did Cornell '77 really happen

yes
87%
no
13%
 #26252  by krzykat

Jack Herer posted this on myspace. I have heard this theory before and people even went so far as to list the shows that the songs came from. what do you think?

There's been a lot of talk lately about the legendary fake show on 5/8/77. I've kept my silence on the subject for 22 years ... now it's finally time to come clean on the whole subject.

The whole idea began back in late 1969/early 1970. The Department of Defense and the CIA were very disappointed by the way the Vietnam War was progressing. Not only were we losing but, more importantly, the US public did not approve of the war and, worse yet, weren't believing everything the military said about what was happening. This was an unprecidented event. Every other recent war was viewed positively by the public ... or at least with apathy in the case of Korea. Something had to be done. They decided to take a page from the Soviets and experiment with mind control.

Together with Disney and a fledgling computer company called Microsoft, they set out to prove that brainwashing could really work on the very people who opposed them: the hippies.

It isn't widely known but Cornell was actually the second test of these mind control procedures. The first occurred in mid-1975 and was a dismal failure. 2 major mistakes were made. First, they picked the one time that the Dead were not touring. This created all sorts of problems with the subject audience. The more serious mistake was in not updating the criteria of the experiment. Due to typical government inefficiency, they used the 1969 version of the Dead that was playing when the program was conceived. The sudden appearance of Pigpen, who had died 2 years earlier, litterally blew the minds of those in attendance. 6 months were spent erasing all traces of the "show" and carefully rebuilding as much of their minds as possible.
The subjects were eventually released and most of them became evangelists, their only lingering memory of the whole experiment being an unshakeable belief that they'd witnessed a true miracle.

Unfortunatly, no tapes have been found from this first experiment. That's a real shame because the version of Dark Star->St Stephen->Eleven->Lovelight used was supposedly the best ever. After a few drinks, the original scientists still speak in awe about the music heard that day.

By Nov 1977, everyone was ready for the second test. This time, they learned from their mistakes. A small group of college students (including yours truely) were hired to attend shows from 1976 through 1977. Our job was to collect tapes of the Dead's performances, select which tunes to use, and to help identify subjects for the upcomming experiment. The location and date were chosen with equal care. It was a off-day during the tour and the location close enough to the real concerts to be believed. Of more importance was the late snowfall that day. That unusual and easily confirmed event provided the glue that would hold the implanted memories together. Even now 22 years later, people "remembering" that concert use almostidentical words to discribe leaving the show.

Overall, the experiment was a great success. Of course, some people were given slightly different memories. Some, like Teddy Goodbear, "remember" taping the show and were even provided "Audience" tapes to further cement the hoax. Still others remember getting "horribly smashed" up front. None of this actually occured.

A week after the "concert" experiment, a 2nd test was done on the town of Cornell itself. In order to perfect this hoax, the town itself must also be convinced that the concert took place. Disney had acquired owner- ship of all the local TV and radio stations through dummy corporations. Using special chips developed by Microsoft, they played sublimbminal messages to every man, woman and child in a 100 mile radius of Barton Hall. For the most part, this programming still holds today although some
people did prove resistant to the message.

As far as the source of the music, for the most part the list posted by "brew ziggins" is correct. The only mystery remaining is the Scarlet-> Fire. That was actually performed by the Dead specifically for this experiment. Since Jerry worked for the CIA, it was easy to convince him and the rest of the band to go along. Plus he liked the idea of "pranking" a large group of people like this. The fabled 2/6/77 "take a step back" rehearsal tape is
also from material taped for these experiments.

The soundboard tapes in circulation were leaked by Betty O'Connell who edited the orginal tapes. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but they were leaked at about the same time as the tapes recorded by Betty Cantor were found. In any event, they became part of the so-called "Betty Boards". Leaking these tapes also provided the first cracks in the hoax to appear since the tapes were distributed to people who were not in the experiment and who knew that no show was performed that day. It was necessary to obtain their silence through blackmail, bribery and in extreme cases, mind control itself. That's also how this "show" came to be listed in all the popular Dead show guides like DeadBase.

So what's happened to these mind control techniques used in this experiment? I got out of the program in 1978 but it's obvious that they are still being used today. Microsoft has used this power to become one of the biggest, most influencial companies in history. They sure didn't become that big by providing quality products. It was used to shape public reation to the Gulf War. It's also clear that George Bush never understood the full power of these methods. After the Gulf War, the technology was leaked to a young governer who used them to be sucessfully elected to 2 terms as president and remain in power dispite facing numerous charges that should have seen him removed from office or even thrown in prision. There are also indications that this technology might explain the otherwise unbelievable popularity
of rap music.

That's the whole story. I'll probably end up in jail (or worse) for revealing this but it feels good to finally get the whole thing off my chest.

DID ANYBODY attend this show? Can anybody confirm or deny the authenticy of this information? If this has been discussed previously, forgive me.

Peace

#26258  by kevo

Bull

Shit.

#26260  by IamDocWatson

its obvious jack was just really stoned or is or always is im sure he is baked right now...right now meaning at any moment anyone may read this posts for the rest of jacks life soooo... :D

#26276  by ker1227

why would anyone believe that???

#26284  by Shaggy

I can smell something:

Is it dog.., or maybe cat... Oh no, it's BULLshit!!
 #26292  by tigerstrat

krzykat wrote:Jack Herer posted this on myspace.
Have you ever heard of creative sarcasm? Jack is having a bit of fun with paranoid sensationalist Deadhead weirdos who won't shut up about the slightly-better-than-average show that occurred on 5-8-77.
krzykat wrote:DID ANYBODY attend this show?
Yes, I know at least a couple of people that were there, and yes they had a good time. Or at least claimed to... maybe THEY were federal agents too! It's all a very elaborate ruse...

What's the big deal about this show anyway? What about it rates having a ridiculous paranoid mythology spring up around it? Sure it's a totally awesome Dew, a better than average (for the late 70's) Stephen and a damn nice Estimated. The Dancin is fairly sloppy and the grossly overrated Scarlet>Fire (except for the first 15 seconds) is pretty unremarkable. Expand your collections, people!

#26294  by hobo

seriously, this hobo was there, the show rocked, but so did every show in May of 1977. No biggie, except for some amazing after parties in and around Ithaca with good friends I hadn't seen in a while...oh, and way to call it the "town of Cornell"...credibility? Anyway, this guy obviously has too much time on his hands. Jerry teaming up with the CIA is literally the last thing I could imagine happening either way...

#26297  by Rev_Roach

gotta love the line about Microsoft, a 2 year old SOFTWARE company making tiny little mind control chips.

5-8-77 is a good show just like 5-7 and 5-9. gotta say it is one hell of a Row Jimmy

#26301  by zoppenheimer

God, it just gets wierder and wierder.

#26319  by krzykat

zoppenheimer wrote:God, it just gets wierder and wierder.
but it still hasn't gotten wierd enough for me!

#26326  by whatrix

Ya know....
Sometimes I saw some odd types at shows... not particularly cops...but observers.

I recall specifically at Irvine Meadows Easter Weekend shows ('85,'86, or '87..?) Being awake earlier in the day and rolling a Drum cigarette and a couple of of guys in the typical "unmarked car" pausing and giving me the stink eye.. I produced the Drum bag and they seemed satisfied and split. I recall some sort of light tan "uniforms" no badges etc...

That got me to thinking...I mean if the Feds wanted to run a mass group mind control experiment with a bunch of drugged of clowns the Dead Heads fit the bill. Just keep them corralled and supply some doses and see what happens.

C'mon didn't it ever occur to you that the powers that be were kinda letting us get away with more than the folks at a
Lynrd Skynnrd concert? Ya think it was just because we were so cute and cleaver and had peace signs and all???

Most of the larger shows I went to from Oregon to San Diego from say '79- '90 which was when the scene started to explode IMO had a real fenced in atmosphere to them. No way could one get away with what we did at ANY other R&R concert at the same venues...

I'd love to continue this in a serious fashion elsewhere. I'm convinced at some level,(not nessasarly for bad motives) for what ever result or reasons, Big Bro. Was keeping his eye on us. Most likely the results came to nothing serious but WE were guinea pigs on some level I'm sure...

Think....

W!

#26380  by hobo

dude, the government DID run mind control experiments, thats well documented. Among the substances used were of course, LSDm, among other things. We all know about that, check out some federal government archives, read a historical paper or two. The goverment didn't need a bunch of crazy hippies to run tests, they had much more controlled ways of getting the info they wanted to get. And believe me, people got busted at shows, i'm just glad the feds realize there's more danger in this world and better things to do with their time than crack down hard on a freakin' music festival.

#26382  by kevo

I want to know who voted "no" and if they were serious :?