#22550  by qiuniu

So maybe this has already been covered somewhere (can you link if it has) so sorry but anyone know how to reproduce Jerry's sound with with all the modern wonderments of effects processors?

I really want that clean '69 sound, as well as what ever he did to change it in '71 as well as that cool/annoying '77 deal, like with Dancin' from that era.

I usually try screwing around with compression settings and reverb and stuff but never get any closer than where I am to getting any of those sounds. I've now gotten fustrated again and have tried to scour the web but failed yet again for info but failed again.

Thanks in advance!

#22552  by strumminsix

Dude, you should buy the GD Gearbook. It gives some great insite into the rigs used over time.

Also check out dozin's site: http://dozin.com

What do you have? What do you want?

I'd dump the compressor for sure.

I'd also advocate against much reverb.

#22558  by CaptainTrips

Alot of Jerry's tone came from custom guitars and the way they were wired. And his fingers. But when I want to sound like Jerry I just play clean with a neck pickup and I try to soften my tone up with my blues driver, low distortion, high level and tone control about 3/4 of the way to the left, looking at the unit head-on.

#22569  by Banjomike0319

Yeah man, alot of jerry's sound was from jerry. I mean yes of course his customer guitar and crazy set up of pedals and rig did it to. But Jerry played so clean and sharp because thats how he played, its his sound.

I advise to you is to find your sound, if jerry's sound is what you wanna sound like, go off of it. Get a new sound, with some of jerry's in it also.

#22570  by tigerstrat

Strummin's right, the compressor will only take you in th wrong direction. You want maximum dynamic aliveness, not squashed tone gruel.

But DO use a healthy dose of spring reverb, but sh##-can the digital simulation.

AS importantly, turn your amp treble UP (WAY up, just trust me), the amp bass control WAY DOWN, and (and this is the key here) your guitar tone control DOWN. Find the sweet spot with the guitar tone pot.

#22584  by Henry

I believe Jerry's rig was very basic in '69. Get an SG, a Fender amp from the early Silverface era and maybe a wah and you're halfway there. The rest is in your hands and in your mind.

#22589  by gratephulphish123

i recently perfected treys tone and i played with it for a while. but it was too weird and i didnt like it. the tone wasnt mine, it felt like i was trying to make myself trey. my tone still has alot of compression and is really fat and bass heavy but i altered a bunch of settings to sound like I wanted them to and i'm alot happier with it now

#22602  by qiuniu

strumminsix wrote:Dude, you should buy the GD Gearbook. It gives some great insite into the rigs used over time.
Thanks for the advice, I work in a book store and bought it right away. Have read parts but didn't see anything in there that told me how to reproduce the sound using today's tech.
Also check out dozin's site: http://dozin.com
I love that site and I've seen this before:

But I don't really know what I'm looking at and I don't have the money or time to do any of it, but thanks.
What do you have?
I have a Zoom effects processor that has 16 different effects each one able to be adjusted with three different switches that have three different settings for each switch. Its one of the 'personal' ones, it goes on your belt that I bought 12 years ago and I also, please don't laugh, have been using Garage Bands settings that I think are robust like for just the AUMatrixReverb Setting alone you can adjust:

dry/wet mix
small/large mix
small size
large size
pre-delay
large delay
small density
large density
large delay range
small hifreq absorpt
largre hifreq absorpt

So its got about 20 effects that all have a lot of ways you can tweak them like above. Now obviously I am a novice when it comes to effects, but it seems like I should be able to at least get closer to Jerry's sound with all this than I am already.
What do you want?

Jerry's clean sound as well as the distortion of '69 as well as how it changed come '71 as well as that cool/annoying '77 deal, like with Dancin' from that era.

I'd dump the compressor for sure.

I'd also advocate against much reverb.
Thanks for that advice and anything forth coming!

Capt.what's a
blues driver
?

I advise to you is to find your sound, if jerry's sound is what you wanna sound like, go off of it. Get a new sound, with some of jerry's in it also.
Thanks Mike that is just what I am doing!
But DO use a healthy dose of spring reverb, but sh##-can the digital simulation.

Spring Reverb what's that?

Wish I could can the digital sim if you say so, but like most family members I don't have the money to go blow on effects boxes especially knowing as little as I do.
AS importantly, turn your amp treble UP (WAY up, just trust me), the amp bass control WAY DOWN, and (and this is the key here) your guitar tone control DOWN. Find the sweet spot with the guitar tone pot.
Thanks a lot for this, I'm going to go try it tonight!
I believe Jerry's rig was very basic in '69. Get an SG, a Fender amp from the early Silverface era and maybe a wah and you're halfway there. The rest is in your hands and in your mind.

Again the money issue, can't just go spring for an SG or the PRS I want let alone the amp I want, that's why I am trying to do the best I can with what I have.

I'm already half way there with in my mind and hands, I play for a couple of hours every night.
i recently perfected treys tone and i played with it for a while. but it was too weird and i didnt like it. the tone wasnt mine, it felt like i was trying to make myself trey. my tone still has alot of compression and is really fat and bass heavy but i altered a bunch of settings to sound like I wanted them to and i'm alot happier with it now
Thanks, that's what I'm trying to get to!

Thanks to everyone for chiming in and thanks for any more help! You guys (and this place) ROCK!

#22607  by strumminsix

qiuniu,
What type of amp do you have?

The gearbook talks about the Dead's gear and really the boys didn't change much more or less they just added to what they had or maybe swapped out for something newer. Jerry, in particular, played with a very similar rig for 15 years!

My advice to you is to start slowly and add on from there.

First dial in a sweet clean tone with some reverb.

Then with the zoom pedal add in some fx:
Wah
Envelope
Phaser
Overdrive

You should be able to cop a Jerry-esque tone.

#22610  by caspersvapors

tigerstrat wrote:Strummin's right, the compressor will only take you in th wrong direction. You want maximum dynamic aliveness, not squashed tone gruel.

I always wonder wtf to do with my amp tone controls, I'll try this out just for kicks...Im using a strat though and sometimes too much treble just fucking stings the ears

#22616  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

I agree with Tiger on that treble up call. What sounds very biting to you will sound much sweeter to the crowd. And you need that extra treble to cut through the mix. I imagine if you stood next to Jerry's amp on stage the bite would just kill your ears but using the tone control gives you a wider range of dynamics when the treble on the amp is way up. If it isn't, you have little high end headroom coming from your amp, leaving you with the ability to dial only muddiness.

My two cents in all of this is on the guitar side. Get used to playing with high action and 10's for strings at least. Also use a thick pick. Those things are crucial for Jerry tone.

#22617  by CaptainTrips

this is what I was talking about

#22654  by LazyLightnin

check for used fender amps on craigslist for your appropraite area.

#22673  by qiuniu

strumminsix wrote:qiuniu,
What type of amp do you have?
I gots a Peavey TKO 115 that I got for $30, its loud enough for me. I usually run my ibook through my receiver which is also 400 watts and I real PAs that are huge and get the job done.

Then with the zoom pedal add in some fx:
Wah
Envelope
Phaser
Overdrive

You should be able to cop a Jerry-esque tone.
Gonna try that right now, hopefully I get something going that I like before jammin' tonight!

Thanks again guys, I'll report back...