#9517  by Billbbill

Move the open C form (that you'd play at the end of the neck)

e-0-
b-1-
g-0-
d-2-
a-3-
e

up to and barre the 9th fret to get an A chord

e-9
b-10
g-9
d-11
a

He's not playing the A string but that'd be 12, and then back 2 frets for the G chord.

He's playing the A open form (or G depending on how you look at it)

b-7
g-7
d-7
a-9

for the D chord

#9526  by wisedyes

It is all based on the CAGED system for the fretboard. The neck can be divided into essentially different positions for using the first postion C,A,G,E, and D chords. These positions are also extremely useful for learning to "line up" and use your Major scales. The Fretboard Logic series of books are I guess the most popular titles based on this method.

Also, you may already know two of the chord shapes without even realizing it; the E form and A form barre chords are part of it. So, all you need to do is learn the C,G, and D shapes.

D Major "G" form at 10th fret-

e - 10 ( root )
B - 7
G - 7
D - 7
A - 9
E - 10 ( root )

A Major "C" form at 12th fret -

e - 9
B - 10 ( root )
G - 9
D - 11
A - 12 ( root )
E - x ( or 9 )

You should be able to see how these are the first position G and C Major chord shapes, with what would be the open strings in the first position now fretted. Now, here is the A Major "D" form at the 9th fret:

e - 9
B - 10
G - 9
D - 7 ( root )
A - x ( or 7 )
E - x

See how this makes up a 1st position D major chord form, again with what would be the open 4th string now fretted?

IMHO, learning the CAGED system, along with truly understanding the Major scale and it's functionality and harmonizations, are THE single biggest step in becoming a fluent player.
 #26889  by kenneybonz

that 10th fret illustration you started with, it THAT supposed to make up a chord? of course i'm used to making a chord at the 10th fret.. like a D or a C, but if that is a chord formation, it would look like a, reverse (?) way of making one? which i can do i guess, i;m just not sure if that's what ya meant .. tom
 #26894  by shakedown_04092

kenneybonz wrote:that 10th fret illustration you started with, it THAT supposed to make up a chord? of course i'm used to making a chord at the 10th fret.. like a D or a C, but if that is a chord formation, it would look like a, reverse (?) way of making one? which i can do i guess, i;m just not sure if that's what ya meant .. tom
kennebonz - the 10th fret illustration that wisewyes showed above is a D chord played in the "G" form of the CAGED system.

Play a normal open G and just move it up to the 10th fret. You have to re-arrange your fingers so account for the open strings of that original open G chord, but that's what it is.

e - 10 (pinkie)
B - 7 (barre w/ you index)
G - 7 (barre w/ you index)
D - 7 (barre w/ you index)
A - 9 (middle)
E - 10 (ring)

Major chords are made up of only 3 notes (though sometimes some are repeated, meaning a note may be played twice within a chord) = the 1st, the 3rd, and the 5th. Take a look at any major chord and you'll see only 3 notes being played. So all you're doing here is playing those 3 notes (1st, 3rd, 5th) in different positions.

#26899  by st. stephen

Sorry for interrupting, but I watched the vid and I've got a nother question, jdarks says that the soloing in Franklin's is pentatonics over the A, but the song is in D, isn't it??
Can somebody explain?

#26905  by ronster

The song is in the key of A not D. The primary chords are A and D being the 1 and 4 chords and G being a transition chord. At first glance you see D, G, and A chords and you would think key of D but not the case.

#26906  by st. stephen

:shock: thanx ronster

#26962  by bodiddley

This is cool, now I can play the whole progression barring at the seventh fret. I love it, because this is now like the 5th or 6th way I have of doing this chord progression. It's such an accessable tune that it makes it A good learning song for finding chords up and down the neck. Thanks for the input guys!

#26963  by Billbbill

bodiddley wrote:This is cool, now I can play the whole progression barring at the seventh fret...
Here's another for you - (maybe) - How about all at the 5th fret?

A (open E position)
e-5-
b-5-
g-6-
d-7-
a-7-
E-5-

G (open D position)
e-X-
b-8-
g-7-
d-5-
a-5-
E-X-

D (open A position)
e-5-
b-7-
g-7-
d-7-
a-5-
E-5-

#26968  by bodiddley

I don't see how that G makes up an open D position. ?.

#26978  by shakedown_04092

bodiddley wrote:I don't see how that G makes up an open D position. ?.
G (open D position)
e-X-
b-8-
g-7-
d-5-
a-5-
E-X-

here's the G in the open D position:

G (open D position)
e-7-
b-8-
g-7-
d-x-
a-x-
E-X-

What Billbbill was showing you was another variation of it, allowing you to stay on the 5th fret. When you play an open D chord on the 2nd & 3rd frets, the open A on the 5th string and the open D on the 4th string are "ok" to play as well, since both notes are in the D chord - that's what the two 5's are in his chord, if that makes sense.

Here's another variation, but this one moves you up to the 7th fret:

G (open D position)
e-7-
b-8-
g-7-
d-9-
a-10-
E-X-

#26980  by Billbbill

bodiddley wrote:I don't see how that G makes up an open D position. ?.
To go a bit further than shakedown's explanation think of this D (open, no third w/ the extra A in the bass)

e-x-
b-3-
g-2-
d-0-
a-0-
E--

and move it up 5 frets barring the 5's w/ the index finger than the 8 with the pinky and 7 w/ the ring finger - drops nicely into the D chord. Sometimes the 5th of the chord triad may not sound that good on the bottom but I think it works well here as the D bass note in the G chord (5th in G) parlays nicely to the D bass of the D chord.

#26985  by bodiddley

ok, I see it now. Didn't have my guitar handy before and it all looked kinda greek to me without it. Sometimes I have a thing with tabs where it's a chord I know and play but see it tabbed out and it makes me feel dyslexic or something.

#26988  by shakedown_04092

bodiddley wrote:Sometimes I have a thing with tabs where it's a chord I know and play but see it tabbed out and it makes me feel dyslexic or something.
Dude, I have that same problem :lol:

Doh!