#31058  by CaptainTrips

another fine job. you really got those chordal fills down to a science. now without tabbing them, cause thats the easy way out, how are you going about choosing the notes in your chordal fills? I mean it seems you are taking them from one root to another but thats something Ive been working on with my playing now.

#31062  by Billbbill

CaptainTrips wrote:another fine job. you really got those chordal fills down to a science. now without tabbing them, cause thats the easy way out, how are you going about choosing the notes in your chordal fills? I mean it seems you are taking them from one root to another but thats something Ive been working on with my playing now.
Thanks cap.

I assume you're talking about the fill over the Em-G-D portion?

If so I pretty much play a D maj pentatonic scale with an added G. Now, those are the notes, I'm not sure what key this tune is in. I just pay attention to playing over the chords so while over Em I pay special attention to the Em triad (E, G, B) etc. This, for beginning and ending phrases as well as adding color.

If this ain't it, just be more specific.

I'll tab something out if you'd like. A riff or lick here or there. I just don't want to do go a little nuts and do a whole lead etc. And as jack straw pointed out a while back, it's best for one's own progress to at least give it a good go before asking. I don't say this in reference to you cap as much as just in general. I can tell that you put in the work.

#31069  by GratefulPat

very nice bill.. thats a great tune

#31074  by frankielee

As usual nice job Bill...keep em' comin'!

#31075  by prephippie

Outstanding job on the video. Man that's a great tune.

#31076  by CaptainTrips

Billbbill wrote:
CaptainTrips wrote:another fine job. you really got those chordal fills down to a science. now without tabbing them, cause thats the easy way out, how are you going about choosing the notes in your chordal fills? I mean it seems you are taking them from one root to another but thats something Ive been working on with my playing now.
Thanks cap.

I assume you're talking about the fill over the Em-G-D portion?

If so I pretty much play a D maj pentatonic scale with an added G. Now, those are the notes, I'm not sure what key this tune is in. I just pay attention to playing over the chords so while over Em I pay special attention to the Em triad (E, G, B) etc. This, for beginning and ending phrases as well as adding color.

If this ain't it, just be more specific.

I'll tab something out if you'd like. A riff or lick here or there. I just don't want to do go a little nuts and do a whole lead etc. And as jack straw pointed out a while back, it's best for one's own progress to at least give it a good go before asking. I don't say this in reference to you cap as much as just in general. I can tell that you put in the work.
Yeah, I was talking about mainly your playing in general has great chordal fills and when I try to do them I struggle at it. It really makes a song sound great with just a single guitar.

And I really dont want it tabbed, although I greatly appreciate the offer. As has been said, you dont learn anything from this method of going about things.

So, it seems like you are just playing pentatonics with concern to the triads involved. Ill have to keep on plugging away. I mean if you tab something out then Ill know how you play that one song, or that one fill. In the big picture, I know that wont help. Thanks.

#31078  by CaptainTrips

And that first paragraph was exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Ive been pulling out of the min pent and with maj progressions it didnt sound right . . . :?

#31208  by Rev_Roach

not to distract from the excellent musical performance, but did you really remember all the words? or are you slyly looking down at something?

#31217  by Billbbill

Rev_Roach wrote:not to distract from the excellent musical performance, but did you really remember all the words? or are you slyly looking down at something?
I actually know this one fairly well but since I hadn't done it much in quite a while I am indeed sneakin a lyric peak here and there.

I must confess I've done this to one degree or another with them all. :shock: .. except Birdsong - I think :lol:

I suppose I just haven't done them from end to end enough and in the interest of a more polished product... I be cheatin' :P

Doing these vids serves a multitude of purposes, one being gettin a grip on the lyrics, although I don't really have to record to satisfy that aim. It's added motivation.

#31530  by LazyLightnin

I really , really, really love this song. your vids are fantastic Bill. your a great player and this vid just took me away for a minute, thanks so much! :-)

#31533  by Billbbill

LazyLightnin wrote:I really , really, really love this song. your vids are fantastic Bill. your a great player and this vid just took me away for a minute, thanks so much! :-)
Thanks Lazy - there's no greater compliment than that. We're all players for just that reason. To transcend time for a moment or two and be at a place where for just that bit of time something is speaking to us in some meaningful way. Thanks again.

#31541  by LazyLightnin

your welcome bill. i just watched it again, and then jammed along with it. youve got great presence, keep em coming. ill go subscribe to you on youtube right now. :D
 #71008  by enardi

hey bill, what scale did you use for your leads here? I saw in one of your responses that you use the d major petatonic, but I can't quite get it to sound right (or is that d scale just for the em g d section?), do you use other scales as well?