Chat about Equipment Info
 #30065  by 1960strat

Well i finally am getting a twin. a '68 silverface. the speakers have new weber californias in it. I am considering buying a pair of e120s and putting them in. Question is are reconed e120's going to be equivlent to the webers? I havent heard the speakers yet so i will see. also the guy i am buying it from changed the faceplate to a 66 blackface. If anyone has a '68 silverfaceplate they want to sell i am interested.

#30072  by tigerstrat

Depends on what you mean by "equivalent".

And imho I would keep the BF front panel... is it BF'ed inside?

#30076  by 1960strat

I was told that it was BF'ed, but i am not sure exactly what that means. The guy told me the tech changed some capacitors. Also if it is a 68, then I believe it is ab763, which should mean it already is bf'ed.. right?

By equivalent, i am talking Jer tone. I have no idea how much headroom those speakers are going to give.

#30083  by tigerstrat

68 was a transitional year- some were cosmetically SF but still BF inside. Some were AC568 or AA658 rather than AB763. All easy to revert to BF though. It's mainly a change in the biasing circuit.

1960strat wrote:I was told that it was BF'ed, but i am not sure exactly what that means. The guy told me the tech changed some capacitors. Also if it is a 68, then I believe it is ab763, which should mean it already is bf'ed.. right?
Last edited by tigerstrat on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

#30091  by deadguise

I hope you have a strong back or a good road crew because if you think a twin is heavy just wait until you install the JBLs. The Js sound best when some "juice" is pumped through them, so your twin will be really loud & heavy!

#30111  by 1960strat

I am not all that worried about the weight. I will sacrifice my back for tone. Anyway, my trainer will tell me it is good for me to lug it around.

#30112  by tigerstrat

A Dual Showman Reverb head with a cab would split the weight into two much more reasonable loads. Saves my back!

#30114  by I'm on the Bozo Bus

This may be a different application than 1960 Strat may have.
I am sticking to my guns..... A pair of 64 delux reverbs... It may not "move as much air" as a Twin oh but the sweet sound....
We are lucky here in the "Home-town", A friend owns a shop and always has a decent line-up of the good stuff.... Old Fenders. I went by last weekend and he had a new crop ... I plugged a few in and I am about to turn the corner (for no other reason than to have it) and pick up a good Twin / DS / Band Master.

I digress....
1960 Strat, I'll be going by the shop this weekend... If he has a BF Plate for a '68 SF, I'll pick it up... and let you know... No promises but I do promise to look.
PEACE,
Phil

#30118  by strumminsix

Get Weber Neo Mags.

I have a pair and run them with my 1968 Dual Showman Reverb and it is tonal bliss to no end! I compared those to my Weber Cali and they beat the Cali's out hands down.

The Calis are good speakers but he Neo's are great speakers and very similar to the D120Fs. And a fraction of the weight.

#30120  by tigerstrat

I'm on the Bozo Bus wrote: 1960 Strat, I'll be going by the shop this weekend... If he has a BF Plate for a '68 SF, I'll pick it up... and let you know... No promises but I do promise to look.
He wants a SF front panel, to replace his BF panel.

#30123  by I'm on the Bozo Bus

tigerstrat wrote:
I'm on the Bozo Bus wrote: 1960 Strat, I'll be going by the shop this weekend... If he has a BF Plate for a '68 SF, I'll pick it up... and let you know... No promises but I do promise to look.
He wants a SF front panel, to replace his BF panel.
Who's on first????
Thanks TS...
I printed this jsut so I can get it right... Too many years of data in the gray matter.....
Thanks,
Phil

#30208  by 1960strat

Bozo,

I already have a vintage 65 Deluxe Reverb, which i love, just going for the twin tone/headroom and volume.

#30659  by I'm on the Bozo Bus

I would sooner give up one of the kids than my two DR's.... Well... Not really... I do want to stay married and out of jail, but it would be a tough call.... :oops:

Went by my local "Older than dirt shop" and he has been picked clean of face plates without an amp to belong. I asked him to keep a stash for me and he will. According to him, face plates with out an amp.. come faw and few in between.... don't hold your breath, but I have flagged this one just in case he comes up with one.
PEACE,
Phil

#32041  by Revv23

Wait til you hear it with the california's... who knows might be just what you are looking for... I've heard good thing about weber speakers.. though i don't have any experience... if it's not "your sound" then switch those suckers! :)

#32048  by tigerstrat

1960, did you ever get the Twin?