#1926  by slaevid

we miss ya jerry.. thanks for the music

#1927  by Steven From NC

Rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb, you know better but I know him.
Like I told you, what I said, Steal your face right off your head.

Now he's gone, now he's gone, Lord he's gone, he's gone.
Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track
He's gone, gone, nothin's gonna bring him back...He's gone.

Nine mile skid on a ten mile ride, hot as a pistol but cool inside.
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Now he's gone, now he's gone Lord he's gone, he's gone.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.
Lost one round but the price wasn't anything,
A knife in the back and more of the same.

Same old, rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb,
You know better but I know him.
Like I told you, what I said,
Steal your face right off your head.

Now he's gone, now he's gone Lord he's gone, he's gone.

Ooh, nothin's gonna bring him back.
-The Grateful Dead "He's Gone"

Rest in Peace Jerry Garcia
 #1928  by jake

thank you
 #1929  by just me

Not to say that this is my favorite memory... Jerry gave me sooooo many memories so freely.... but in it's own special little way, it does stand out..

One day, maybe in the Summer of 90, my sister was visiting from Iowa w/ her son who was about five, maybe six. I thought I'd take them to tour the City and we started in GG Park. We were just strolling through the park, and rounded a bend leading to the Caorusel. I thought it would be nice to take my nephew on a ride. There wasn't any line, so I purchased two tickets, a postcard, and we climbed on the antique painted ponies while my sister decided to wait it out. After more than a few circles I remember thinking to myself, "wow, I thought it was going to be a short ride-- they sure do give you more than your money worth on this ride" After a few more circles I started to get a bit bored, and began to look around.

Just then, I saw Jerry w/ his youngest daughter who must have been about five or so, patiently waiting in line holding hands. They were alone. I remember being so excited that I wanted to leap off the ride. Anyhow, the ride continued and we circled for what seemed like an eternity. As the pace slowed and came to a stop, they were still standing there alone in line. Even now, I can't remember ever being so excited in my adult life--

I was so nervous and excited, but just walked up to him tryin' to play it as cool as possible and introduced myself. Bruce Hornsby was a semi regular on stage, so I asked him if Bruce was in his band. He chuckled in a friendly way and said, "It's not really MY band, but he sure is acting like it". He asked me my name, and even autographed my postcard.

In realtime it was quite a short meeting, but I was aware enough to realize that we were no longer alone, and people were starting to notice him... I wanted to ask him to take a picture with us, but refrained, as this was hardly a publicity event. After all, he was just out to enjoy the day with his daughter.

I like to remember Jerry this way, as a regular guy, just like all of us... Yes, we all have our demons, some call them skeletons, but I wasn't loaded that morning and neither was he...

We were just two regular guys in the Park, trying to enjoy a beautiul Summer day with our families....

:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #1930  by Fadeproof

And in the end there's just a song,
comes crying like the wind,
Through all the broken dreams,
and vanished years,
Stella Blue.

We love you Jerry, now and forever,
JJL and family

#1931  by nathe

i still listen to you every day! the music still hasn't stopped

#1932  by Guest

I remember it like it was yesterday...
Merriweather Post pavilion 1985

I was looking to hang out with Jerry and bumped into his daughter Annibell in the hotel lobby.

She invited my sister, nephue and myself up to her room where we hung out for some time.

She told us stories of her childhood and played us an audio tape of the band members fooling around back stage. I began to see Jerry for the MAN that he was...not just the musical icon.

I remember saying how great it would be if Jerry came back and I could meet him. She informed me that if he came in and found us there it would not go over well...so instead of pissing off my musical idol, we left.

I never did meet him in person, but always felt like I knew him better from that meeting with his daughter.

I miss him as a fan and student of his music, but remind myself that the people who lost the most are his true family.

I'm glad I found his music. I'm glad I had that meeting and I'm glad to have the memories of all of those good times with friends and strangers alike at all of those shows I went to.

But right now the Garcia/Grissman cover of the Miles Davis song So What is starting, so I have to go.

To Jerry and the rest of our extended family...Thanks for everything.

#1934  by gr8fulbluz

I cant believe it is 10 years
10 years and what a difference a day makes
 #1936  by goldmund

I have been thinking so much about you the past couple of days. I was just turning 18 when you passed away. I don't even want to say it was the music, I was absolutely touched and changed by everything that happened in those halls, arenas, stadiums, and even more intimately in the small theatres with the JGB. Although I wasn't there to see and feel and hear 'till the 11th hour, you fundamentally changed my life and the way I see the world.

It took me a while to process what had happened after you left. Floating in and out of Rasta/Christian doctrines, I almost tryed to ignore it. It wasn't until 2000, when I was listening to a show on the internet when it all came rushing back. I cried.

Why is it that whenever you feel such deep love, it seems to go awry?
 #1937  by friend of the dead

I last saw jerry in pittsburgh 1995.He and the boys controlled the weather that day, truelly amazing. I Went to the 20th annual Jerry Garcia bash last week with Ratdog. I still felt the vibe and was among people who love Jerry and the music as much as I do.On the second night, Bobby busted out a brokedown palace that had most of the crowd in tears. It just goes to show that Jerrys music meant so much more to people than most music. Nothing else even comes close! Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul!!
Thanks to "ripple" for robert hunters eulogy. I always get tearry eyed when i read those words. I miss Jerry everyday and am inspired by him everyday. It's good to see that he is remembered and loved so much. Thank you Jerry for all the great years!!!! You know our love will not fade away!!!!

Go to live365.com and find the station friends of the dead for a special Jerry memorial program in august. The program includes some really cool band rehrarsals.
 #1938  by Grateful Dan

We will always miss Jerry and his music will always be in our hearts and smiles.

Make No Left Turn Unstoned!

Dan

#1939  by Guest

like a steam locamotive rollin' down the track
He's gone, gone, nothin's gonna bring him back...
he's gone
WE miss you jer, WE always will
Thanksfor a real good time
 #1940  by kevin

That is the best old tyme music ever. The LostPizza Tapes the best
 #1941  by guest

you and your music is my life... though never being able to even see you, you are my greatest inspiration. thanks jerry

#1942  by Guest

thank you jerry.

may your incarnate rest softly in the dirt but your soul remain with all of us.