rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #31743  by jake
 Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:23 pm
Howdy.
This is my first post, although I check out this site frequently enough. Anyway, I have been interested in getting an envelope filter for about a year, and I've tried several (Maxon AF-9, three from electro-harmonix). Everytime I play one at a guitar shop, I always leave feeling disappointed! I CANNOT get any to sound like envelope filters. I have asked other people at different shops, and they are either not that familiar with them, or in one case can't use them either. Now I simply use a wah pedal for songs where Jerry would have used an envelope filter. Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
 #31763  by kenneybonz
 Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:49 am
hi..glad you posted
i tell ya, i bought and gave away a boss one.. and since getting a qtron ( which i love ) and seeing the online stuff about the emma discombobulator, i am really blown away by what is out there..
the qtron has instructions in it, if that is what you have.,. but it comes out right and is sweet .. after you look at that thread (and the ones for the songs that use it ) you can always post what you have and what setting choices there are and folks will often help ya close in on it..
this place is such a great resource.. :cool:

 #31777  by myoung6923
 Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:22 am
I have used all sorts of different envelope filters and I love the Q Tron. I have heard great things about the emma discombobulator (I have not tried it).

Any envelope filter is a bit tricky to get the settings and playing style just right for the sound that you want. Since it's triggering is dependent on the input signal you have to alter your picking so that you aren't peaking it too soon or not enough. You can dial in the sensitivity to roughly match your picking style - it just takes some getting used to.

It's also very sensitive to effects that are upstream of it as well as changes in volume from the guitar. So, once you set it for a good sound, if you change the volume of your guitar then the effects settings are not going to be what you want anymore. Also, some effects upstream of it, when turned on, will also affect it negatively as well.

The way Jerry's guitar was wired with an effects loop pre-volume pot allowed him to turn his guitar's volume up or down while his effects always recieved a constant level. This way his effects were not affected by the changing volume of the guitar.

 #31791  by shakedown_04092
 Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:33 am
Welcome Jake, and +1 to the Emma reco.

Also, I know I've said it before, but for wah's, check out http://www.garmopatmods.com/wahs.html#W ... %20Options. Awesome mods, and he makes them true bypass.

 #31792  by tigerstrat
 Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:50 am
Michael, these 4 paragraphs explain the essentials nearly perfectly, well done!
myoung6923 wrote:I have used all sorts of different envelope filters and I love the Q Tron. I have heard great things about the emma discombobulator (I have not tried it).
Having played both in my stage rig, I think the D-Bob and the standard Q are very nearly indistinguishable in sound. The D is more compact and slightly easier to tweak and you pay a little more. Either one could sub for my vintage Mu-Tron in a heartbeat.
myoung6923 wrote:Any envelope filter is a bit tricky to get the settings and playing style just right for the sound that you want. Since it's triggering is dependent on the input signal you have to alter your picking so that you aren't peaking it too soon or not enough. You can dial in the sensitivity to roughly match your picking style - it just takes some getting used to.

It's also very sensitive to effects that are upstream of it as well as changes in volume from the guitar.
+1,000,000!
myoung6923 wrote:So, once you set it for a good sound, if you change the volume of your guitar then the effects settings are not going to be what you want anymore. Also, some effects upstream of it, when turned on, will also affect it negatively as well.
I would add that anything upstream that isn't true bypass will flatten out the effect in a bad way, even when bypassed (OFF).
myoung6923 wrote:The way Jerry's guitar was wired with an effects loop pre-volume pot allowed him to turn his guitar's volume up or down while his effects always recieved a constant level. This way his effects were not affected by the changing volume of the guitar.

 #31804  by strumminsix
 Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:33 am
tigerstrat wrote: Having played both in my stage rig, I think the D-Bob and the standard Q are very nearly indistinguishable in sound. The D is more compact and slightly easier to tweak and you pay a little more.
I agree for lead tones. However I could not get a good funky rhythm with the Q.