#20126  by justcoophere

What is the most disappointing encore you have ever seen? Whether it followed a great show or was just out-of-the-blue, left you scratching you head or was just plain boring.

#20130  by krzykat

I think liberty is a great song, but at every other show of 95 come on! (o.k. maybe not every other but more often than not)

#20135  by mttourpro

I agree with Caddy...I Fought the Law followed closely by Day Job.

If ever there was something you didn't want to be reminded about before the show ended. I think Jerry played it just to be "funny".

They played an IFTL encore after a Fall 93 Philly show that was really good. Something like a set2 Scarlet>Fire Playin>DarkStar>Terrapin D/S>(Tubular Bells space), etc...I told people I thought they played it just so most peole couldn't say it was "the best show" they saw or something to that effect.

#20147  by AugustWest

This is post dead but I think it counts. I had a 5 show run where the band I was seeing played johnny b goode for the encore. The dead >dark star orchestra> rat dog> king solomon's marbles (local band)> dark star orchestra. 5 johnny b goodes in a row I just started leaving after the third.

#20155  by Viceroy

after a hot show, i sometimes considered day job and liberty as alittle bit of a letdown. that said, any time jerry and the boys came out for one more song, i felt it too be a major priveledge. what i'd do now for the boys to play a two song set of dayjob>liberty.

#20159  by gratephulphish123

nicolasalk wrote:I don't like at all the Johnny be goode and the around and around
around and around i hate even more than day job, especially with donna. UGH! that song completely ruins shows for me

#20160  by Viceroy

i know that round n round got a bit old, especially for a show closer. i don't know if i ever saw it as an encore however.

#20165  by lostsailor8782

Oh My God I Fought The Law was Hideous ... I also saw way to many Us Blues in The 80's and Day Job was a complete wreck of a song !!!! Us Blues is a cool tune but on tour in the 80's I saw way to many so I would just hit the lot when it cranked up and try to do some vending and make gas money !!!
 #20313  by justcoophere

justcoophere wrote:What is the most disappointing encore you have ever seen? Whether it followed a great show or was just out-of-the-blue, left you scratching you head or was just plain boring.
Just realized, I started this and didn't add my two cents. Well, I have seen Knockin on Heavens door more than any other encore. Also, US blues..by the 90's was a waste of time. Johnny B. Goode never really did anything for me either IMO. But then again this is coming from someone who likes Liberty as an encore.

#20315  by shakedown_04092

I'd have to say Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Day Job, IFTL, or maybe even Bid You Goodnight. Now, I love BYG, but not as an only encore. I don't mind when it's paired w/ another song, but not solo. That's just not fair. Also - I love the song, but I hate One More Saturday Night as an encore, because if the 2nd set comes to a close and they haven't played it yet, you know it's coming, and that just plain sucks because it spoils the whole anticipation, which is one of the best parts of the encore. I know every one of us has been at a show, all giddy as hell, and turned to their friend and said something to the effect of: "oh boy oh boy oh boy, I wonder what they're gonna play!?!?!?!?!"

Actually, I just thought of another song I like, but not as an encore: Baby Blue.

Not to keep dragging the proverbial step-child into the conversation, but one thing I really liked about Phish is that they didn't have (for the most part) a "set" setlist like the Dead did. They'd play just about any song anywhere, including as an encore, where the Dead had a set "set" od songs that they'd do (esp. during the later years - Brokedown, Quinn, IFTL, Liberty, Box, Black Muddy, Baby Blue, Sat. Night, US Blues, The Weight, Knockin', etc.). Now, once in a while you'd get lucky and get a Touch, Revolution, or something tasty, but especially the later years, I bet you could've made a lot of money betting some not-so-heady-heads on which song they were gonna encore with. At least with Phish, they'd mix it up a lot more. Just sayin'.

You know what I mean, though? You just knew there was no way you were getting a Jack Straw, Bucket, Crazy Fingers, Playin', or Dire Wolf encore. Not a chance.

#20318  by deadguise

Any cover song. With all the great tunes they wrote, why end on a cover?

#20344  by gr8fulbluz

Day job got a lot of play back in the day. Not one of my favz but I was able to forgive it.
My opinion is topics like this should also include a positive, So what is the Favorite closer?

Useless Blues? on the fourth of July! predictable but it has got to be done.;)

How about a one more sat. night on a Friday, I like that one.

Box of rain was a good encore, and the last ever :(

I must admit I dont have one favorite, I am a wacky little freak like that. But something you just dont expect as an encore was always a treat. And who doesn't like a treat

#20345  by CaptainTrips

shakedown_04092 wrote:You just knew there was no way you were getting a Jack Straw, Bucket, Crazy Fingers, Playin', or Dire Wolf encore. Not a chance.
Imagine wrapping up a gem of a show with a smoking Crazy Fingers or a scorching Bucket, man that could have taken alot of the so-so later shows and turn them great.

I also agree that its a bit lame to end off a show with a cover, but when it comes to originals . . . Myself, I never liked to hear One More Saturday Night as an encore. I can handle it mid set but not to close. Never saw Jerry but I saw the Other Ones a couple of times and they ended the show with Bobby's Sat Night and I was mildy pissed.