#18424  by IamDocWatson

the top of my acoustic isnt level straight across, i noticed in its reflection being warped so i ran my hand across and sure enough right by the bridge has a small bump/dip in it...its not that bad, if u lay it flat and look across it horizontaly u cant see the lump...but im worried about where this will lead...what should i do?

#18433  by ronster

Play in front of the most people you can and go into your most bad ass solo ever and end by setting your guitar ablaze and smashing it into several hundred pieces or you could take it to someone who knows something about guitars. What kind of guitar and how much is it worth? If it is under 5 bills then you probably will get more satisfaction from the the first idea.

#18464  by IamDocWatson

its an 2000$ gibson songwriter...but i wouldnt smash a 100$ guitar...as long as i can play on the first 3 frets theres no reason to break an instrument

#18485  by ronster

Is the top of the guitar flat and fully connected to the bridge? If so it's not a problem (at least not yet). I would take a nice guitar like that to a luthier and get their advice.

#18490  by mutant_dan

Sounds like you might have a brace problem. If you tap an the top with your knuckles do you hear a rattling noise? A loose brace should rattle a little bit.

If you are the original owner and can prove it with documentation, Gibson should fix it for free. You would have to pay for shipping.

#18760  by jackaroe1276

This might surprise you, but the problem is most likely nothing to do with the bridge, it's that the wood is too dry. Spend $20 on a humidifier to stick in the soundhole religiously anytime you're not playing it. I'm willing to bet that in 3 months it will be gone.

#20788  by Django

Alas mine does also, however it is over 30 years old and it hsn't gotten any worse. That will raise your action a bit, mine is completely acceptable.

#20824  by The Other One

I think you need a humidifier. Although I would go to a pro (contact Gibson first) with that guitar. I just picked this up for my martin. It was a decent deal on ebay and it automatically keeps your case at 45% humidity without you having to fill it or guess how much water to add or worry about leaking.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwhumidity.aspx

Video about it here: http://www.planetwaves.com/Resources/JD ... idipak.wvx

#20841  by wilky

A humidifier is a good idea. Also keep it in its case, not on a stand or wall hanger. And untune your strings when you have it stored. This is what is pulling your top into a bow. There are approx. 180lbs. of pressure pulling up on the bridge on a flattop guitar. If you want it repaired take it in to a gibson certified repairist and see what they say.