#29530  by betteroffdeadnc

That could be a significant factor in his amp's sound then. You can do a similar, but less significant, thing by removing the 1st tube of the normal channel (assuming of course that you're playing through the Vibrato/Reverb channel). I find that it sounds better in most 2 channel Fenders.

#29533  by tigerstrat

waldo041 wrote:
betteroffdeadnc wrote:Hey Guys,
I have a question. Does anyone know if Jerry's Twins had the output circuitry removed? I mean, if he wasn't using the amp to drive speakers he would have to remove the power tubes to prevent the output transformers from self destructing and potentially shorting out the whole amp. So if he removed the tubes he would have probably removed the OT, since why would you carry a few lbs of iron if you weren't going to use it. So If the tubes and the OTs were removed from his amps, the operating voltages of the preamps probably went up since the preamp voltages are determined by the overall current pull through the voltage divider chain in the power supply. Does anyone know if he had this modified or ran the preamps hot?

-s
i believe the output tubes were all that was removed. appears all to be there, probably as a backup if needed.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h36/w ... an0001.jpg

peace,
waldo
In 73-74 shots, you can also see that the trannies are all there.

I doubt weight would be a factor since they had crew to move everything.

I also doubt that backup was a consideration, since if a Mac failed they would go to a backup Mac rather than insert the Twins power tubes.

They probably left the output circuitry in because A) it would as you said raise the voltages, where they didn't want/need them raised, B) it would be more work to take them out; and possibly even C) easier to resell the amp with them intact.

#29546  by GratefulPat

he used the mesas when he practiced backstage before shows in the late 80s early 90s, i believe the studio at times also

#29548  by tigerstrat

GratefulPat wrote:he used the mesas when he practiced backstage before shows in the late 80s early 90s, i believe the studio at times also
Where did you get this backstage info? What Mesa? I always thought he would either use that tiny Fender Harvard (although that pic is clearly mid-70's), or- as seen in Justin Kreutzmann's home video of Jerry playing "Crazy Fingers" in the dressing room- no amp at all.

#29549  by tigerstrat

[quote="waldo041
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h36/w ... an0001.jpg

peace,
waldo[/quote]

Jerry's Mutron III and Octave-Divider are barely visible in this pic, on the floor and nearly buried in confetti!

#29554  by strumminsix

GratefulPat wrote:he used the mesas when he practiced backstage before shows in the late 80s early 90s, i believe the studio at times also
Ya, where did you hear this?

Always heard a Harvard as well.

Seems unlikely he'd play a Mesa to warm up then a Fender live.
 #29555  by Tennessee Jedi

Gee Bobstar and Donna look real chummy in that shot.
I thought Jerry sounded un-plugged on the Crazy Fingers video.
What a great sounding guitar. :cool:
 #29573  by tigerstrat

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Gee Bobstar and Donna look real chummy in that shot.
I thought Jerry sounded un-plugged on the Crazy Fingers video.
What a great sounding guitar. :cool:
Yep...a little too chummy :x

#29582  by GratefulPat

too my knowledge yes mesa, then fender, depending on the year i guess. just some different you tube vids ive seen him on the mesa...

#29583  by GratefulPat

i could be wrong though

#30389  by willmusic

Hey everybody. Think I may have posted about this before (can't remember????) but yeah, I too have read something about backstage mesas as well as one being kept in the trunk of his beamer. Now if I could just remember where I read it....
 #30421  by Maybeck09

as i understand it he mainly used 2 Fender twins. a silverface and a blackface. Both rebuilt many a time and as others have said were later pushed my McIntosh preamps.
The Mesa Boogie he used, studio/backstage and for fun.

If you get to a decent music store that carries Mesa check out the current catalog which contains a nice history and timeline ( also a pic of Jerry playing) The first were in fact Fenders that they modified Princtons I believe.

#30422  by GratefulPat

thought i was right about that
 #30428  by tigerstrat

Maybeck09 wrote:as i understand it he mainly used 2 Fender twins. a silverface and a blackface. Both rebuilt many a time and as others have said were later pushed my McIntosh preamps.
The Mesa Boogie he used, studio/backstage and for fun.

If you get to a decent music store that carries Mesa check out the current catalog which contains a nice history and timeline ( also a pic of Jerry playing) The first were in fact Fenders that they modified Princtons I believe.

OK, here's how it really goes:

In the very beginning, JG used a BF Twin.

By around 68, he had three BF and/or SF Twins onstage; it was also around this time that Wickersham says the Twins were fed into MC275 power amps. (so I don't know why he had more than one, maybe as backups)

By 72, only one Twin is seen onstage and fed into a MC275's.(fall 72 a MC3500; he also used a MC3500 at the Orpheum 76 shows)

73-74 still one Twin, fed into two MC2300's (Wall of Sound)

75 - 10/3/76: two Mesa Mark I's (only one used, the other backup) fed into one MC2300. He recorded Blues For Allah on the Mk I.

10/9/76 - 12/31/89: the familiar SF & BF Twin mounted into a single Twin combo cabinet.(SF main rig, BF backup) ONE Twin was used, into one MC2300.

90-95: Groove Tube Trio into MC2300

footnote: JGB tour February 1980, he used a Mesa Mark IIA head fed into a MC2300.

There is also a pic from a Reconstruction show (1979) that shows Mark I's set up onstage. I figure that sometimes when he played non-GD gigs, his main rig was already on a truck headed for a GD tour stop.