name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #17267  by jackr

Just joined, nice to find this forum.

My story briefly is that I LOVE to play guitar. Unfortunately I haven't found anyone in my area to jam with. Hopefully that will change soon.

I traveled with the dead for about 5 years in the late 70's ( i am 47)

I played guitar in a blues band but then in 1987, I got sober, life happened (wife, kids, job etc) and I put the instrument down for 19 years! (something I regret now) but I have picked it back up with a vengence. Love to play the blues and dead of course.

I play a SRV Strat with a Fender Twin Reverb Amp.

Looking forward to joining your little community here.

#17269  by ebick

Welcome.

I'm in the Orlando area, but I expect to be spending a good deal of the month of July in Boynton Beach. Perhaps we can arrange something then.

Ed

#17276  by strumminsix

Welcome! Congrats on picking again and welcome to aboard!

#17304  by d-v-s

Jack,
whoa - u hung up the guitar for 19 years for your wife and kids. Damn man, that's devotion. Hats off to you.

I was put in the same situation - not enough time for wife, kids, work, AND guitar - but found secret plan B - buy a cheap guitar for the office and jam during my lunch hour and break times.

Any ways, welcome to the forum.

#17305  by jackr

thanks for the welcomes.

I didnt put it down for them, I put it down for me. I just had other priorities and that wasnt one of them.

I had a very very hard time getting sober off a bad herion addiction. When I was straight I played very poorly and then sort of lost interest, went to tons of 12 step meetings and found other hobbies. I picked it up only very occassionally.

I had to stay away from "people, places and things". For me the Dead and playing music was a "thing" I was always high doing. I never lost my love of the music but my love of staying alive was stronger.

Now after 20 years clean I have no problem with it. That may have been the case after a year or two clean but I was into other things by then.

Hope that makes sense.

#17307  by d-v-s

jack - makes plenty of sense. You definitely made the right choice. again, my hat's off to you for sobering up. It's a task that some people spend the rest of their life trying to do - i didn't go thru it myself, but I read a lot of William Burroughs' writings about addiction, as well as other authors.

Luckily I read them when I was young, before I was put in the position to decide whether or not to use, and after reading about the horrors of breaking the habit once you start, i decided to stay away from the hard drugs.

Congrats on cleaning up, and welcome again.

#17308  by confusions_prince

Welcome, Jack. Nice to see you back on the bus.

#17309  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Welcome! I am a fellow Floridian. Live down in Miami Beach.

#18773  by delilah

Hi there. Nice to meet you. Congratulations on sobering up etc. I live in Stuart and play guitar. I'd love to hook up with another guitar player who plays Dead songs. I know lots of them. I was in a Dead cover band several years ago. All my jamming buddies have either moved away or are too busy with their lives to play anymore. I joined this forum today hoping to find someone to play with. Contact me delilah814u@aol.com or delilah_fl_63 on yahoo messenger

#19015  by cuznt

never give up the guitar again.
congrats on the soberness