#2413  by Kenny

red
Last edited by Kenny on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#2417  by Shaggy

Great stuff, Kenny.

I just wanted to say that I have been reading all this, what you've gone through on here for a long time, even before I joined.

I think what you've done is wonderful and it has helped me greatly. Thanks....

#2461  by abspatz

hey kenny, i also wanted to throw you a thanks for all the info you're putting out here. i've been following it for a few months and have gotten alot out of it. these beginning techniques are really helping out. i appreciate it!! :cool:

#2495  by Shaggy

Thanks for the advice, Kenny. I will take that approach and try it out.

I'm working on it. In-between not having enough time and not using time wisely and working shifts in the job i am bored to hell with...well you know how all that goes!!

#2504  by whitelacestrange

i'm not very good at pushing myself, i guess im just very unmotavated, but when it comes to guitar, i can play for hours without being pushed, its just something i do for enjoyment, and i think im getting really good, but thats not the point. the only thing i beleive people must try to accomplish is learning and useing scales, mixing a C myxolydian with an A blues, or going from a diminished scale to a minor scale, i don't know, just practice changing any scales and playing them in diffrent ways, in this way, you will psychologically learn the fret board and all of the sudden when your playing a melody you'l be able to mix in all this cool stuff for effect. i'd say the #1 way to practice is using scales, if you here jerry, all he does in jams is improvize using scales, going up and down them, each time altering them alittle. thats how mozart made his music. i agree with kenny, but i beleive instead of only playin a melody, you should practice scales and then improvise with them using the melody as the root. remember, practice makes perfect.
 #2513  by whitelacestrange

i find it simpler to memorize scales first, and see the differences, hear the differnt pitches expressed and compare them. by doing this, your training your ear as well as memorizing the fret board, so why not just take the time to learn the scales first instead of playin something you heard on tv? if you can tell the differnce between a major, minor, and diminished scale, you can move them, and mix them in. jerry for example, uses a diminished scale in slipknot, repeatingly ging up and down it at the end of slipknot, just kind of mixing it in for effect. its common sense that all solo's are rooted in scales and chord triads. extracting melodies from your head works, but you have to improvize on them, im not saying just mixing 2 scales together woud create a melody, i agree you have to come up with one on your own.

as for the pentatonic, theirs really only a 2 note differnce between it and the blues,
i was taught the blues scale, and its become a habit of adding in those 2 extra flats on the A and G string.

i must say, your probrobly more skilled than i am, im only 16, and have only being playing alittle over 3 years, and i dont want to give anyone wrong advive, but, thats how i usually practice.

p.s - if your the guy that makes the tabs on this site, awsome job, and i have a request, can you get the tabs for sage $ spirit and blues for allah?i love those songs but their just not on here, also a few more tabs are missig, including mindbener, cant come down and king bee, though those songs arent very difficult to figure out.

if you dont make the tabs, thanks anyway, im just desperate for those songs, especially sage & spirit.

#2515  by whitelacestrange

well, thats pretty cool. i think its safe to say im not as musically versital nor as experienced as you, but i did play trumpet and the bass before i learned guitar. and still play them, mostly at school. guitar has just become something i play at home and with friends for my own enjoyment, because i mostly listen to rock music, and all the music of jerry garcia. i have a basic understanding of scales, but hopefully i'll improve.

i don't mean to use anyone on this site in that way, but i do appreciate their contributions to the guitar community. and i do very much appreciate them, sites like rukind are an important sharing of knowledge.

#2532  by LooksLikeRain

you can play a whole bunch of notes and make it sound good and that means your a good guitar player. or you can play one note at the perfect time and that means your a good musician.