rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #32680  by Panda Licker
 Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:37 pm
I don't come across Dim chords often, and normally when I do, as a bassplayer, its really just my job to hold down the root of such a chord, since they normally pass quickly, used as a quick lead to something else


But I'm playing ship of Fools, and its holding Eo7 for two bars, at a slow tempo, so I can't really get away with just holding the E down.

so my questin is, the 7 of a Eo7 chord, would that be a D or a Db? I couldn't remember if that specific notation was for the half diminished, which would be built as E G Bb D (I think?!)

or if it was whole diminished, with the Db?
 #32682  by strumminsix
 Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:17 pm
Panda Licker wrote:
so my questin is, the 7 of a Eo7 chord, would that be a D or a Db? I couldn't remember if that specific notation was for the half diminished, which would be built as E G Bb D (I think?!)

or if it was whole diminished, with the Db?
dim7 = 1 b3 b5 bb7

Edim7 = E G A# C#
 #32689  by Panda Licker
 Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:22 pm
strumminsix wrote:
Panda Licker wrote:
so my questin is, the 7 of a Eo7 chord, would that be a D or a Db? I couldn't remember if that specific notation was for the half diminished, which would be built as E G Bb D (I think?!)

or if it was whole diminished, with the Db?
dim7 = 1 b3 b5 bb7

Edim7 = E G A# C#
thank ya much
 #32690  by jackr
 Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:46 pm
Panda Licker wrote:E G Bb D (I think?!)

or if it was whole diminished, with the Db?
Since your question has already been answered...

Remember that the key of E has 4 sharps. F# C# G# D#
no flats. Even though they are same and maybe I am being anal, but when I am in a key that has sharps I like to think of them that way. ( and the same for the flat keys)

Image
 #32696  by Panda Licker
 Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:14 pm
jackr wrote:
Panda Licker wrote:E G Bb D (I think?!)

or if it was whole diminished, with the Db?
Since your question has already been answered...

Remember that the key of E has 4 sharps. F# C# G# D#
no flats. Even though they are same and maybe I am being anal, but when I am in a key that has sharps I like to think of them that way. ( and the same for the flat keys)

Image
but this is Edim, whichs is F major