rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #342  by Dozin
 Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:11 pm
Code: Select all
A                         D C#m Bm A Bm
But I'm here by the road, bound to the load
Bm                                         E
That I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars
A                                            D C#m Bm A Bm
Alone with the rush of the drivers who won't pick me up
Bm                                         E
The highway, the moon, the clouds, and the stars 
 #372  by Guest
 Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:08 pm
Wasn't Bobby using some different lyrics when they brought the song back in the 90's?

Fun to play, but typical Bob wierdness with the funky chords and rhythms. :?
 #498  by Felix Millan
 Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:10 am
Funky, or painful? To me, the start of the chorus sounds very "contrived" ("BTW, keeps on pourin" part)... I've played this in a Dead cover band, & I tell ya, someone always misses it (probably b/c we never practiced!).

Still, IMHO, sounds like Weir & Barlow concocted this, as well as some other sections of this tune. Shame, cuz other parts of the song I like :cry:
 #1798  by Hank Quinlan
 Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:06 pm
D C#m A
Black throated wind, keeps on pouring in
Em C A
With its words of a life where nothing is new
D C#m A Em A
Ah, mother american night, I'm lost from the light
G D A
Oh, I'm drowning in you
__________________________________________________

OK the formatting got messed up with copy/paste but I highlighted the missing chord in red. After listening to a loop of the chorus for 20 minutes, I'm fairly certain this is correct-- at least on the 05-03-72 Paris recording.

P.S. Isn't all original music "concocted?"

 #12244  by HOWEYMAN
 Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:43 am
Does anyone know the "lead rythm" line that is played over the acoustic part on the Ace version of this song?

 #12246  by strumminsix
 Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:07 am
HOWEYMAN wrote:Does anyone know the "lead rythm" line that is played over the acoustic part on the Ace version of this song?
Something like this:
Code: Select all
E|------------------------12-----10-----9-----7-----5--------
B|--10-----12-----14--------------------------------------------
G|------------------------12-----11-----9-----7-----6-----
D|--11-----12-----14-------------------------------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------

 #12253  by HOWEYMAN
 Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:44 am
Thanks strumminsix. another question. Is this a Emajor line?

 #12254  by strumminsix
 Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:54 am
HOWEYMAN wrote:Thanks strumminsix. another question. Is this a Emajor line?
No. It's a play on partial chords playing the 3rds and 5ths.
Code: Select all
     A     G    A      C     Bm    A   G    F#m 
E|---------------------12----10----9----7----5-----
B|--10----12----14---------------------------------
G|---------------------12----11----9----7----6-----
D|--11----12----14---------------------------------
A|-------------------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------------------- 

 #12259  by HOWEYMAN
 Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:37 am
We are talking about the intro which is I believe
E Esus4?

 #12263  by strumminsix
 Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:03 am
HOWEYMAN wrote:We are talking about the intro which is I believe
E Esus4?
Huh? I was helping with the back half verse.

 #12266  by HOWEYMAN
 Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:02 pm
Sorry, I don't think we are on the same page. Thats cool it's no biggy. :-)
 #12267  by BlobWeird
 Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:39 pm
Felix Millan wrote:Funky, or painful? To me, the start of the chorus sounds very "contrived" ("BTW, keeps on pourin" part)... I've played this in a Dead cover band, & I tell ya, someone always misses it (probably b/c we never practiced!).

Still, IMHO, sounds like Weir & Barlow concocted this, as well as some other sections of this tune. Shame, cuz other parts of the song I like :cry:
It is a shame because I happen to love the whole song. Especially the chorus. I think it sounds raw as hell there lol Kinda hardcore in a sense haha. But of course the ending is the best part. 11/14/72 Amazing BTW.