#2315  by Guest

New to the forum, just wanted to say hello and thank all for rukind.com. Used it on many an occasion and highly recommended it to others. So, that being said, anyone know why Ryan Adams bagged out of the Phil shows other than the "official" explanation??

#2357  by jjbankhead

i agree if i had the opportunity to be invited to play with Phil n Friends i would care less if he wanted to include any of my material, if so i would be honored but for all i care we could do dead and early rock covers all night..... :cool:

BTW I was actually surprised, i checked some of ryan Adams music out at the local library and i wasn't utterly impressed... Mybe he has a great live act, but i wasn't all that taken by the studio stuff.

I like the John Mayer collab, i think mayer is a damn good guitarist and his song "daughters" about brings a tear to my eye, well i am a daddy. He is a great pop song writer and the first live stuff i saw of his was when he did the VH1 collab with Simon. I had never really paid any attention to him then saw that and trhought "i need to listen to more of this guy's music"

#2369  by Shaggy

Hello. While I am here, too, let me say a big thanks to this site and it's creator for sharing such wonderful info and making it such a wonderful and fun place to visit and learn from.

#2374  by amyjared

BTW I was actually surprised, i checked some of ryan Adams music out at the local library and i wasn't utterly impressed...
He can be hit or miss on some stuff, but check out his sound on Cold Roses. Some of the songs sound like early Jefferson Airplane! He has acknowledged being a huge deadhead.

As for him being temperamental, what about Phil?!?

I once saw Zappa stop his band in the middle of a song, point out a fan, have him ejected from the show and then pick up right where he left off. Now, he was a genius and I'm not saying Ryan is anywhere near that, but it's not always easy having to put up with annoying fans. I hope that I get to see Ryan play with Phil and Friends at some point.
Oh, and yes, John Mayer kicks ass!

#2433  by Guest

Wow, thanks for the long, quite elegant and very true response. I totally agree 100% with just about everything you said. Trouble is, what if that's NOT the reason Ryan Adams isn't playing with Phil?

#2437  by ebick

I know a few individuals that would support the residue theory.

#2446  by Guest

So getting back to the original subject and my question and answering some of yours:

If Ryan left Phil because he wasn't getting equal shares, he's a complete fool. If it was another reason, I would be curious to find out what it is.

Now, Why is Jimmy Herring out??

#2447  by Lesh Philling

Herring's website states he is on a much needed hiatus.

They've been awesome without him.

#2452  by Guest

Thank for taking the time to answer my question.
I appreciate your well thought out response.
I have one question though, what if your wrong?
What if it's some other reason?

#2459  by ebick

Then go with 42.

#2465  by amyjared

Thank for taking the time to answer my question.
I appreciate your well thought out response.
I have one question though, what if your wrong?
What if it's some other reason?
Ah, it's so nice to see imitators. I, Jared, the author of the original question and the one to answer the long soliloquy with the simple "Ah, but what if you're wrong?" did not, repeat, DID NOT write the above response. I would not use 'your' for you are. Sorry. I teach school and take such grammatical matters seriously. But I do like Ed's response!!

According to Alan Paul, an editor at Guitar World Magazine, and a friend of Herring's, there's more to it than the official response. He hinted that Phil might not be so easy to get along with as one might surmise.... didn't Kimock get booted, too? I love Phil as much as the next guy, but it seems he's going through some musicians. Something to think about...-Jared

PS. Thanks again for a great website!!