Musical Theory Abound!!!

#26752  by Scary Pete

No Woman No Cry [Live] is my favorite Bob Marley song, although there is not a single one I dislike. Marley's almost as good as the dead in my opinion.

#26758  by tigerstrat

Too many favorites...

Redemption Song
Could You Be Loved?
Kinky Reggae
Small Axe
Burnin And Lootin'
Lively Up Yourself
Bend Down Low
Sun Is Shining
Trenchtown Rock

..and many more.

#26761  by FairTheeWell

Lively Up Yourself! Great story about this song. Summer 03 at the Vanhoy Campgrounds, Harmony NC Last Smilefest at this location.

A band by the name Barefoot Manner (Raliegh,NC) gathered all the kids and young ones at this festival and sat them down for some time and taught them this song. That afternoon, before Buring Sprear I beleive it was, Barefoot Manner took the main stage with all the little ones and played Lively Up Yourself while the little ones sang their hearts out. Very power stuff!!! One of those moments I'm sure you all know when the power of a song hits you and your like, WOOOOW!

Anyone happen to be there?!?!?!

#26789  by st. stephen

Apat from all the obviou ones...
Trenchtown Rock & This Train

#26815  by LazyLightnin

so much trouble in the world

and every other song. i definetly like the older recordings with just "the Wailers". you can find those 3-cd box sets for like $15 at best buy and places like that.

#26843  by TheDude

High Tide or Low Tide and Rainbow Country are always great..

#26871  by Long Distance Runner

There's not a bad one. Some of my favorites are Trenchtown Rock, No Woman No Cry, Positive Vibration,Get Up Stand Up, and Roots Rock Reggae.

#26901  by gumbo

If you like marley and tosh then check out a French man named Serge Gainsbourg. Peter and rita (not %100 for sure on rita) did some recordings with him and I must say they are the shit. Its all in french too, so its like another instrument.

#26902  by LazyLightnin

Toots and the Maytals also. Toots Hibbert actually coined the term "reggae" from a song he did the early 60's called "Do the reggae". Ive seen Toots 5 times. I got to shake my bones on stage with him at a show. I hugged him like 4 times and shook his hand a few also. my 4 minutes of fame 8)

#26929  by big_river_bum

anyone enjoy king tubby or any other dub? you can find some good cd's with king tubby, lee 'scratch' perry, and others where they all contribute to the songs. "dub side of the moon" is cool as well. they turn pink floyd's dsofm into something unique with rasta flavor

#26957  by d-v-s

A couple of favs:

Lively up yourself (live from Babylon by Bus has some great guitar work on this song)
guava jelly / this train

Can anyone recommend any live Marley? I have Babylon by Bus and it's real solid. Anything else out there that compares?

#27003  by krzykat

mutant_dan wrote:I was really into Marley when he first came on the scene. His music was magical, new and refreshing. Marley inspired me to go see Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer (which make up the three original Wailers). Marley then became somewhat of a staple for the masses and too mainstream for my tastes.

Bunny never really did it for me.

Tosh seemed to be connected at a different level that for some reason really spoke to me. If you love Bob and have never checked out Tosh, do yourself a favor and give him a listen..

Stop that Train and get up stand up are tosh songs most people think that Bob wrote them, especially get up stand up

#27011  by Candyman421

bob rules, really one of the first artists that got me listenin to good music, my favorite bob songs are time will tell, mellow mood, kaya, lively up yourself, and of course redemption song

#27068  by guilhermeful dead

Kinky Reggae

Midnight Ravers

Slave Driver