name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #21194  by Henry

Hi everybody, I joined this forum a few days ago after a while of browsing the site for lyrics and chords. I don't know if I can call myself a Deadhead but I probably "should have" been one... I saw the band just once and that was in '81 at the Rockpalast Festival, not just on TV but I was actually there, barely 16 at the time and having started to play guitar about a year and a half before. I was very impressed, even though it probably wasn't their greatest show ever. Over the years, I would drift off into different musical directions, listened to the Dead every so often, got a couple of albums but not much more. In '92-'93 I travelled to San Francisco several times, but at the time I was heavily into John Cipollina and preferred to check out what was left of the scene he used to be involved with (pretty amazing BTW, I even got to sit in with Barry Melton at the Saloon). A while after that I discovered the pedal steel guitar, needless to say I became a big New Riders fan (still am). For several years I played in country bands where nobody understood what I was after and it eventually got so frustrating that I gave up steel and went back to guitar. I'm currently playing with a singer/songwriter kind of guy but getting kind of bored, it's becoming too obvious that we have different tastes and interests. Anyway, a few months ago I re-discovered the Dead and - finally - realized that this is where I really want to be. I know I have a lot of catching up to do, for the moment my favorite period, besides, obviously, Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, is the one right after when they were a five-piece, Skull and Roses, Fillmore shows etc. I think those really rock and I'm dreaming about doing something similar... finding people to put together a decent West Coast style jam band, but it seems very difficult in this part of the world. I feel pretty isolated very often. I just want to play guitar and find people who share my taste in music and points of view...

#21198  by strumminsix

Welcome aboard, Henry! Cool bit of history you've provided.

There is a group out there for European deadheads.
But I can't remember what it is called anymore.

#21207  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Welcome to the mix.

Wish you were in NYC a few years back when I was putting together an alt. country project and couldn't find a pedal steel player I liked. You would have been perfect from what it sounds like.

Good luck with finding kindred spirits in Germany, I would say just gotta poke around.

#21221  by shakedown_04092

That's a pretty cool story, Henry. I hope you find some folks to jam with, man. And who cares if you're late to the party....at least you found your way! :cool:

#21272  by st. stephen

hi henry,
i'm german too, nice to see another person from home on this sie nand we're not even very far away from each other..... 500 km (i'm livin near stuttgart)

I#m playin guitar for about 2 years now, maybe one day when i'm better we can play the dead together..... :smile: :cool:

nice to see you!

#21328  by Henry

Thank you for the nice welcome. You guys are great. Yes I think I should check with the European Deadheads, I think there is a site in Germany also. I really want to have my own GD tribute band someday...
St. Stephen, yes, absolutely! Stuttgart is not so very far from where I live, I've been playing gigs there before. Make sure to get some solid rhythm chops down so you can play Bob and I'll do Jerry's part :smile: