#33671  by China Cat

I just got an MXR Phase 90 pedal for christmas and ive heard that i should perform the R28 mod on it. How will it affect the sound of the pedal and how do i do this mod?

thanks

#33676  by tigerstrat

High Peaks wrote:Check out this site. It might be helpful.

http://www.erikhansen.net/?page_id=31
that looks very helpful indeed... I like the presentation on this site, the explanations about what each diode or resistor does if you take it out of the circuit or replace it or whatever. I think I might tinker with some of those SD-1 mods. thanks for the link!

#33683  by myoung6923

I did the r28 mod to mine - as well as the c11 and c12 mod. It makes a huge difference in sound. It's reported to make it pretty damn close to script specs - the sound is rich, lush and clean with no clipping. I love my modded phase 90.

#33693  by China Cat

thanks everyone. i moved my the phase 90 around in my current line of pedals and found that i can get the sound i wand with it at the very end of the chain, so i may not be doing the mod(s). thanks for the help and the link

#33694  by strumminsix

China Cat wrote:thanks everyone. i moved my the phase 90 around in my current line of pedals and found that i can get the sound i wand with it at the very end of the chain, so i may not be doing the mod(s). thanks for the help and the link
A line of pedals is dangerous. Each pedal impacts the tone of the subsequent. So a pedal at the end is impacted by all the predecessors. Try using the P90 as your only pedal and see if you like it. If you do then you need to either TrueBypass your other pedals or, highly suggested, find some sort of looper.

#33716  by China Cat

what kind of looper would help here?

#33731  by bucketorain

what is a better pedal, the MXR Phase or the Boss Phase Shifter?

#33752  by tigerstrat

bucketorain wrote:what is a better pedal, the MXR Phase or the Boss Phase Shifter?
The Mu-Tron Phasor II!

... however S6 will say the Maxon PH350 (haven't tried it mice elf)

r28

#33770  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:
bucketorain wrote:what is a better pedal, the MXR Phase or the Boss Phase Shifter?
The Mu-Tron Phasor II!

... however S6 will say the Maxon PH350 (haven't tried it mice elf)
The MT PIII is a delicious phaser!

However I do prefer the M PH350.

I like how it is "less" of an effect compared to most phasers and it works with my tone instead of replacing it with something phased out!