#3327  by Billbbill

A sentimental favorite of mine, the Europe '72 version. For a long time I went to sleep to that one back when my all in one stereo turntable would shut off the power to the whole unit when it got to the end of a side. A very sweet and powerful rendition.

#3334  by sarraqum

I gotta say 5/08/77 is nothing short of spectacular, the sheer power of it is overwhelming
 #3335  by phreaker

i like almost all the 68-69 era morning dews.

i also really like 7/4/89, which was released on Truckin up to Buffalo

#3338  by steve

I gotta go with 5-8-77. The way they build it up and explode sends chills down my spine. Truly a beautiful tune.
 #3339  by phreaker

I finally listened to this May 77 show everyones talking about. Man, it blows the other ones out of the water!

#3342  by SmokeStack

Wow so many but my fav= 11/2/85 Richmond Va. What a great 2nd set. Every note played seemed to be written in ink from some great composer of the Baroque era. The dew comes outta a space jam that sends goosebumps through my body. The high point is punctuated with a soaring Jerry solo bolstered by some awesome Brent Hammond B3 power...a must hear!!!

#3349  by shakedown_04092

Hey Phreaker, if you're just getting around to listening to Cornell (5/8/77), do yourself a favor and listen to the enitre show about 10 times in a row. One of the best shows of all time...IMO.

#3350  by strumminsix

5/8/77 is an overrated show. Is it a great show, yes, but there are plenty of other gems out there that don't get the recognition this show does. Heck even the show before and after are great!

Feb 73 has some gems and a great vibe.
74 brings in a more R&B flair to many tunes

All in all 77 is a great year, without exception, maybe one of their finest years when comparing in totality.

Other great shows from 77 are:
3/18 @ Winterland - most complete Terrapin w/Alhambra
May Palladium run in NY
5/25 @ the Mosque
10/2 @ Paramount just beautiful (in such contrast to 10/1)
10/6 @ Broome Cty Arena has a sweet St. Stephen!

#3351  by jck_strw

strumminsix wrote: 10/6 @ Broome Cty Arena has a sweet St. Stephen!
ss-
Did you mean 11-6-77? That's at Broome County Arena and is indeed a kick-ass show. My first tape, incidentally and my fav. Scarlet.

#3352  by shakedown_04092

I agree w/ you somewhat on 5/8/77, but it still is a great show w/ good versions of many songs, strumminsix; I do love 5/9/77 from Buffalo, what a great show. Always was one of my favs when I first started listening to the boys, and still is.

Agreed as well w/ the 3/18 Winterland and the 11/6 Broome. Good ones.

Also, from the year before, 10/9/76 Oakland is also one of my favs. 2nd set goes:

St. Stephen >
NFA>
St. Stephen
Help >
Slip >
drums >
Samson >
Slip >
Franklin's
One More Saturday Night

E: U.S. Blues

Another fav of mine is the show from Des Moines, IA on 6/16/74. Spectacular.

#3353  by strumminsix

Jck_st, yup meant 11/6. Totally, 5/8 is a treat and a great show and likely in the top 3 for fewest mistakes!

However, assuming that there are many newer heads here I felt like it was important to announce the overall beauty 1977 since too many heads genuflex at 05/08 as the be all end all when in reality it was just an outstanding show from a spectacular year :-)

#3358  by sarraqum

The 01/08/1973 Dew is awesome as well, comes right after Eyes and follows the 5/8/77 suit(or is it the other way around...), great build up and the grand ending follows.

#3366  by jck_strw

I'll be honest (and drunk), I've never been a big fan of 5-8-77. I swear, I've listened to that show about 20-30 times and it's never clicked for me. I mean, it has some good versions of the songs they do, but nothing has ever grabbed me. It's more of "Alright, let me give it another chance" kinda listens. There are much better shows out there is all I'm saying. I could name a better version of every song in that show.

Nonetheless, it's still a good show. It's just not all that (and a bag of chips).

#3514  by Aum

I absolutely have to go with the Dew from Europe 72. The solos in that version are so gut-wrenchingly beautiful that it is beyond description. Truly, truly a beautiful moment in the 72 tour of europe.
The 5/8/77 was very nice, but I def. think it's overratted.
Another of my favorites is the very first one they performed live. At the Human Be-In of 1967! The build-up solo at the end is rediculously beautiful considering that the dead weren't together for too long and that was the first time they played it.

#3605  by sarraqum

5/8/77 overrated? I would have to totally disagree on that one. Totally disagree. Yes, the first set does not stand out but magic always happens in the second set. The Scarlet>Fire transition, granted its not as full on as it would be in Brent's era but its goddamn beautiful, everyone is totally in sync, and the way the energy builds up during both songs and finally hits the boiling point before Scarlet outro is just.....well, beyond description. Stephen>NFA>Stephen is just fucking awesome, and Morning Dew is a moment in time that would never be repeated again. The whole show is as tight as a snare drum.