#21505  by CaptainTrips

your guitar playing is very good, and you have a real good tone going on. however your singing sounds amatuer. Its possible that with work your vocals could sound great but you need to S I N G the words not semi speak them. You are out of key, far too low. Listen to Jerry sing that and listen to yourself and you will see. I hope you get better and post some better singing.

#21506  by dre

im a shitty singer.. definately amateur ;)
guitar player first and foremost just started learning to sing a bit. thanks for the feedback

was kinda goin off this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYA16z2- ... ed&search=

jerry's voice is kinda low to my ear in this version almost a whisper in parts shrug

It's possible that I might be slightly tone deaf.. would love to hear what other people think cause for the most part it sounds pretty much in key to me except for certain parts? I do have to play my guitar really loud while recording since my mic is on a headset which sux pretty bad for hearing yourself singing. But that's what I have to work with unfortunately. ah well. ;p

#21508  by BlobWeird

It was alright. Just as he said the singing was a little out of key. Sounds like you were flat by a little the whole time. So try this... If you sing a song next time try to sing it a little sharp. That way itll even out haha.

#21517  by IamDocWatson

or maybe change the key until it sounds right

or go all out out man, u sound like your holding back which is just killing the vocals

alot of peoples vocals are bad because theyre being too timid, like they dont wanna belt it out because theyre uncomfortable singing but if your being that timid your not projecting right and it sounds worse off

#21520  by Billbbill

I like your playing dre, unfortunately for you, you sing like me. :lol:

It's not so much being occasionally out of tune as much as the quality of our voices. When I say quality I mean listenability. Not very soothing to listen to.

Don't get me wrong, if the off key issues are resolved we've got servicable voices. Hell we're singing the dead, not Pavarotti!

Hope that isn't too harsh.
 #21522  by Winterland

Where can you find tips to learn to sing? I have the same issues...Don't know how to use my voice.

#21524  by CaptainTrips

the best way is to sing your scales as you play them, you know; do, ra, mi, ect. it will really help out alot.

#21525  by IamDocWatson

yeah if u take vocal lessons they will give u a bunch of scale exercises...so just apply your ear training to your vocals and barnes and nobles has a bunch of books on singing with basic ideas on "how to sing"

#21542  by dre

thanks for the tips guys.. i'll definately work on it cause it's fun at least. ;)

I spent entirely too much time practicing guitar without singing for years hehe.

#21548  by dre

Billbbill wrote:I like your playing dre, unfortunately for you, you sing like me. :lol:

It's not so much being occasionally out of tune as much as the quality of our voices. When I say quality I mean listenability. Not very soothing to listen to.

Don't get me wrong, if the off key issues are resolved we've got servicable voices. Hell we're singing the dead, not Pavarotti!

Hope that isn't too harsh.
Well that's the thing.. I'm ok with my voice not being soothing etc as long as I'm in key.. at least that's something I can fix and why I was wondering if I'm really off key the whole time or just don't have a voice that is likeable lol. I know I didn't necessesarily like a lot of singers voices at first that eventually grew on me.. garcia's being one of them. same with weir, robert plant, geddy lee, etc.
I definately don't want an american idol type mainstream sounding voice if you know what I mean.

I'll keep working on singing in key.. some songs are definately tougher than others. Intonation seems to be a real struggle for me and I think makes a huge difference in likeability.

I get a bit worried about the not holding back thing and not wanting to be too loud when a song doesn't call for it. Unfortunately when I try to sing softer my voice gets shaky and offkey I believe. Just more to practice on I suppose..

And no not harsh at all.. honesty is much appreciated and helpful. thank you

I should probably ask if this one is off as well..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DVz3ujPc1Q

my voice is naturally a lot lower than jerry's so I might be better off playing his tunes in a lower key.

#21586  by Billbbill

dre wrote:
I get a bit worried about the not holding back thing and not wanting to be too loud when a song doesn't call for it. Unfortunately when I try to sing softer my voice gets shaky and offkey I believe. Just more to practice on I suppose..
What sometimes helps me is breathing out of my nose. When not holding back yet trying to not be vocally overbearing breathe out of your nose. It seems to help me.

Vocally speaking I like BP better.

#21588  by CaptainTrips

I think your voice could be quite listenable with some work. You should look into breathing techniques, vocal scales, a lot of singing practice. It is very hard to do. And just when you are singing, take what you think in your head is in key and try to raise it a little higher, and really enunciate.

#21589  by dre

Yea it's like learning a whole new instrument.. I'm quite certain I can do better just didn't put much effort into it before. focused so much on the guitar which to me seems easier cause when I hit a note on the guitar I know how its gonna sound coming out lol.

I took down bird song till I feel like I've got something decent to put back up. Thanks for the input,It's good to have some unbias critique.