly a tricky song with all the chromatics going on. A fun one though for sure! I asked a while ago for modes on this song and the only response I got was F major. That does work but not for the entirety of the song if ya ask me. There is one part where he switches to A minor and F major certainly wouldnt work there. So if anyone can really give some good insight to the modes involved thatd be great. Many thanks!

#34847  by Fever Roll

Ooooh. It's not the studio version I'm working on and I don't have that version to listen to but I think it's given me some "hints" on how to play the studio version.

Thanks a lot!

#34849  by tigerstrat

killer version: 6/12/74 Great American String Band (Jerry on banjo, and on bass instead of Taj its the great Buell Neidlinger)
 #34862  by kenneybonz

I have been learning so much so quickly on this site..and tried that with my acoustic, matching up some of the stuff i have learned.. CAGED system and lots more.. but I enjoyed playing what you'd tabbed out and adding a little bit on the fly.. great stuff. thanks