#20664  by Candyman421

This story was sent to me by my dad who loves the dead as well im not sure the source, just thought it was a good story,

As soon as the weather gets warm, one thing always pops into my mind - Grateful Dead Spring Tour. God, I miss those days. The Capital Centre was almost always included - if not the opening spot for the tour. If not Landover, Philly was right up I-95.

As it turns out, I managed to catch the Dead 4 times on St. Patrick's Day. As if Deadheads needed another reason to party it up a bit. But the St. Patrick's shows were always kind of special. There was always the rumor of them breaking out St. Stephen on St. Patrick's Day (although it never happened). We were usually treated to a rarity or two. Even the more jaded heads seemed to be a little more festive on St. Patrick's Day. It's a day for fun - and the fun was in full swing.

My favorite of the 4 shows I saw was probably the first - 3-17-91 at the Cap. Centre. The first show of Spring Tour '91. The band was still recovering from the loss of Brent the previous summer and Bruce Hornsby was currently a full-time touring member of the band. That always lit a bit of a spark under Jerry. "New Speedway Boogie" was played for only the second time in about 18 years. (The return of NSB came a few weeks earlier in Oakland. I was there too

But the highlight of the night was the debut of "Rubin And Cherise". It was an old Jerry Garcia Band tune that The Dead had never played before. Hell - Even the JGB rarely played it. It took everyone completely by surprise. Another perfect example of why people went to show after show. Anything could happen.
I remember exactly what was going on when they pulled out that song. My friend Steve decided to run downstairs after "Queen Jane". He got about halfway down the steps when Jerry hit the first 3 chords of the tune. Steve stopped in his tracks, turned around and gave me one of those "Is this what I think it is?" looks. Jerry hit the same 3 chords again and Steve came bounding back up the steps, jumping up and down, WOOHOOing the whole way and gave me a big ol' hug when he made it back to our seats. Nobody really got it until Jerry started the lyrics - then the place just exploded. One of my all-time favorite Dead moments. They only played that song 3 more times before retiring it forever. We managed to see it 3 of those 4 times.

And that was just the first of 7 shows we saw that tour. Gone are the days...

#20714  by st stephen

i just got the chills reading that. for some reason when i read that your friend went to the bathroom after queen jane and then heard the 3 chords to reuben and cherise i just got the chills, thats a great story man.

#20715  by BuddhaG

hey man... i read this a few days ago but couldn't respond cuz i was at home and rukind won't let me post at home for some reason but now i feel the need to comment cuz i also got a chill through my body when i read that part... when i read that jerry hit those 3 chords and your friend came running back and gave you a big hug.

theres some kind of energy floating around that everyone who knows about it is tuned in to... or something like that...

why does anyone get the chills ever?

...its that same feeling i get when i hear a great solo or an amazing singer. i feel the truth of the action going right into and through me.

#20752  by guilhermeful dead

Got a feeling inside (Can't explain)
It's a certain kind (Can't explain)
I feel hot and cold (Can't explain)
Yeah, down in my soul, yeah (Can't explain)

I said ... (Can't explain)
I'm feeling good now, yeah, but
CAN'T EXPLAIN :cool:

#20772  by krzykat

I caught all opf those except the orlando show. thanx for bringing back some great memories

#20774  by Banjomike0319

I honestly think its just that tune (Rubin & Cherise)
those three chord can do alot to a person, I love that song and just cant get it out of my head.

Again though yes I got chills when I read that.