#20068  by Candyman421

now im only 21 so i never saw the boys, but i do have over 150 shows on disc that my uncle ( who has seen 40+ shows) has given, about 3 or 4 times a week me and my roomate will bust out the bong turn the lights down and pop in some good ole grateful dead, now my uncle says i cant be a deadhead because i never saw him, he says im a dead fan. i feel like hes looking downward on me for something i cant control (my age), just wonderin if the old deadheads kind of look down upon the younger people who listen to "their" music

#20071  by Chief5959

I do not think that older deads look down on younger fans at least I do not. What you would hope for is that people who find the band now continue the journey to listen to as much different types of music as you are drawn to. One thing that sometimes bothers me about the world around the GD scene is it that it becomes very insular with people listening to show after show and may close themselves off from things happening now.

#20072  by b weird

I think the only younger Deadheads the older dudes look down apon are the ones who only started liking the Dead for "Touch Of Grey". Then those Younger "Deadheads" would just be fakers.

#20073  by Shaggy

Chief5959 wrote:I do not think that older deads look down on younger fans at least I do not. What you would hope for is that people who find the band now continue the journey to listen to as much different types of music as you are drawn to. One thing that sometimes bothers me about the world around the GD scene is it that it becomes very insular with people listening to show after show and may close themselves off from things happening now.
Me too. Listening to dead all day every day and no other music isn't my idea of being a music fan. I am a huge music fan who loves the music of the Grateful Dead. Just because someone heard it first doesn't mean it's theirs. It's open for anyone. Like Jerry said once he'd played that note he was finished with it, it was anyones for anything.

Don't worrying about putting a label on yourself, it doesn't really matter.

#20074  by Rev_Roach

b weird wrote:I think the only younger Deadheads the older dudes look down apon are the ones who only started liking the Dead for "Touch Of Grey". Then those Younger "Deadheads" would just be fakers.
So what if thats how they started? so long as they progress from that

#20076  by Viceroy

As a veteran head who has seen over 100 shows from 1978 to 1995,consider yourself a bonafide deadhead my friend. keep up the good work. I am sure we will all see our kids, grandkids and more someday as dead heads. you just missed the touring generation, which must sting alittle, but it sounds like your doing all the right things.

#20077  by b weird

Rev_Roach wrote:
b weird wrote:I think the only younger Deadheads the older dudes look down apon are the ones who only started liking the Dead for "Touch Of Grey". Then those Younger "Deadheads" would just be fakers.
So what if thats how they started? so long as they progress from that
I'm talking about the "Touch Heads" the ones who only went to the show just to hear "Touch", and could care less about the slower songs like "Stella Blue", and "China Doll", and the like. Some of the older "Heads" must know the ones I'm talking about.

#20082  by Candyman421

viceroy said:
you just missed the touring generation, which must sting alittle

it stings more than a little, id fuckin give my left ring finger to see them, i saw phish like 25 times, and i just know that the dead would just blow them out of the water. every concert me and my roommate go to we say "man i wish we were goin to see the dead right now" i know thats a bad habit, but its true. i guess the closest ill ever get is watchin downhill from here dvd or seeing Dark Star orchestra.

not that im being defensive at all, but im nowhere near a touch head, my uncle and dad who got me into this music showed me all the classics first (i dont even own a studio album), like crazy fingers (my pops favorite tune), black peter, TOO, the wheel, tleo, gdtrfb, terrapin

#20084  by Candyman421

thanx for the replies though

#20088  by CountryMile Cadillac

Hey man, don't regret not seeing them. Just enjoy them as much as you can. There is no criteria for becoming a Head, just be yourself and let the labels fall where they may.

#20089  by BlobWeird

Hey candyman. Im in the same boat as you. My dad is a deadhead and has asked me when i was a kid to go to see Jerry with him (which i do not remember at all) and i would say no way I cant stand that stuff. Now i kick myself! But yeah being 22 i never saw them either. Cant say I never had the "chance" cuz yeah as I said i did have the chance. But ive been listenin for about 4 years now and it does sting like hell. Makes ya wanna cry really. But i just try my best to play the music and respect it and hopefully one day there will be someone alive who i can go see that does it for me like Jerry does it for me.

#20094  by Candyman421

o man id kick my own ass if i refused a concert, that sucks man, oo well. anyways is their a nice sized community of young jamband fans in jersey, because it is really few and far between, i guess it just seems that way because their isnt a central place where we can all go to, to let loose, for example A GRATEFUL DEAD CONCERT

#20117  by Rev_Roach

BlobWeird wrote:Now i kick myself! But yeah being 22 i never saw them either. Cant say I never had the "chance" cuz yeah as I said i did have the chance. But ive been listenin for about 4 years now and it does sting like hell. Makes ya wanna cry really.
That's exactly my situation with Phish. I'm 20, so i wouldve been kind of young but definitely possible to see them. Thing is i didn't really get into them until the last year or two. Wish I'd caught on to them as early as the dead...

#20119  by deadguise

I "forced" my sons to see The Other Ones and they both were glad that I did. Now they keep stealing my Dicks Picks.
To be a Dead Head, all you need is to love the music and understand where they're coming from.

#20178  by krzykat

deadguise wrote:I "forced" my sons to see The Other Ones and they both were glad that I did. Now they keep stealing my Dicks Picks.
To be a Dead Head, all you need is to love the music and understand where they're coming from.
My daughter is 10 now she has seen Phil about 30 times (her name is Kahlia, second verse cosmic charlie). My ex took her to about the same amount of phish shows, she has also seen Panic about 15 times. As well as a number of various regge shows. I wanted to make sure that music was an integral part of her life.