#20019  by Candyman421

i absolutely love these songs wharf, china, loser, black peter, i realize they are sad songs, if you will, but my uncle who has seen the dead over 40 times says these were his bathroom songs, im only 21 so i never had the privlige to grace a dead show, but weve had many of debates about it, hes more of scarlet-fire, and TOO kinda guy, where i can always go for a good it mustve been the roses, what do you guys think

#20021  by ebick

Black Peter was always (for me) a let down song late in the 2nd set, but the others...Wharf, China Doll, Loser......hard to call those bathroom songs....IMO

#20036  by LazyLightnin

wow i love em all! Wharf Rat would be the let down in the 2nd set for me, unless Jerry does some really creative stuff during the intro. well really my 2nd set let down would be Samba, but you all know that already.

#20042  by strumminsix

slow songs are potty songs for me too.

figure a jam is coming up next and unload now.

#20047  by ronster

I love all of those tunes, china doll is the only one I might even remotely consider walking out on but never an issue as Brent or Bob would always pull out a bathroom tune. I lttle surprised that any one in this group would consider leaving during Wharf Rat. Say it aint so.

#20049  by caspersvapors

none of those would be bathroom songs for me

#20050  by strumminsix

ronster wrote:I love all of those tunes, china doll is the only one I might even remotely consider walking out on but never an issue as Brent or Bob would always pull out a bathroom tune. I lttle surprised that any one in this group would consider leaving during Wharf Rat. Say it aint so.
Slow Jerry tunes were always bathroom breaks for me. I liked to dance and jam and groove at shows and the ones listed were move swaying oriented. The beauty of Wharf rat is that you can goto the bathroom and make it back in time for "I'll get up and fly away" which is where the song gets interesting for me.

#20051  by jackr

I like sader more mellow tunes alot.

Wharf Rat and China Doll were fantastic.

Those are all great but I did not like at the end of the show when they "petered out" Black Peter - Around and Around.

That was a let down for me also.

#20052  by AugustWest

I just held it in until drums space.

#20053  by gratephulphish123

i'd go during the setbreak...

#20055  by strumminsix

Man, I can't get into slow songs at concerts.
I want them to boogie and make me move!!!!!

Besides, and not to be mean, but the GD weren't known for vocals.

#20056  by Shaggy

In later years when they didn't jam as tight as they used to and the vocals were a little more shaky than at their peak, it's the slower more powerful tunes that became, at times, became more interesting.

Jerry's post 86 voice was perfect for those ballads.

#20057  by strumminsix

Shaggy wrote:Jerry's post 86 voice was perfect for those ballads.
(here comes TS to tell us that ballad does not mean a slow song)

Ya, I can see that. But I never got pulled into that paternal Jerry thing that most people I know did. To me, when he sounded all "elderly and wise" I was disappointed in a way. I liked the ragged or rockin' or happy jammin' Jerry. Didn't see that much in the 90s.

#20059  by Shaggy

For me it's not about getting pulled into any Jerry thing, it's the song, always the song that pulls you in and how that song is delivered is key.

#20060  by Rev_Roach

maybe China Doll, but i couldnt even consider leaving a Black Peter or Loser, let along Wharf Rat!