Chat about Equipment Info
 #4702  by tigerstrat

Anyone know for sure what model Takamine Jerry played for the 1980 sets or the cutaway model he played in his late 80's JGAB shows (and early 90's G/G)?

I suspect the Tak from 1980-86 is the same model that Martin sued them over.

#10373  by acidrain30005

I'm not sure what model it is, but if you go to www.dozin.com, click THE GUITARS, go to JERRYS, and then go to Jerry's electric guitar history, and it'll say what model at the bottom. I don't think there's a pic of it though, so you gotta look carefully.

#10382  by hesgone95

I thought he played a Martin for most of the Garcia Grisman stuff? Am I way off?

#10385  by tigerstrat

dozin's page is down at the moment and I am fairly sure it didn't mention Jerry's acoustics specifically. I helped compile some of the info on there. Blair has probably tracked the Tak info down somewhere and has it in the book. I had actually posed the question here on his behalf...

#10387  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

I know that most of the Garcia Grisman stuff Jerry used his mint condition vintage Gibson Super 400 which was one of his prized possessions I believe he had said a few times. If you have about 25-30K you can grab one on Ebay.

#10399  by tigerstrat

Actually, for live G&G shows, Jerry was using a cutaway Takamine, at least when I saw them twice at the Warfield in December of 1991. I am sure that for several of the album recordings he indeed used the Super 400 as well as a Martin dreadnought...

#10536  by Dozin

Tom, you should let me know when a link is down! The Takamine in 1980 was F 360s. It's been a long time since I seen one with electronics in it. The 90's it was the 360sc.

He was also using a Alvarez DY-98 for the Grisman shows

Chris

#10544  by tigerstrat

Hey Dozin, I guess I just figured you were rearranging stuff. fwiw the main Guitars link off the Home page is down right now. and I see that the Bobby guitars page which seemed to have been down for ages is now up!

lso the cherry red Gibson was an ES-345 (split paralellogram inlay, Varitone rotary switch)and is seen in photos from '66-'72 (between flirtations with a Rick, a Tele, a Guild, a black Paul, and Jerry's apparent hand-me-down TV Yellow Les Paul Special) ... the 'Burst was the ES-335(dot neck) and played from late 73 thru the end of 74...

Thanks for the Tak info... you didn't happen to get that out of Blair's book? Still waitin on mine...

#10545  by Dozin

Thanks for the guitar link down heads up. Just fixed that too. I switched servers and I uploaded the site. Thought everything was working, guess not.

I just checked the book and he said it was a F 360. The F 360 has a black neck and the F 360s has the white finger board trim. Also Jerry had a 2 knob pickup system in his (I'm almost positive of) Have to watch Dead Ahead again. I'm not sure if that was put in after the fact.

#26009  by KCJones

Guess I'll try and revive this discussion. Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Jerry's acoustic guitar tone on Reckoning (Dead Set 1981) is just horrible. He has the action so low that the constant loud string buzzing just kills everything. Granted, he probably purposely lowered the action because he had to switch over to electric. But man, as a guitarist it's hard to listen to that album without noticing.
Last edited by KCJones on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

#26010  by Banjomike0319

I thought Jerry used that Alverez cutaway for most of the garcia/grisman stuff.

In Grateful Dawg thats all I saw. I may be wrong but.....

#26018  by mutant_dan

Jerry's action on his acoustic and electric were set high.

In my opinion, his acoustic sound suffered when he stopped using the mic'd Martin and switched to the acoustic guitars with the internal pickups. I think your hearing a combination of the death grip Jerry used and the built in acoustic pickup.

#26044  by b weird

My question is, what did Martin sue Jerry/The Dead for?

#26045  by tigerstrat

b weird wrote:My question is, what did Martin sue Jerry/The Dead for?
No, they didn't sue Jerry or the Dead.

The story had Martin Guitars supposedly suing (or threatening to do so) Takamine Guitars over patent for a Tak model that seemed like too close of a knock-off of a Martin model.