#34207  by Tennessee Jedi

I love a good Bob riff.
My top 3 :
1) Scarlet intro
2) China cat verse riff
3) Greatest Story Bridge part
Anyone else got some Bob jams they like?
:cool:

#34210  by strumminsix

Nice!

Don't forget the solo when China goes into the transition.

Guitar doubling in Cold Rain & Snow

The "answering" riff in Estimated

The into to Terrapin.

He has lots of accents in Casey Jones (need a good mix and headphones!)

#34211  by Tennessee Jedi

Strum Do do the Bob solo in Friend O the Devil?
There are a ton more.Bobs loaded with riffs!
Strum -Can You check out my question in SG thread about Twins?

#34215  by tigerstrat

I read in a Bobby interview once that the CCat riff was taught to him by Jerry and was the only time he ever specified to Bob what he wanted the 2nd guitar to be doing in a song.

#34223  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:I read in a Bobby interview once that the CCat riff was taught to him by Jerry and was the only time he ever specified to Bob what he wanted the 2nd guitar to be doing in a song.
Interesting.... I'd buy that. The part is very piano-esque. Any chance Jerry composed it on a piano?

#34227  by shakedown_04092

^^ I don't know, but I've also read the same thing in a few different places regarding that CC riff. Can you imagine:

"Hey Bob, do this riff"

"Yeah, like I'm gonna listen to you....who do you think you....oh, wait...ok sure that sounds cool!" :lol:

#34234  by Tennessee Jedi

Do any of you Bob guys do the Bob solo on Friend of the Devil?I mean with your Band?
What about slide?
Anyone do the Bob slide thing?
Another Bob Shining Moment would be the Casey Jones Solo.

#34235  by st. stephen

I have to say that I really love the 70s Dead the best and that's also because of Bobby's playing, and I hate it that in most mixes Bob is really quiet....but if you listen to Dead with headphones it's amazing to hear him play. Furthermore I think Bobby should hae done a lot more lead parts like in CJ or China Cat or Hard to Handle, because I love all of them

#34240  by b weird

What really bugs me is that on official releases of Dead shows they kinda lower Bobby's rythem and bring Jerry's lead up so Jerry over power's Bob. You gotta find a good quality Archive show to really hear Bobby's true genius.

#34244  by strumminsix

How did we forget WRS & CJ! Nice calls!

Yes, I play slide.

On FOTD I do a little Bobby thing I heard years ago. Walks down the scale and then back up. I don't do the call and repeat he did with Jerry, unfortunately.

As far as mixes I hate the fact Healy had JG cranked so high. Was listening to a show earlier and Jerry's guitar was above the vocals while Bobby was singing and you could barely hear any other instrument it was so low. Sad.

#34245  by bucketorain

b weird wrote:What really bugs me is that on official releases of Dead shows they kinda lower Bobby's rythem and bring Jerry's lead up so Jerry over power's Bob. You gotta find a good quality Archive show to really hear Bobby's true genius.
i may be wrong but i beleive bobby was always lower in the mix, for certain songs anyway. a really good version of booby up front would be 10-12-89 Hell In A Bucket. Amazing Bobby on the trem bar...the show is a must have

#34250  by BuddhaG

i absolutely love bob-heavy mixes. actually just listened to 1-3-1970 http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-01- ... sbeok.shnf and in the early show first set bob is very high in the mix after morning dew. so much that it sounds like jerry is trying to keep up with him in cold rain and snow and hard to handle rather than the other way around. bobs fills are so melodic and provide really nice counterpoint.

one of my favorite examples is in here comes sunshines in 73-74. when the mixes appropriately represent each instrument you can really see how awesome this band is.

#34251  by krzykat

deadguise wrote:Weather Report Suite intro
Hells yeah!