Chat about Equipment Info
 #11455  by bobbybobbob

Hey all, Ive got a question reguarding neckwarp and different tunings.

I just got a great 1969 Gibson 12-string acoustic guitar, and have been playing it in exclusevely open E tuning. Since the guitar is always in open E, will it effect/bend/warp the neck of the guitar?

Ive been playing all the songs from Blood on the Tracks, Little Martha, and have been making some of my own. Open E is great!

thanks
Last edited by bobbybobbob on Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

#11456  by bobbybobbob

SOme info about the guitar:

#11471  by Jimkkc

I would be a little hesitant about using open E on a twelve string - especially a non-Guild 12 string. Guild 12 strings have dual truss rods in the neck to alleviate the stress on the neck - and thus are a bit more protected from stress and warping from everyday playing. That said, I don't know much about Gibson 12 strings. I think it also depends on string gauge. I use the Guild 11-49's which Guild describes as "light" gauge. I would suggest using a lighter gauge string if you want to tune to Open E.

From the songs you listed, you might consider tuning to open D and capoing at the 2nd fret. (i.e. the songs you list can all be played low on the fret board and don't really call for going too far past the fifth fret).

From your post, it sounds like you are having a blast with the 12 string. I own a Guild F512 and there are days when I don't even know why I own a six string. I keep the Guild tuned to standard D - I love the sound of that tuning. Anyway, good luck and congrats on the new guitar.

#21760  by owmmusic

According to "experts", any 12 string is eventually gonna have those kinds of problems sooner than a 6 string. I don't know how open E would effect this because I don't use open E. I've used a lot of other standard tunings but mostly ones that require the strings to be tuned down. With open E, you're tuning up 3 strings higher than standard. So there could be additional stress beyond what is normal even for a 12 string.