#20362  by gratephulphish123

jahozer wrote: I may incur some wrath, but Stella Blue never did much for me.
WRATH :evil:

#20374  by nicolasalk

gratephulphish123 wrote:

#20377  by strumminsix

nicolasalk wrote:
gratephulphish123 wrote:
No wrath here unless you don't keep a stall between us in the bathroom. We'll be the only 2 in there so there's no excuse for you peeing right next to me!!!

HA!! :lol:

#20407  by bodiddley

:x

I will bestow my wrath upon you. Blasphemy you heretic!

#20410  by Tom Banjo

personally i love all those songs. never got to see any of them live unfortunately (or any GD song for that matter) but if i had to take a piss i would definitley wait for we can run or samba in the rain or something like that. i love the character and emotion in jerry's voice when he sings all of those tunes. the climax to china doll is probably one of the most powerful 30 seconds in all of music, at least in my opinion.

#23946  by frankielee

DON'T SHOOT!...After about the 50th sugaree... between the dead doing it and jerry;s numerous bands doing it...i grew weary of it...Just started diggin' it again over the last few listens...studio version of china doll is a masterpiece!
 #23969  by Tennesse

How could anyone be down on Loser?One of Jerry's great solos!The solo is like his signature...The squealing harmonics...Everyone can hum the solo...its brilliant...And Stella?Ripping solo W/the "Dust off these rusty strings"vocals!But what do I know- I like "100,00 tons of Steel" song.....

#23996  by Pigpen

frankielee wrote:DON'T SHOOT!...After about the 50th sugaree... between the dead doing it and jerry;s numerous bands doing it...i grew weary of it...Just started diggin' it again over the last few listens...studio version of china doll is a masterpiece!
I completely agree on the Sugaree thing. After a while its just like... :? . Ive been on a '76 or so binge so im kinda biased.

#24022  by G'Dad

Prefer Loser and China Doll to Wharf Rat but do find with China Doll that while I love the version on Reckoning which I find very atmospheric I have not found an electric version that comes anywhere near it.

As for Stella Blue I love the lyric and always get goose bumps when I here the guitar work on the Dozin At The Kinck CD.
 #24073  by kenneybonz

it's a lot of fun, and challenging cause of all the nuances..
and for soulful i like loser and wharf rat and BERTHA!!!
and china doll and stella blue for the leads and for the feel of there being a spirit with it..

last night i heard, from dead net tapers trove, a shakedown ,bertha, mr fantasy ( brent) i could not beleive.. brent opens with the lyrics into a bertha jam.. how about that????
anyone else listen to that? :smile:
anyone else listen to tapers trove on dead.net??? :cool:

#25147  by Django

I guess I didn't drink much beer at Dead shows. Or maybe I'm housebroken, but I could usually last until the end. I didn't like to miss a thing. I agree with you Doc.

#25160  by Henry

Wharf Rat and Loser for me are among the true classics. The first is really a song with a message, the second is one of those that evoke those images of old Americana, one of the things I love most about the Dead. If I ever start my own GD tribute band, those two will definitely have to be included. Both songs started life in the period which I consider my favorite. Loser could be done quite nicely as an acoustic version also.
China Doll, on the other hand, I've always found it a bit boring to listen to, but that's just my taste.