#4  by cliff

I've been trying to figure this out for a while and it seems that everywhere i look i come up with a different answer: The William Tell part of this song in this tab --> is it part of The Eleven, a song of it's own, something that isn't even considered part of anything, or maybe even part of St. Stephen at certain points in Dead history? .... anybody have any comments or solutions to this?

peace,
cliff
 #8  by shmooi

This is from the Grateful Dead Lyric and Song Finder web site:
"this section [William Tell] was omitted from the version on "Aoxomoxoa" and dropped by the Dead in versions after 1969. It was only played when "Saint Stephen" segued into The Eleven. Because of this, some have questioned whether it should really be seen as part of "The Eleven" instead of part of "Saint Stephen". But Robert Hunter includes these words under "Saint Stephen" in the lyrics in his book "Box Of Rain". Both Ratdog and The Dead began playing this section in 2003 - with The Dead's versions not always segueing into "The Eleven"."

Hope this helps.

-Sam
 #46  by the11

the william tell intro is fantastic, should have done it more....... love to play it.......

#160  by wishfullthinking

i love the william tell bridge, so psyched to hear it in hartford last summer, unfortunatly they went into playin instead of the elven :( oh well. anyway anyone heard keller's cover of the eleven? he does the william tell bridge and its juist so good, any fan of the bridge should check it out they have a show where he does it up on archive.org
 #799  by ShakedownStreetS4

I dont think its part of st. stephen, but they are always played into each other. The eleven is probably one of my favorite grateful dead songs. Here is my favorite recording in GRATEFUL DEAD HISTORY:

2-14-70
Dark Star(FABULOUS)
St. Steven>The eleven>lovelight(22 minutes of heaven)

Peace 8)
Daniel

#1295  by saint421

try listening to 4/21/69, The Ark in Boston.....2nd set,
Foxy Lady Jam, Dark Star>St. Stephen>11>Lovelight Encore: Viola Lee......that set kicks A$$

#2491  by Isaacsmonkeywrench

okay maybe i'm a complete noob, but this "william tell" section, is this the part at the end of st stephen/beginning of 11 that goes

"High green chilly winds and windy vines in loops around the
twining shafts of lavender, they're crawling to the sun..."

???

#2492  by ebick

Correct. "The Eleven" actually starts just after

"And/or it may require a change that hasn't come before"

and you can hear a definate change in the rythym.