Chat about Equipment Info

#18918  by BayAreaBB

I totally agree. I'm sure it's that slight gain even with the sliders at -0-.

I do like the pedal and it is definitely improved vs. the stock GE-7.

I'm still trying to nail that nasaly 90s distortion sound. I've increased the gain on my OD-2r and upped the mids on the EQ while lowering the trebs. Also by doing this, I've got to drop the level on the EQ as well, for the gain reason. Any thoughts?

#18920  by jahozer

BayAreaBB wrote: I'm still trying to nail that nasaly 90s distortion sound. I've increased the gain on my OD-2r and upped the mids on the EQ while lowering the trebs. Also by doing this, I've got to drop the level on the EQ as well, for the gain reason. Any thoughts?
I think in the 80's up until 93 when they got that new sound system and lost the amps (and EVERYTHING sounded nasally, imho) Jerry used a Boss HM-2 HEAVY METAL 2. That will give you that harmonic break up you are looking for. I know it sounds cheesy, but it really is that thin distortion that in the hands of Jerry sounded great, but in the hands of RATT or Quiet Riot or other some such, sounded like, well...

#18921  by strumminsix

BayAreaBB wrote:I totally agree. I'm sure it's that slight gain even with the sliders at -0-.

I do like the pedal and it is definitely improved vs. the stock GE-7.

I'm still trying to nail that nasaly 90s distortion sound. I've increased the gain on my OD-2r and upped the mids on the EQ while lowering the trebs. Also by doing this, I've got to drop the level on the EQ as well, for the gain reason. Any thoughts?
How are you running it:

EQ > OD or OD > EQ

When I think of nasally I think of
- little to no bass
- instead strong low mids
- stronger mids
- little to no presence
- very little trebble
- instead very strong high mids

And I'd suggest EQ > OD and then try it the other way around!

#18951  by BayAreaBB

I'm currently running it OD > EQ. I'll try switching it around.

I don't follow the rest of your post. What settings would you recommend on the EQ ?

#18956  by strumminsix

BayAreaBB wrote:I'm currently running it OD > EQ. I'll try switching it around.

I don't follow the rest of your post. What settings would you recommend on the EQ ?

When I think of nasally I think of
- little to no bass
- instead strong low mids
- stronger mids
- little to no presence
- very little trebble
- instead very strong high mids

So based on that here is the GE-7:

100 -3
200 -2
400 +1
800 +3
1.6 +3
3.2 +2
6.4 -2

What I'm trying to help you to do is get the honk that is really strong in the midrange.

#18960  by BayAreaBB

Right on - thanks. I'll try it tonite and report back.

FWIW on a previous post - I don't recall ever seeing a HM-2 in the effects chain. I could be wrong.

#18961  by strumminsix

BayAreaBB wrote:I don't recall ever seeing a HM-2 in the effects chain. I could be wrong.
I think you are right. I've never seen it either. Thought it was an DS-1 or OD-1.