#11054  by qiuniu

Hey, thought I'd get some cross thread action for those that might have not have seen this:
qiuniu wrote:
phpbb wrote:funny you should ask, one of our members (qiuniu) wanted to contribute to the site after seeing the hard work ed, bill and strummin did with the videos. He put together a looped recording of Eyes of The World which can be downloaded here:

http://audio.rukind.org/samples/Eyes_of ... t1ru._.wav
Thanks to the admin here for posting this for me!

Been trying to learn how to play lead like Jerry (of course) and have found these loops incredible helpful. What I do is find parts of songs where Jer is either screwing with his settings or is trying to toss the ball Pig or someone and the rest of the band is playing, cut out that part and edit it and try to make it as seemless as possible. This Eyes loop that I cut out is actually 1/2 length on the actual show. The aforementioned link is from one of my favorite shows, and one of my favorite Eyes.

Basically all I do is get this loop going and turn it up, match my guitar levels appropriately and start playing through E Ionian:

Which I found here:

http://jguitar.com/scale?root=E&scale=I ... tes=sharps

If anyone has any questions, or more explanation or would be interested in me posting more loops please feel free to ask!
 #21723  by kenneybonz

looking at it, do yo go to say the e string on 12th fret and work all the way up to the other e?
do you then just play the scale like it goes normally, using sharps and stuff.
i guess i'm asking a dumb question but what do you do with that thing? tom

#21726  by ronster

For practing the scale play the notes from frets 0-4 and go from low E up to high E then back down. Do the same for the next higher position (frets 4-7) and so on up the fret board.

For playing with Eyes, the lead is mostly on the 8-14 frets. Just set the loop going and play the highlighted notes in the 8-14 frets and try to make something sound good. You can try to copy Jerry from a show or just make up your own thing. You will find that certain notes sound better with certain chords and not so good with others.

I find playing leads are a combination of the following:
Learning the melody of a song
Playing notes in the scale that fit the chord being played
Adding chops or licks that just sound good in any tune, over time you will build a library of these little runs from songs that you have played.
Hope this helps.

#21730  by st. stephen

how do you actually make it a loop? I'm using real player and i can make it play te piece over and over but threre's allways a little pause between it...
any help?

#21733  by qiuniu

I use a program called Sound Forge

In that program you can repeat your sample or just copy and paste the sample over and over again.

I usually try to make them about 6 minutes long.
 #21747  by kenneybonz

when you are referring to a loup recording, what are y'all referring too? and if it is a guitar recording of practicing the scale, how DO you do that with real player?
i'll bet i am reading that wrong

#21758  by st. stephen

@kenneybonz, yeah you are reading that wrong, the loop is a piece taken out of eyes of the world, so you download it and then you can play over it with the guitar.....

with sound forge that works great thanks^^

#21775  by ronster

when you are referring to a loup recording, what are y'all referring too? and if it is a guitar recording of practicing the scale, how DO you do that with real player?
I use winamp. Assuming Real Player is the same, go into the settings or options and find one that allows for replay. The track is a 20 second part of the entire band playing the backing part to eyes. Play it and it should repeat over and over (thus a loop). Play leads using the scale shown while the track is playing over and over. BTW, real player sucks and is not a good program to have on your computer as it can slow down a machine. Winamp is much better and can be downloaded at no cost.
 #21783  by kenneybonz

my pod (line 6) allows me to clip it and play it through my amp in half time or regular, and it's been helping me a whole lot.. i just read that post wrong and , thanks.. cause of this stuff and prcatice it is really comin together..tk :smile:

#23189  by dahmbomb

check out High Country Guitar (google it) He has some great loops from Grateful dead, Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, Phish, Led Zep, and others.

The guy who owns the site is the lead guitarist for Phix - the DSO of Phish so to speak. He is amazing.

#23206  by shakedown_04092

FYI - Phix is done

#23212  by dahmbomb

I know, but the site I mentioned is still up.

#23216  by blombie

Help!

When i click on the link the eye's plays using quick time player. I don't see how i can make the play contiuous using that. I downloaded winamp but don't see how to open the eyes link using it.
Thanks for any help. :-?