#31229  by spacehead333

So i know i just made a topic about les paul, or prs. But i found a brown Gibson Sg special for 800 bucks, and i was asking should i get it, or wait and get a les paul or prs. The SG is brand new

#31230  by Fuzheng

I assume you've played them all at this point, so I ask which one feels better and I mean that literally. 10 years ago I had bought an American Standard strat with a maple neck. It was the feel of the neck that sold me on it. How it felt in my hand, the surety, the precision. I had also been looking at lower end Les Pauls and the SG and they just didn't match the feel.

#31241  by astroman99

Love Sg;s just make sure it has a tunamatic bridge, or in other words an adjustable bridge.
good luck

#31246  by Revv23

Ok this will really make me sound like a hippie; but the guitar typically picks you. they try to maintain quality when mass producing guitars but each one just feels a bit different. If one gives you a feeling of "rightness" it's usually because it is right. You can always upgrade a guitars pickups; bridge; etc. but you can never upgrade it's feel.

One other thing to keep in mind is acoustic sound. If it doesn't sund good acoustically, the pickups are just there to cover up the bad sounds, rather then to amplify the good ones...

First post :smile:

#31260  by b weird

I just bought a SG Faded for $579.00 and I love it. I just wish I had had more money then I would have bought a SG Special.

#31263  by Henry

I played SGs on and off ever since I started 28 years ago, used to have a few that I never should have let go... Now I've finally got one again, a 1991 Standard which looks and feels already very vintage-like. I've added a Bigsby, now it looks just like Jerry's. And it wasn't even that expensive, only slightly more than a new Special. New guitars just feel kind of cold to me, there's nothing like one that's nicely broken in.

#31284  by alcorelectric

I have about 15 electric guitars.
Having just purchased an sg, I have a couple complaints. It is neck heavy.
The guitar plays well, sounds great, and is very light and comfortable, butyou need to be aware that it has a tendancy to nose dive if you take your hands off the neck.
The second complaint is the tuners are pure garbage.
They are made to look like vintage Klusons, but do not hold up like them.
Others than those two items I am definately happy with my purchase.
As far as the differances between the standard and the special I believe it is only cosmetic. ie inlays and covered pickups.
T

#31285  by 1960strat

I am currently negotiating with an owner of a 72 custom w a bigsby that is all original. There is one issue with the guitar. It has a crack in the headstock near the high e tuner. It isnt a break in the headstock in the normal place (i.e. broken off at the "heal" of the headstock.) the owner also says it did not break off, which i doesnt appear to (by looking at it through a lighted magnifying glass). Owner wants $1200. What think the group? It is a beautiful vintage piece that plays really nice.

#31301  by alcorelectric

As far as price goes I think its definately worth 1200.
The concern I would have is the actual date of manufacture.
From what Ive read the bigsbys were added to the product line in the late seventies, not early.
Which may change your negotiating strategy.
M2C
T

#31302  by tigerstrat

alcorelectric wrote:As far as price goes I think its definately worth 1200.
The concern I would have is the actual date of manufacture.
From what Ive read the bigsbys were added to the product line in the late seventies, not early.
Which may change your negotiating strategy.
M2C
T
What about all those 60's Gibsons with Bigsby bridges?

#31305  by alcorelectric

"In 1973 they had black plastic covers covering the humbucking pickups , in 1975 gibson added a tun o matic bridge , during the late 70s bigsby vibratos and stop tailpieces along with more color variations were added such as walnut , tobacco and white ".

This is a quote from a vintage guitar blog.

As I stated earlier the statement I made is "from what Ive read".
T

#31307  by 1960strat

This guitar has chrome covers that have Gibson written on them. I was told that these were only used in 72.

#31309  by 1960strat

Also this is an SG custom, not a standard. I know much more about fenders than gibsons, thus all the questions.