Chat about Equipment Info
 #34106  by GratefulPat

i like my amp now, but its not "enough", not loud enough, not enough tone, not enough features... im trying to narrow it down to a very jer like tone, and im close on a marshall.... but i need a new amp, like 800 max, some suggestions?

#34119  by XxRouninxX

ill second the hotrod deville motion. I lucked out and picked up a used one (but still in good condition, just needs new tubes, and gotta replace the treble pot) for 300 bucks (i smoked up the kid who's dad owns the music store)

its a great amp, and its one of the best clean channels ive ever played, especially within the price range.

The overdrive channel is nice, gets a good tone at around 3 drive, with the volume up loud, really glistens.

on top of the drive channel, theres a more drive switch (which i think channels some of the circuit through solid state technology), but it still sounds good,a nd it will give you that boost you need if you start to feel lost in the mix.

one of the better amps in the pricerange.

The Best of It: perfect clean channel, fx loop, that great fender reverb, extra-drive mode, really loud (see below)

The Worst of It: Sounds crappy on a low volume, gotta turn this bitch up to get it to shine, though the volume isn't that responsive on the 4-12 range, its just that 0-4 range that gets loud fast. 3.5 will rattle my windows. If you play quietly, say volume 1.5 (still kinda loud for an amp at 1.5) you will get a pop when switching channels and some effects. Did I mention this beast is fucking HEAVY?

Another great tube amp in the pricerange is the peavey windsor. Its a newer model, but its good tube tone in a cheap package. Only thing is u dont get reverb, and the clean channel sounds like ass compared to the deville (one of the reasons i got the used deville over the peavey), but on the plusnote you can get a halfstack for like $700 bucks.

If you want 'fender tone" with a great clean channel and beautiful reverb, go with the fender, if you dont care much about clean channel or reverbe, but want a halfstack cheaper than a 2x10 get the peavey.

That or there are plenty of other amps out there, but as far as tube-tone for the price those are my two suggestions

#34126  by amyjared

I love my amp, it's the Fender deluxe reverb reissue and it's portable (I can carry it) and it cranks. The clean sound is great and I use a pedal for crunch. They're in your range and very versatile. That being said, I would bring your guitar and try as many amps at the store as possible to see which ones you like. It will help.

#34129  by China Cat

I have the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, which is one model below the Deville, and i like it a lot as well. My amp's jack got messed up when the tip of an input broke off in it, so i had to get that fixed. then i had a strange hum after the first repair, so it went back and i had to have my tubes replaced and my tube sockets redone because the tubes were making them too hot and loosening soldering.

The repair might not have ever needed to be done if some other kid hadnt broke the jack to begin with, but anyway it sounds great now. I run a Fender Am Dlx Strat->TS9 Tubescreamer->Dunlop Crybaby->Phase 90->amp and love my sound. i can definitely get a jerry sound as well as many others.

If the Deville is as good is the Hot Rod Deluxe, im sure its an amp worth getting. i havent heard of anyone else having the same problems with the Hot Rod, so im assuming it isnt a common issue.

#34132  by strumminsix

IMO a HRDx = HRD

The amps are so similar it ain't even funny just diff speakers.

I can't get a good vintage vibe out of either of them.

The DRRI is really good for the $$$ and has a vintage-esque vibe

#34160  by shakedown_04092

I 4th the HotRod Delux. Love it and a great buy for the $$. You'll have $$ to spare and can go get some FX pedals too. :cool:

#34167  by strumminsix

I actually advocate against a HRD(x).

Save up for a Silverface Fender instead.

#34172  by Laytonco

Go vintage. It can be cheaper and better. I have a blackfaced 1974 Fender Super Reverb and I paid $700. All tube, piont to pint wiring, tube rectifier. In last night's rehearsal, my set up was a 2001 Gibson SG Standard > Instrument Chord > 74 Fender Super. That's it, nothing else. I play Bobby in The Pranksters and what a tone I got out of that very simple set up. Help>Slip>Franklin was so pure and full, Greatest Story was rocking hard, TLEO was sweet. All I changed was my strum/pluck.

Peace,

Gil

#34177  by tigerstrat

HRD's are very good and can be gotten for under $500... vintage SF Fender is better quality, and in the $600-1000 range (BF Fender even a lil better but 1000-2000 at this point), however you said a couple of things that struck me: you want more features and also that you thought you were getting close with a Marshall of some kind. On the 1st point, we need an idea of what features you think you'd like to have (the HRD for example will have a nice lead channel, reverb, pre/post inputs/loop- while many old SF or BF amps have basically NO features)... and on the 2nd point, well let's just say most Fender models will get you a lot closer than most Marshalls. Most Marshalls I've seen are built to breakup fairly early.

You could also look for used deals in: Mesa Mark series, Rivera, Matchless, Peavey Classic 30 & 50

#34183  by frankielee

I've had my reverb deluxe for about 4 mos now and have not been disappointed...this is what Fender is all about...Great amp!

#34224  by GratefulPat

i want a twin reverb, but too much $$, i have a crybaby and a qtron now, but i know some amps have built in setting such as phase, delay..... and then just get a foot switch for some presets and id be set... but yes 500$ would be a lot better than 8 for me, but i gotta get exactly what i need otherwise i dont thinnk i should spend any money(on something other than what i want)... any other help appreciated

#34229  by shakedown_04092

GratefulPat wrote:i want a twin reverb, but too much $$, i have a crybaby and a qtron now, but i know some amps have built in setting such as phase, delay..... and then just get a foot switch for some presets and id be set... but yes 500$ would be a lot better than 8 for me, but i gotta get exactly what i need otherwise i dont thinnk i should spend any money(on something other than what i want)... any other help appreciated
I'm not sold on those amps w/ built-in FX like you mentioned - a buddy of mine had one and they were kind of toy-ish, like "whoopee, I can make an echo sound". I'd go a different route and save up and buy some really good FX, rather than the chic built-in ones. It may seem easier in the beginning to house it in an all-in-one unit like that, but my bet is you'd be sacraficing in the end, and most likely having to end up buying those FX anyways.

#34290  by I'm on the Bozo Bus

Hey Pat,
I am currently running two '64 Deluxe Reverbs. Not re-issues. While scratching my head for hours playing with XT live, XT Live X3 (as well as XT PODs and XT POD X3) I found a re-issue Deluxe Reverb to test drive the Line 6 stuff.

I found the re-issue to be pretty close right out of the box. I don't know if they had modded the floor model I played through in any way, but I really doubt it. It still had the tags etc.... and was ready to be sold.

I have been playing my Deluxe's for about 15 years now. I have a guy that know what he is doing take care of them for me and they are in GREAT shape. My point???? As mentioned, the re-issue was really close. It was hard to tell 100% as I was in a music shop (Box 'o Guitars) and was fighting against "Crazy Train" licks and "Walk" licks. Isn't there a rule about that???? I digress, I was pleasantly surprised that it sounded close to my vintage amps. They (DR RI or Vintage) may not have the headroom of Twins or Bassman amps but the tone is oh so sweet. I am of the school that much of ones tone is in the right hand (A good valve never hurts either).

I get plenty of volume for my "Gigs" with these amps, albeit I do mostly recording and have only recently gigged with a band as a last minute thing. I have not played in a working / active band in YEARS so I cannot speak to a great degree of knowledge about how it would pan out with a full band. Pre-amped amp mic's are a wonderful thing.

Nick....
More on the Line 6 in a different post. I have plenty of questions.....
I AM DIGGING THIS NEW TOY (XT Live)!!!!!! :cool:
Happy new year all,
PEACE,
Phil

EDIT:
I agree with Shakes post. Unless you go high $ on an "All in one" amp (I.E. Hughes Kettner high end amps), you will be off to the "Box 'o Guitars" looking for suppliments to the amps on-board effects. I have a small Line 6 Spider II. While the canned effects were kind of nifty for a while, they grew quite stale after a while.
For what it's worth.....

#34296  by bucketorain

i use a fender blues delux, american made,not the mex...i love it...may be a bit small in some circles for a great amp.