#31328  by warrenMFKNhaynes

Revv23 wrote:Ok this will really make me sound like a hippie; but the guitar typically picks you. they try to maintain quality when mass producing guitars but each one just feels a bit different. If one gives you a feeling of "rightness" it's usually because it is right. You can always upgrade a guitars pickups; bridge; etc. but you can never upgrade it's feel.

One other thing to keep in mind is acoustic sound. If it doesn't sund good acoustically, the pickups are just there to cover up the bad sounds, rather then to amplify the good ones...

First post :smile:

fucking hippie, go listen to your "Grapefruit Dead" or whatever the fuck it is you hippies like to get high to.

:smile: :smile:

#31362  by Henry

spacehead333 wrote:What would you say is better, a standard, or a special?
Well I personally prefer the Standard because it resembles those from the late '60s. However, it seems that the earlier "new" Standards from the late '80s/early '90s had somewhat more vibe. I wouldn't trade mine for a new one.
About the guitars with Bigsbys made in the '60s, those are most probably later additions since they usually came stock with a Maestro Vibrola (wish they still did), except for the first SG/Les Pauls which had the sideways tremolo. Many times those were replaced with something else because of the tuning problems they caused, so for a player who needed a trem a Bigsby would have been a likely choice.

#31374  by Revv23

warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:
Revv23 wrote:Ok this will really make me sound like a hippie; but the guitar typically picks you. they try to maintain quality when mass producing guitars but each one just feels a bit different. If one gives you a feeling of "rightness" it's usually because it is right. You can always upgrade a guitars pickups; bridge; etc. but you can never upgrade it's feel.

One other thing to keep in mind is acoustic sound. If it doesn't sund good acoustically, the pickups are just there to cover up the bad sounds, rather then to amplify the good ones...

First post :smile:

fucking hippie, go listen to your "Grapefruit Dead" or whatever the fuck it is you hippies like to get high to.

:smile: :smile:
Haha thanks for the warm welcome! 8)

#31490  by BuddhaG

how about a LP with the double cutaway on top and bottom. i've got a standard and with my relatively short fingers its hard to reach the upper frets comfortably...

i would agree with the other posters about playhing the guitar before you buy it, each SG or LP or what have you is not the same.

#31537  by 1960strat

I got the 72 SG today. Set me back $1,100. I will post pictures as soon as i can.

#33527  by BlobWeird

I just picked up an SG Classic on saturday from Sam Ash. It was pre-owned and I got it for 725. Looks brand spankin new. The only scratches you;ll see on it are the pickguard. So im stoked. Thinkin about the amp now. I plugged this SG into a Hot Rod Deluxe at the store and I was very impressed. Now do you think the Twin Rev reissue is a better sounding and quality amp than the hot rod? Also what about the Blues Deville? Obviously Im goin for Jerry tone here.

#34194  by Revv23

hey blob wierd - the twin reverb and the hot rod are both awesome amps.

The twin reverb has alot more clean headroom then the hot-rod. On the flip side the hot rod sounds terrific all the way up to volume 12. Just the right amount of distortion for me. Plus it's $300-500 cheaper. I went with the hot rod deville and couldn't be happier. does great jerry tone and has a great distortion channel as well. (dont think the twin has distortion channels)

I've never been able to find a blues deville so i can't comment on that.

#34199  by BlobWeird

Thanks for the input Revv. I still have yet to go get it. But yeah I think ive decided on the Hot Rod Deluxe. So how is the reverb on the HR compared to the Twin?

#34204  by strumminsix

BlobWeird wrote:Now do you think the Twin Rev reissue is a better sounding and quality amp than the hot rod? Also what about the Blues Deville? Obviously Im goin for Jerry tone here.
If you are going for JG - get the TRRI.

The BDs are fine amps and so are the HRDx's but the TRRI is superior to both.

#34205  by Tennessee Jedi

Strum
The 100 watt Fender Twin has an 1/4 power switch.
Am I right in assuming that I could look at it as a 25 watter? 100 watts is a lot of juice.I dont want to hurt anyone.@25 watts I could get thru practice right?
What do think about the 65 re issue that only has 1 speaker instead of 2?
Is that just a gimmick or what?
Looking for the Jerry sound.
I got no clue to be honest.
Happy new Year Strum.
Hows the acoustic duo thing going?

:cool:

#34225  by strumminsix

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Strum
The 100 watt Fender Twin has an 1/4 power switch.
Am I right in assuming that I could look at it as a 25 watter? 100 watts is a lot of juice.I dont want to hurt anyone.@25 watts I could get thru practice right?
What do think about the 65 re issue that only has 1 speaker instead of 2?
Is that just a gimmick or what?
Looking for the Jerry sound.
I got no clue to be honest.
Happy new Year Strum.
Hows the acoustic duo thing going?

:cool:
Happy new year to you, TJ! My advise is to always buy high quality. Otherwise you will only replace it sooner or have ear fatigue in the case of amps.

The 65 Twin Reverb reissue is only a 2x12 as far as I know. There are others in the reissue series that are 1x12.

25W is plenty for practice. 100W is plenty for a larger venue unmic'd. Yes, you can look at it like a 25w amp.

IMO it is the only thing made today to get close to JG's in a combo.

Acoustic thing is casual and conflicting calendars for now. I'm sure in a month or two it'll pick back up!

#34230  by deadguise

The Twin Reverb Re-Issue Custom has one 15" speaker that's modeled after a 15" JBL (E-150?). It sounds great, has a fatter sound. To my ears, it nails Jerry's tone with that low note growl that you hear with the intro riffs of "Althea" & "Sugaree" as an example. I think they sound better than the 2 x 12's.
When I play my SG through it, think Live Dead sound.

#34242  by tigerstrat

Stu Ross of JGB rocks the TRRI Custom 15.

#34243  by strumminsix

My bad. Figured the TWIN in TRRI meant twin speakers.

I have heard the custom 1x15 from a dude that does SRV.

He got great tone from it and sounded like a richer Vibroverb.

I'd imagine you'll get some clipping from the speaker but I can't say for sure and couldn't find specs on line.