#21616  by BlobWeird

dre wrote:
I should probably ask if this one is off as well..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DVz3ujPc1Q
Id have to say your vocals are much better here. You dipped in and out of key a couple times but when you really belted out the notes you sang fine. And I think that is only proving everyones point that you gotta put the effort and emotion in. It seems when you got slow and not as forceful you lost the key.

#21618  by dre

BlobWeird wrote:
dre wrote:
I should probably ask if this one is off as well..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DVz3ujPc1Q
Id have to say your vocals are much better here. You dipped in and out of key a couple times but when you really belted out the notes you sang fine. And I think that is only proving everyones point that you gotta put the effort and emotion in. It seems when you got slow and not as forceful you lost the key.
ok yea, glad you checked that out for me.. thanks bro
I really gotta work on vocal consistency especially on quieter or slow parts. Also intonation and making sure I'm in key to start off lol
I catch myself spacing out in the middle of songs sometimes focusing a lot on my guitar work and forgetting that I still need to put effort into the singing stuff ;p

#21654  by dre

I reposted bird song.. There's room for a lot of improvement which will take time but I'm hoping that I'm headed in the right direction. Practicing singing scales seems to help a ton. Also understanding how the movement of your mouth effects pitch. It's tricky stuff.. I'm enjoying the challenge. All of the advice from you guys has been great. thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LHYR0Kryvc

#21657  by BlobWeird

hate to say it but its still a bit off. The "Laugh in the sunshine..." part you have good. Its just the verses when it gets a little quiet. I mean maybe you should try an easier song. Because it seems this song during verses depends on a strong good voice. So to work your chops up try somethin a bit easier. I found Candyman to be a good song to start off with. Maybe Bertha.

#21658  by BlobWeird

Oh and by the way Nice jam. from 4:02 and on I dug it. Maybe you could post a tab of that little lick you repeat there.

#21666  by dre

BlobWeird wrote:hate to say it but its still a bit off. The "Laugh in the sunshine..." part you have good. Its just the verses when it gets a little quiet. I mean maybe you should try an easier song. Because it seems this song during verses depends on a strong good voice. So to work your chops up try somethin a bit easier. I found Candyman to be a good song to start off with. Maybe Bertha.
It is a difficult song because the verses do this little scale climb while you are holding the E on the guitar.. "All I know is something etc.." I actually played the notes on my guitar during the playback to see if I got them right. Got them right on some of them, Some I was slightly off on a couple words. Gonna take a lot of practice singing scales etc..and working on keeping consistency when I sing quieter. If you check out other peoples attempts on youtube they are pretty horrid hehe.

Yea bertha is pretty easy.. I'll mess around with candyman a bit.
Last edited by dre on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

#21669  by dre

BlobWeird wrote:Oh and by the way Nice jam. from 4:02 and on I dug it. Maybe you could post a tab of that little lick you repeat there.
thanks, I'll see about tabbing it out.

#21670  by unclebrando

Hey man-
I want to say that I suffer similarly with the inexperienced singing. What I've been told (and I notice it with you also) is that I am doing this for fun after all, and I should loosen up and enjoy myself. I think it's great that you're making an effort and putting yourself out there, 'cause that's the way we get better. But I would encourage ya to try and be less self-conscious and have more fun.

#21671  by dre

unclebrando wrote:Hey man-
I want to say that I suffer similarly with the inexperienced singing. What I've been told (and I notice it with you also) is that I am doing this for fun after all, and I should loosen up and enjoy myself. I think it's great that you're making an effort and putting yourself out there, 'cause that's the way we get better. But I would encourage ya to try and be less self-conscious and have more fun.
hehe yea, I am doing this strictly for fun and self improvement I'm not in a cover band or anything. I think I definately stiffen up a bit when I hit a record button. Don't wanna mess up :(
but usually do anyway lol
Thanks for the advice, I think I need to take up pot smoking again.. it's been way too long :P

#21680  by dre

lol I think I figured out what my major problem was ..why I keep goin flat and sounds like im not really trying..
I wasn't taking breaths before singing except on the parts like "tell me all that u know" and "laugh in the sunshine"

I didn't really understand what people kept meaning by me holding back but I think that probably has a big part to do with it.. deep breaths just before belting out each verse. this is gonna take some getting used to.. it's a bit tiring and I'm a smoker..

opens up a lot of range and depth for sure.

#22123  by dre

I'm pretty stubborn so I haven't given up on this tune.. I think I've corrected a lot of my pitch problems so far. Still need to work a lot my singing voice and making it smoother and more listenable. Being pitchy is going to be a long battle for me but I'm learning to listen better and it's helping.

anyways here's an updated version of my progress.. it may suck like the other but I'm tryin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTRtKKuO9XQ

#22125  by Built2Last

great guitar work

#22135  by broomhead

:cool:
kudos on putting yourself out there for critique!
That said you have a very nice voice, w/sorta a southern rock growl. A nice deep baritone. However, completely untrained and off key, off tempo and pitch a trifecta of sorts. :-)

Fortunately, I think under all that you have a great voice. Way more than i can say for myself. I suffer from everything you do and dont have a unique sounding voice.

If you can get in key you'll be doing well. BTW.. Guitar sounds fantastic!
jb

#22151  by dre

thanks for the comments and yea I am glad to have my voice.. as far my continual pitch issues I dunno if you saw the one I had up before but I'm hoping I am improving a little on that. When I compared them the other day I noticed a pretty marked difference in offkeyishness hehe. Or at least not singing the whole thing flat anymore hopefully...maybe I still am I dunno lol.

#22166  by deadted

Brokedown and Birdsong are two songs that are difficult to sing and play at the same time. Try some simpler tunes that require a little less guitar thinking in your head to hone your singing.

You obviously have decent pitch because of your guitar playing. Tune your voice to the key that the song is in, so like strum a G chord and then match it with your voice. Might help you getting off on the right foot with the song. Keep rockin!