#28363  by Long Distance Runner

For Ben Harper and Ween, check out their new albums. They're both great. As far as the Umphrey's and Bisco argument, I'm a big Umphrey's fan. I also like Bisco, but not as much. Umphrey's is definitely one of the, if not the most, musically talented band around today, and their jams are always new and never boring. Jake and Brendan are amazing guitarists and Kris Myers is insane on the skins. Ryan Stasik is also amazing at the bass.

#31206  by Candyman421

well im gonna jump in here and just say that i dont like UM at all, sorry i dont need a long lecture about how good they are, ive listened,imho they just arent that good, sorry, they maybe the most talented band in the fuckin planet, they just arent my cup of tea. the bands that i will pay to see are Yonder, RRE, MMW (w/scofield preferably) a local group out of milwaukee called Chinese Fingertrap (theyre on archive check them out), God Johnson, and Old Crow Medicine Show.

#31219  by gratephulphish123

Long Distance Runner wrote:For Ben Harper and Ween, check out their new albums. They're both great. As far as the Umphrey's and Bisco argument, I'm a big Umphrey's fan. I also like Bisco, but not as much. Umphrey's is definitely one of the, if not the most, musically talented band around today, and their jams are always new and never boring. Jake and Brendan are amazing guitarists and Kris Myers is insane on the skins. Ryan Stasik is also amazing at the bass.
harpers new album may be good but i saw him live on conan and it was insanely weak. there was no driving sound, all the instruments were down way too low and his singing was way too loud, a problem i've seen with almost all modern acts.

kelly clarkson's act during the thanksgiving football games sucked because 1) she's kelly clarkson 2) the instruments couldnt be heard over pins hitting the grass and kelly was louder than god himself. might as well have put her up there with a drummer, he's the only one i could hear well.

this new mixing ruined all the modern acts during the live earth concerts while the vets like rodger waters and billy corgan sounded great. this new vocal accentuating mixing is an insanely stupid trend. i just hope they fix it before i listen to since you've been gone. kelly needs to be drowned out in a major way :?

#31227  by smile_smile_smile

I've always wondered why the bass players from umph and bisco find it necessary to bob there heads so excessivly during the entire show... do they ever have neck problems? do they cancel shows because the bass player pulls a muscle?

#31232  by Hajimemashite!!!

yeah hahahha head bobbin'

actually i think thats why tea leafs bassist is leaving, all the head bobbing, can't even hold the damn thing up anymore, just kinda hangs there, limply

#31249  by hotasaPistol

ERIC SARDENAS...........freaking amazing blues slide guitar player.....played at my place last night and it was like nothing I ever saw before...he has played a lot with Johnny Winter and is a student of the old school delta blues men and just tears it up...he is in San Francisco in the next day or two and if you can you shouldn't miss it....
check out my place at orangeblossomjunction.com....
Pistol :cool:

#31264  by Tennessee Jedi

Yo checked out your place.
Real cool man.
Love the interior.Great vibe.Flowers on the outside.The devil is in the details and you look right on top of things.
Website is well done.
I always thought it would be great own my own place.What a great way to met your heros.Bring them in treat them right and hang.
Is that old head with the great J.Winters you?
Man I love the blues.
Do you mainly bring in blues/guitar acts?
Bet its a ton of work, huh?
Hey I've given up on going to the Hockeyrinks and football stadiums for music.Your kind of place is where its at.
Hey if you get a chance check out this place that is 3 blocks from my house.Its in the same vein as your thing.Great food too.Even some of the same acts.You might have a leg up though bro.
www.st94.com
Good luck...

#31265  by big_river_bum

i saw eric sardinas like 5 years ago at my hometowns bluesfest. its a small town(6,000) people, but draws probably a thousand people from the midwest. its on an island right on the mississippi and eric tore it up. i was only like 16 and it was the best concert i'd seen up til then. i think he lit his guitar on fire and kept playing it

other artist(may be some repeats from my 1st post)-

gillian welch-old country/bluegrass/old tyme stuff. great lyricist and singer
robbie fulks-alt-country legend.
dannie barnes- master of banjo
the avett brothers
stealin strings
cornmeal

#31267  by astav

The Mermen = mind melting psychedelic surf inspired reverberized mayhem. Jim Thomas might be today's
best unknown guitar player.

Zappa Jr = fearless take on some of Frank's most challenging white knuckle compositions. Dweezil is as good as
his old man and the whole group just rips.
Pure excellence...

I second MMW, Old Crow Medicine Show, and Maceo (head to toe boogie sweatin' funk fest)

#31291  by Hajimemashite!!!

astav wrote:
Zappa Jr
yeah i was REALLY surprised at how good dweezil was with ZPZ
a ton

good call 8)

#31295  by tigerstrat

big_river_bum wrote:
Big +1 on the Danny Barnes recommendation!! Especially if he's sitting in with Yonder + Darol Anger!! Not sure I would call him a master the likes of Bill "Brad" Keith, but the man plays the heaviest banjo music ever.

#31297  by big_river_bum

the master of banjo would be mr. j.d. crowe

#31325  by Hajimemashite!!!

tigerstrat wrote:
big_river_bum wrote:
Big +1 on the Danny Barnes recommendation!! Especially if he's sitting in with Yonder + Darol Anger!! Not sure I would call him a master the likes of Bill "Brad" Keith, but the man plays the heaviest banjo music ever.
i never heard danny barnes, but yonder with anger is amazing! i seriously belive he should join them permanently

#31386  by big_river_bum

^^^i like darol, but only in small doses. he's too whiney sounding for my tastes. wish he had a more rounded full bodied sound. most of my friends are pumped he's not playing new years. just the 1st 2 nights.

danny barnes is a banjo/guitar player who is most unique. he used to be in the band the Bad Livers who were awesome. he's written songs like crow black chicken, death trip, funtime,going where they do not know my name that yonder covers and probably inspired them to start playing ooh la la. no one plays a heavier banjer than danny